Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,566
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #228
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I just wish I could find a more comfoertable seat. It is to stiff even for daily commuting,IMHO.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #229
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
New Ikons on the bike, but the ride is still quite stiff. Maybe that's the nature of the beast and its limited suspension travel, but my old spine can't handle the ride. I'm looking for some experts to help me out with the suspension.
Could it be that the ergo's aren't working for you? I find that the V7C puts a of pressure on the lower spine. I can deal with it, but for someone who can't, maybe lower bars that straighten the back and shift some weight forward would help.

For me, the Ikons solved the biggest problem I was having with the V7, which is that sharp bumps were too jarring. The Ikons, as I have them set, are softer than stock. I wouldn't call them stiff.

There's only so much you can do to improve the chassis of the V7C. It's best to enjoy it for what it is.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #230
Penderic
Format C:/u

Oddometer: 75
I have the Cafe seat and the Classic seat. The Cafe seat is a bit thicker and softer but gets uncomfortable after a full day in the saddle.

The harder Classic seat is ok for a couple days more and is the one I leave on the bike.

Nice little bike, but appeals to a different type of rider class.

Penderic screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 03:40 PM
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #231
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,428
Stunning bike Obie! Now that you've got it the way you want it, I'm sure you'll be selling it soon
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #232
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Stunning bike Obie! Now that you've got it the way you want it, I'm sure you'll be selling it soon
that made me laugh, Joe, don't think that it hasn't already crossed my mind!.....the front end needs work if i expect to ride it in a spirited way, if not, it will suffice for lazy Sunday rides.....riding my Aprilia yesterday reminded me what a real sport bike feels like....WOW that bike.

be well,
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #233
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
What about the other questions I posed? Sag, front springs, etc...how do you weigh (a range is fine) and which Ikon shocks did you buy? Trying to be of help, these suspensions aren't very elaborate.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrider300 View Post
Could it be that the ergo's aren't working for you? I find that the V7C puts a of pressure on the lower spine. I can deal with it, but for someone who can't, maybe lower bars that straighten the back and shift some weight forward would help.

For me, the Ikons solved the biggest problem I was having with the V7, which is that sharp bumps were too jarring. The Ikons, as I have them set, are softer than stock. I wouldn't call them stiff.

There's only so much you can do to improve the chassis of the V7C. It's best to enjoy it for what it is.

I weigh @180. I haven't adjusted the sag or dealt with the forks yet. I forget which Ikon shocks I got, but they're the ones specified for my bike.

Re: the ergos, you could be right. I rode over 700 miles on a trip last week on my DR and had no problems.

I have rotated the bars forward and back, and used an AirHawk pad to elevate my seat a bit. Maybe I am trying to make the bike into something it's not. Maybe the roads around here are just to bad for such a bike and an old man with a bad back
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #234
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
I weigh @180. I haven't adjusted the sag or dealt with the forks yet. I forget which Ikon shocks I got, but they're the ones specified for my bike.
measuring/setting the sag could at least help, it would most definitely not hurt. the reason i asked about which Ikon shocks was in looking to see if they even offered any kind of damping adjustment, and if so, to make subtle adjustments in hopes of achieving the ride you're looking for.

you nailed it....the bike (from stock) can most definitely be improved upon, but trying to turn it into something it's not will be a challenging endeavor.

take care,
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #235
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
measuring/setting the sag could at least help, it would most definitely not hurt. the reason i asked about which Ikon shocks was in looking to see if they even offered any kind of damping adjustment, and if so, to make subtle adjustments in hopes of achieving the ride you're looking for.

you nailed it....the bike (from stock) can most definitely be improved upon, but trying to turn it into something it's not will be a challenging endeavor.

take care,
The shocks do have a four-position damping adjuster. I tried all four along with several preload settings.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #236
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
The shocks do have a four-position damping adjuster. I tried all four along with several preload settings.

Thanks

just read the description on MG Cycle.....the preload adjustment (three setting style) and rebound adjustment (four position) would not suggest that they're performance/comfort oriented. not sure how to say that any nicer way. personally, the stock shocks (Sachs) with their ring style preload adjustment offer a more precise method of adjusting preload/sag. unfortunately i can't comment as to the rebound settings as I don't own the Ikons, but the type of adjustment (four options) they offer doesn't seem like it offers all that much. my point is that you might be trading one set of shocks for another that aren't all that much different (give/take) at the end of the day.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #237
Mr. B
Contrarian

I cut my losses...

...and moved up to the Stelvio. For those following this thread, it kind of broke my heart to let go of the V7 because it was such a ball to ride. It all came down to whether I wanted to risk having more nerve damage riding the little V7. I didn't lose my shirt trading up because the bike was practically new and they knew it would sell quickly.

The Stelvio is DEFINITELY a different type of bike. It has a lot more power and, and it's a lot easier on my old bones. But power isn't everything and the V7 motor is more fun than the 1200 in the Stelvio.

It's been fun:, but now I have to hang out in the Stelvio thread.

Mr. B screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 08:10 PM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #238
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Nice trade, Mr. B, I love those Stelvios. Good for you!

Enjoy,
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #239
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtOKC View Post
I just wish I could find a more comfoertable seat. It is to stiff even for daily commuting,IMHO.
Try Spencer's or Sargent and have your seat modified.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #240
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
...and moved up to the Stelvio. For those following this thread, it kind of broke my heart to let go of the V7 because it was such a ball to ride. It all came down to whether I wanted to risk having more nerve damage riding the little V7. I didn't lose my shirt trading up because the bike was practically new and they knew it would sell quickly.

The Stelvio is DEFINITELY a different type of bike. It has a lot more power and, and it's a lot easier on my old bones. But power isn't everything and the V7 motor is more fun than the 1200 in the Stelvio.

It's been fun:, but now I have to hang out in the Stelvio thread.
Well, now that you're riding on modern suspension, with lots of leg room, you should be good to go for 800 miles days. I agree that the enjoyment factor on the small block engine isn't quite there on the 1200 8V's. What you get instead is performance and an engine that is still very enjoyable, just not quite the same as the small block.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote