Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #24961
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
I want to get some clip in pedals which also work with regular shoes. Am I right that any pedal labelled as "spd" is what I am looking for?
Yes and no.

SPD (Shimano Pedaling Dynamics) is actually a Shimano abbreviation for their style of pedal. Generally, any shoe that is labeled "SPD compatible" will work with most SPD and mountain bike pedals. Your commnonly available SPD style pedals are going to be the least expensive way to get into clipless (meaninig no toe clips) pedals.

However, I prefer the ease and smoothness of Crank Brothers pedals. Time Roc is, also, much smoother than SPD style pedals. If you look at an SPD pedal, you'll see that it relies on the cleat fitting within notches of the mechainism. Crank Brothers and Time, both, retain the cleat with springs that have no notches and therefore allow the cleat to float and have a much easier release. There is no notchiness with them.

I'd recommend finding a shop that stocks a variety of shoes and pedals. Find shoes that are comfortable and, then, try the different styles of pedals with those shoes. If the shop won't allow you to test their stuff, find another shop. Also, don't allow the shop to talk you into a stiff, racing style shoe, as they're just not worth the tradeoffs in a day-to-day environment.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #24962
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
I plan to set it up with studded tires and continue through winter. Lots of folks manage it here so I figure, why not me too?
I run Nokian W240. They're brilliant. Unfortunately, they do nothing against the snow drifts.

A lot of studded tire info here.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #24963
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Shimano does make a two sided pedal that has SPD on one side and a normal "Platform" on the otherside if you wish to be able to used different shoes. They are pretty decent pedals.

+1 on Crank Brothers, though. I have been using them for a while and like them. You can get pedals that have a platform the surrounds the clip-in part (from a number of different companies) and that may work for you, but it's never a sure footing if you aren't clipped in.

Oh, Peter White. I wish that crotchety man would hire someone to make him a new website.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #24964
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,400
I've been using the Time Atac's for years, and really like them. They are easy to ride around with sneakers if you want.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #24965
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
speaking of pedals, and resuming my earlier thread of platforms, I ended up ordering a pair of Wellgo B67's from fleabay.

these sound like they are better than the sunringle's I had, and cheap enough for me. I'm not hucking or jumping or even single tracking on this bike, so I don't need bombproof stuff. I saw several suggestions in online reviews to locktite the pins, so I'll likely do that, and since i'm NOT hucking, I'll probably smooth the tops of the pins off a bit with my dremel.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #24966
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Shimano does make a two sided pedal that has SPD on one side and a normal "Platform" on the otherside if you wish to be able to used different shoes. They are pretty decent pedals.
My GF has a set of those. She's always looking down, upon takeoff, trying to get them flipped to the side she wants. Looks like a PITA, to me. Likewise, her resisting to try anything else. I just ride my bike and leave hers up to her.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #24967
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Ha, that's funny. I've never used them, just have a few friends that do. I guess I don't know if they have issues with them, they just seem decently made.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #24968
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
indeed, pedals that have to be right side up, meh. and I've seen some that are like a 'bear paw' around a SPD on both sides, and been told that they are really hard to snap into with cleats.

I'm sticking with pin platforms like the ones I pasted above from now on for anything other than a full out roadbike.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #24969
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
My GF has a set of those. She's always looking down, upon takeoff, trying to get them flipped to the side she wants. Looks like a PITA, to me. Likewise, her resisting to try anything else. I just ride my bike and leave hers up to her.

I own a pair like that, and when they're lubricated correctly, the platform side always flips down - it's the heavier side. If you want the platform side up, put your foot on the back of the pedal and 'flip' it so the platform's up, and then set your foot down on it. Even if it's not, a couple strokes pedaling on the clipped side ain't gonna kill ya.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #24970
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,298
My eight year old.

Garthe screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 09:54 PM
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #24971
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Nice! Next a teeter-totter!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #24972
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,074
Guys, thanks to all for the info on the pedals, that is very helpful.

Nokian winter tire it is..,I don't know if you're even allowed to use anything else in Finland
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #24973
Garthe

I had a BIG cup of coffee this morning and came up with this obstacle, for Aidan to try.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #24974
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

I had a BIG cup of coffee this morning and came up with this obstacle, for Aidan to try.
Has he gotten back on a motor bike? Seems to me like when he does he's gonna be giving Villapoto a run for his money.

How'd you guys do last weekend?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #24975
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Has he gotten back on a motor bike?

How'd you guys do last weekend?
No motobike and NO motocross.

He's starting bicycle trials events, in a couple of months. They're put on by a moto trials club. If he likes it, I'll get him a fancy moto trials bike. That's the goal. But, it's still full steam ahead with BMX racing. The trials thing is for the 'fun' of it. .

He got two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th. Very tough track and riders. He's got 19 wins, 6 more to go, till he turns Expert.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: