ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #4681
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 267
[QUOTE=Shov3BR;19386763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawJaw View Post
I have searched and searched ... anyone have pics of how you ran the Rugged Mount wiring through the dash of a 990 in a clean way?

The bike is on its way back from Uzbekistan. When it gets here I'll pull the cradle off and take better pics of the cable and cradle on the bench.
Is it OK to quote your own post? Hope so 'cause here is the promised pic of the cradle and cable mods:

The lump in the cable between the cradle & the "Y" is where I shortened it. I put the Baryl plug as close to the "Y" as I could and still get heat shrink on it. It plugs into our Panel Mount Baryl Socket:

Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #4682
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Rugged mount and power connection

I searched but came up empty even though I know this was discussed at one time.

I'm finally getting around to hard wiring power on the rugged mount and I can't remember if the rugged mount, without the Montana in it, draws some power or not.

On a related note, anyone know where to grab switched power on a KLX250s? If not, I'll just wire it to the battery unless it will draw power even when the Montana is removed.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #4683
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post

I'm finally getting around to hard wiring power on the rugged mount and I can't remember if the rugged mount, without the Montana in it, draws some power or not.

On a related note, anyone know where to grab switched power on a KLX250s? If not, I'll just wire it to the battery unless it will draw power even when the Montana is removed.

Thanks,

Jon...
The Rugged Mount has no electronic components. The connector goes directly to the Montana. So, no power drain when the Montana is out of the Mount.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #4684
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post

Thanks,

Jon...
Have all four of our Rugged Mounts connected directly to the batteries on our two BMWs and Suzukis and never has this affected the batteries in any way. My original F8 battery quit after four years, but the mount had nothing to do with that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #4685
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Excellent.....thanks!

Guess I'll just wire it directly for now.

Jon...
Old 08-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #4686
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Montana 650T with Topo map loaded

So , I have the above and when I try to route a simple road route it says "Route calculation error: Maps do not have routable roads in this area"
I have the profile set for automotive so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any track or route i ask it to follow simply puts it in as a straight line rather then following a road. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Ken
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4687
Crash217
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Late to the thread, I need a GPS. Me and 2 buddies are riding the TAT from central Oklahoma into Colorado and back to make an IBA Dusty Butt 1000 ride. Will this Montana do the trick? What the most solid mount to use with a cross bar handlebar? Need info quickly as we leave on the first. Just PM me links or post here.
Crash217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #4688
Crash217
Gnarly Adventurer

Late to the thread, I need a GPS. Me and 2 buddies are riding the TAT from central Oklahoma into Colorado and back to make an IBA Dusty Butt 1000 ride. Will this Montana do the trick? What the most solid mount to use with a cross bar handlebar? Need info quickly as we leave on the first. Just PM me links or post here.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #4689
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash217 View Post
Oh, sure the Montana does..but just Mid Oklahoma > Colo..get a used or refurbished Garmin 60 CSx at a lot less and easy peasy in learning how to use it. You don't have enough time to learn the intricacies of a Montana which can be !@#$%....

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #4690
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Oh, sure the Montana does..but just Mid Oklahoma > Colo..get a used or refurbished Garmin 60 CSx at a lot less and easy peasy in learning how to use it. You don't have enough time to learn the intricacies of a Montana which can be !@#$%....

cheers...
Although the Montana can do a lot of things, suggesting that it is too difficult to be used to navigate simple Tracks is absurd. Use the Motorcycle Profile and get on with it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #4691
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Although the Montana can do a lot of things, suggesting that it is too difficult to be used to navigate simple Tracks is absurd. Use the Motorcycle Profile and get on with it.

Cheers,
Took me a day or so to install the memory card, the CNNA, the Topo, a bunch of recommended tracks provided by others, and become familiar with the unit. The default Motorcycle Profile and the Automotive Profile is what I've been playing with. I'm headed out for a ten day ride in a week and am quite confident in being able to use this unit for navigaton both on road and off the beaten path.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #4692
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Cheers,
This was not to convey that the Montana was really too difficult..but these guys are in search for a first GPS and want a Montana to guide them within such a short time frame..do they have time to learn the basics of this GPS including maybe BaseCamp too??

cheers

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 05:20 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #4693
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
This was not to convey that the Montana was really too difficult..but these guys are in search for a first GPS and want a Montana to guide them within such a short time frame..do they have time to learn the basics of this GPS including maybe BaseCamp too??

cheers
Since the OP came here looking for advice and has a short time line, I must assume that the OP has some GPS knowledge since they are planning to do a portion of the TAT for an Iron Butt and would have needed to create the Tracks necessary for navigation at a minimum.

If they have no knowledge of Garmin GPS's or BaseCamp then they have no business taking on the TAT with any GPS and should stick with the Rollcharts and paper maps they purchased from Jim.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #4694
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash217 View Post
The Montana will do just fine. Assuming you have already created in BaseCamp the Tracks you will need to navigate. Take the Rollchart and paper maps you acquired from Jim as backup of course. You will want the Garmin AMPS Rugged Mount. It will require a RAM AMPS Square Based Ball, Short or Std Arm and a Ball-Bar Camp for 1/2" bar.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #4695
Crash217
Gnarly Adventurer

I have used garmins before, but I don't currently have one on my klr. I have all the maps. My riding partner has the maps and GPS tracks, and has done the TAT before, Oklahoma several times. I'm just getting one as a backup, and to use later.

As long as one of us has the route, we are both more than well equipped mentally and physically to do the dusty butt. And barring a crash, the bikes are mechanically sound.

Heck, we did an endurocross race on our klrs yesterday.

And it sounds a lot more fun and challenging than plotting out a 20 mile dirt road loop and making laps for the ride