Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
rubline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The Golden Road is closed to 2 wheel traffic period, dont even bother to try. Dont forget that week is our Moose hunt week so if your in the trails may I suggest some safety orange.
rubline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #32
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Toss me on the maybe list, might have to bail on the 24th though.

How many miles you thinking to cover each day?
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #33
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,757
AtlasExp is the first definite, we shall be trailering together from NYC, details not yet ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
Toss me on the maybe list, might have to bail on the 24th though.

How many miles you thinking to cover each day?
Will do! I'd say if we stick to route it should be two days each way so I'd figure with detours probably 5-6 round trip. We are going west to east.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #34
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,324
So how many mies per day is that? My bike is back together. Confidence is high.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #35
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Should be about 200 or so I'm thinking, I really have no idea what conditions the roads up there are in.

That frame still dinged or did you fix that as well 8gv?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
tdvt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Devo, I'm hoping you got my reply to your PM.

Are you staging out of Sutton (Canuman's) the first day or starting at the Puppy Dog start/end in N Troy (as per your map, first post)?
tdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #37
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdvt View Post
Devo, I'm hoping you got my reply to your PM.

Are you staging out of Sutton (Canuman's) the first day or starting at the Puppy Dog start/end in N Troy (as per your map, first post)?

yes, sorry for not responding!

The plan is to come up Friday to Sutton and perhaps do a little riding if there is enough time, then leave Saturday. 8gv (and I forgot where he lives) may not be able to leave until Sunday, in which case we'll need to figure something out.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #38
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

The dented frame cannot be seen as it is now obscured by the new bash plate. That is the extent to which it will be addressed.

I live in northern CT. I plan to trailer my bike north to join up on Sat. But have no clue where I can stash my car and trailer for the week.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #39
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The dented frame cannot be seen as it is now obscured by the new bash plate. That is the extent to which it will be addressed.

I live in northern CT. I plan to trailer my bike north to join up on Sat. But have no clue where I can stash my car and trailer for the week.
You're welcome to park it at my place if you don't get a better offer. I'm in southern VT, still about 3-5 hours from Sutton depending on the ride. . . Three hours if you slab it. 4 hours on state highways, and more of you take less maintained routes.

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:22 AM   #40
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
You're welcome to park it at my place if you don't get a better offer. I'm in southern VT, still about 3-5 hours from Sutton depending on the ride. . . Three hours if you slab it. 4 hours on state highways, and more of you take less maintained routes.
Thanks for the offer. Based on my recent TET ride, I'd like to get the trailer as close to the ride as possible in the event that the bike comes back in pieces.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #41
devo2002 OP
-Devo

To simplify planning I'm taking it out of pm and into this thread, I'm really bad at playing telephone between you ff's

Canuman's Goods:

I'm not linking his first track since it just gets you to his town and since we are leaving from there I'll start with this.

Below is our day 1 with a few edits I'm yet to combine into a single gpx. We are going to scoop below Pittsburg as we may be hassled.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...0&d=1330816511

Here is the alternate route for a portion of day one. If you load both up you can see where we deviate from the original.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...6&d=1330956020

Canu did make a full alternate day 1 that combines the go around but it doesn't open for me, I'll try some more converting otherwise it will be a Topo 9 etude of sorts. He mentioned a computer wipe out so this is what we got to work with. I'm in favor of verifying and as the route can handle big ds bikes we can make side tracks or hero sections for the bigguns

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...7&d=1330970163

And here is a clean day 2 for us.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...2&d=1330859917

For reference here is his thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769424

From doing some google searches it seems that while remote, it's not too far away from fuel. I put on an acerbis 4 gal. so I can get a 200 mile range. My estimations show the standard 100-120 miel tank will probably suffice, but if you already have a fuel bottle for an emergency it may come in handy. I'll be topping off so if we bring a hose we can steal some of mine.

Accommodations

I've been asked about what we are doing at the end of the night.....and in normal fashion I'm not sure.

Our options are cheap hotels, campground camping, or cowboy camping as 8gv puts it. I'll let the cards fall where they may amongst who is going but I'm in favor of camping "on the lam" if we can, with the possibility of a cheap hotel stuck in the middle there on say Tuesday night.

I haven't done too much camping in my life but what I have done has only been state campgrounds or private ones, which usually consist of 50 rv spots and some small rinky dink sites for cagers in the back. I'll admit while nice to have an outhouse and running water, I feel the sense of adventure is greatly diminished, especially when you pay $25+ (and I'd guess they would charge more like $40 for 3 of us) these days for sleeping on the ground. Even state parks are high $20's.

8gv brought up a good point which is fires while cowboy camping. My ideal is just that, some kind of meat in a bun around a fire with some whiskey I'll do some research, or perhaps a FF can chip in with legality of fires not on a campground in Maine. Being a suburbanite who doesn't know much about rural life I could be completely wrong, but I'm guessing if we aren't on high ground and find a cruddy road that goes in a few miles there should be no issue. What say you?

Rubline mentioned moose hunting so I will be picking up a vest and throwing it in my bag.

Food

I will be bringing this little guy. He is fueled with some kind of chemically white substance in tiny brick form. It can boil 2 cups in a few minutes. The burner fits inside the cup with the fuel tablets so it's pretty darns small. This and a knife spork will be my gear, although I may splurge for one of those collapsable rubber cups for whiskey/cokes

8gv mentioned he is bringing a 16oz jetboil.

The above along with some instant coffee, mountain house dehyrdated meals, and Clif's energy bars/gels/shots will be all I'm bringing food wise. I'll bring a small spice kit for when we spot a local grocer and figure we can throw some beans/meat into our packs for the campfire? I'm figuring we will also be dining at the local greasy spoons for when we are just too tired to deal with it ourselves. In my experience eating greasy food while on the road tastes amazing but also makes for unpleasant bathroom trips
What say you?

Gear

Let's also start to discuss potential overlaps in gear and what we can pair down, i.e. do we really need 6+ tire irons and 3 tire inflators for 3 of us? I'm sure 8gv would love to pair down his setup
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #42
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

I have decided to pair down my gear as follows:

Remove moose antlers (rack?) from handlebars.

That is all.

I do have a spare two man tent I can bring if someone needs it. I don't want to tote it on my bike though.

Im ok with all the other poundage I took on my last ride as it will give me excuses for my bad form and crashing. Besides, they're not allowed to shoot a pregnant moose right?

8gv screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 03:49 PM
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #43
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 423
I like to camp and no hotels. I like to smell so bears will avoid me. I like to fall a sleep with a wiskey in my hand and feed mosquitos all night! I dont like hotels period, they still my bottles there! I will try to post pics of my bike set up and my gear if I have time tonight! In couple of days my Garmin montana coming so I will play with it but I am totally new to it, so it will take year until I can go by my self! Also waiting for 4 gal gas tank.
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #44
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 423
Wicked Pics of my baby!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1136021...18732276/TW200
This is what I will be using plus 4gal tank and Pelican cases on the sides.
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #45
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
https://picasaweb.google.com/1136021...18732276/TW200
This is what I will be using plus 4gal tank and Pelican cases on the sides.
Nice TW! I'll let you borrow my moose antlers...I need a decoy.