Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #46
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by redirt View Post
$2800 in new wiring for a 2012 Prius after rats chewed on some wires. Rat's nest in the truck (1995 toyota) airbox after 2 weeks, the tunnel is exactly the right size for a brown rat to cruise thru..
We've used electric traps with success (easy to clean), use rat repellent (predator scent stuff) and I keep the vehicles as far as possible from any food source. Make sure there's no food inside the vehicle, I try to not eat inside my cars for that exact reason. I hate those fucking rats

The Toyota rep told my friend it's very common. Part of the Prius "green" package is vegetable based wire insulation. Rodents think of it as a salad harness....
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #47
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 367
Tried teh bothballs in the shed one winter. Thought it worked till I cam in at night and shined a flashlight up to the rafter, and saw a squirrle sitting there playing with one of the mothballs.

Then I tried 22 shorts... that worked GREAT!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #48
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Use Golden Malrin fly bait mixed with Coca-Cola in a dish. They'll be dead within 50 feet. Works on coons and possums, too.
Nothing I want to pay for....not my abandoned house!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #49
Porkchop316 OP
Patent pending

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear View Post
I'm buying several of these this winter ..

http://www.rid-a-rat.com/html/catalog.html
Hey walkingbear, this looks interesting. Have you seen it firsthand? Someone earlier here mentioned flashing lights from the local ACE hardware store. Sounds like this is an amped up version of that.
Porkchop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #50
Porkchop316 OP
Patent pending

Ace flashers

Picked up the ACE Hardware flashers. They are cheap and easy to mount or place almost anywhere. Also got the EarthKind smelly stuff. As a bonus it sweetens up the shop as well. All of this, along with cutting the trees, seems to have helped.

I have no doubt the saga will continue.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #51
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,470
ironically, my friends fancy brand new holden commodore ute, limited edition thunder wank wank thing, had an air bag light come on, being only a few months old, she took it to the dealership.

you need a complete new wiring harness, a few grand, not covered under warrantee, rats have chewed all your wiring harness up. she asked for pics, and their are distinct chew marks, all through the wiring, through outer sleeve covers etc.

she isnt happy.
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #52
LBourque
G/S nut

Oddometer: 227
Leave the hood open

Got em here in N. AZ as well. Leave the hood open. Now that the mesquite trees are dropping pods like crazy I'm on the hunt for mice and rats. Traps,poison,buckets,dogs and anything to stop them from making a home. Chewed through a wiring harness already.
LBourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #53
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,047
Been away for a month, mice moved back in the shop.Dammit...smart ones also, already released 4 traps and ate the dog food/bait. Water bucket and baited empty roll of TP on the string comes out tonight.I'll catch the whole family...
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #54
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
The Toyota rep told my friend it's very common. Part of the Prius "green" package is vegetable based wire insulation. Rodents think of it as a salad harness....
Rodents have been chewing on wires long before "green" was a thing. I had a no-start one day in the early 1970's on my 2002 model BMW and found the harness at the firewall chewed into-right at entry point-hard to repair too.
In my shop I've found that the "stick type" bait works best as they eat it where I throw it(back under stuff & along walls) rather than the smaller bits which they carry all over & store for later. I never nail it to a board & they eat it ,stink for a few days & die. The sticky traps are a waste if you are generating any filth in your shop as the just pick up junk and the don't work. If you have'nt noticed the government in it's infinite wisdom has decreed that you must now buy the poison in 4# or larger amounts! I paid like $17 for a bucket last week, whereas I used to buy the yellow,corn based sticks for like $3-4 per 6/8 long sticks. The farm supply guy said he thinks the govt is trying to favor a big donor as it's obviously not safer to have the poison you don't use laying around for a kid to get into.
Chipmunks under our hoods carry acorns in there but don't seem to knaw on anything else.

kantuckid screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 05:54 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #55
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I had a no-start one day in the early 1970's on my 2003 model BMW...
Check your flux capacitor, Doc
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #56
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

it was a 1969 year model BMW model 2002 -it was a typo folks... now back to rat poison!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #57
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
About 15 years ago, the electronic repellers worked for my house. I had mice aplenty, and some rats occasionally. Bought 6 of the plug-in ultrasonic thingys and within a month or two they moved out and never ever never came back. Down to two of them still plugged in.

You can get them at your local homeworld type store. If there's a plug in the attic for your furnace, definitly plug one in there too.
Idle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #58
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I will add this note on what works: those galvanized boxes with the paddle wheel flipper inside will catch mice like you've never seen! I have them in an outside basement area where we used to store firewood under a porch & have emptied as many as 5-6 mouse corpses at a time! Hose them out and rebait with a dollop of peanut butter on the touch pad.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #59
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,474
Here's a good one

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/easterly110.html

Hope the link works. I'll be trying this out soon. !@$#@%&*varmints!!!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #60
Porkchop316 OP
Patent pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I will add this note on what works: those galvanized boxes with the paddle wheel flipper inside will catch mice like you've never seen! I have them in an outside basement area where we used to store firewood under a porch & have emptied as many as 5-6 mouse corpses at a time! Hose them out and rebait with a dollop of peanut butter on the touch pad.
Kantuckid, is this what you are talking about? Never heard of this but I'm sure willing to try it.

http://www.amazon.com/Kness-101-0-00.../dp/B00004RA4D