Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
FWIW, I am unsure about the ability of the iPad to interface with USB devices, specifically a Garmin GPS. The USB interface is currently limited to keyboards, card readers, and a camera USB storage profile. I do not believe that iOS has support for end-user installed USB device profiles, which means even if there was a version of BaseCamp for iOS, it could not interface with a Garmin GPS.
I have always had the same concern re: USB but there may be other ways Garmin can move data between iOS devices and Garmin GPS's. From my forum question to the BaseCamp Team, it appears as though BaseCamp Mobile will only be iOS to start.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #17
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
From what I know so far, it appears as though this app will have very little in common with BaseCamp other than in name. If that is the case, I think Garmin will have made almost as big a mistake as they did making the nuvifone.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
FWIW, I am unsure about the ability of the iPad to interface with USB devices, specifically a Garmin GPS. The USB interface is currently limited to keyboards, card readers, and a camera USB storage profile. I do not believe that iOS has support for end-user installed USB device profiles, which means even if there was a version of BaseCamp for iOS, it could not interface with a Garmin GPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I have always had the same concern re: USB but there may be other ways Garmin can move data between iOS devices and Garmin GPS's. From my forum question to the BaseCamp Team, it appears as though BaseCamp Mobile will only be iOS to start.
This simply isn't true. Apple provides various API's to communicate with other devices, over USB or Bluetooth or WiFi.

For example, my GPS app can connect with a bluetooth heart rate monitor and attach my heart rate to my GPX file (handy feature on the bicycle), and there are USB devices that let you interface with a car's ODB-II diagnostics port. For example:

Name:  mzl.rmwvvaho.480x480-75.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  44.2 KB

Garmin can certainly integrate their GPS devices with an iPad. Some of their competitors have already done so (though none that I've seen so far do a good job).
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #19
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Which iOS app is that that interfaces with a USB OBD-II device?