ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #226
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,430
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #227
Bloodweiser
honestly
 
Bloodweiser's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: way over yonder in the minor key
Oddometer: 2,566
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #228
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma
Oddometer: 187
I just wish I could find a more comfoertable seat. It is to stiff even for daily commuting,IMHO.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #229
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
New Ikons on the bike, but the ride is still quite stiff. Maybe that's the nature of the beast and its limited suspension travel, but my old spine can't handle the ride. I'm looking for some experts to help me out with the suspension.
Could it be that the ergo's aren't working for you? I find that the V7C puts a of pressure on the lower spine. I can deal with it, but for someone who can't, maybe lower bars that straighten the back and shift some weight forward would help.

For me, the Ikons solved the biggest problem I was having with the V7, which is that sharp bumps were too jarring. The Ikons, as I have them set, are softer than stock. I wouldn't call them stiff.

There's only so much you can do to improve the chassis of the V7C. It's best to enjoy it for what it is.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #230
Penderic
Format C:/u
 
Penderic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: South Gulf Islands B.C.
Oddometer: 75
I have the Cafe seat and the Classic seat. The Cafe seat is a bit thicker and softer but gets uncomfortable after a full day in the saddle.

The harder Classic seat is ok for a couple days more and is the one I leave on the bike.

Nice little bike, but appeals to a different type of rider class.

Penderic screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 03:40 PM
Penderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #231
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,428
Stunning bike Obie! Now that you've got it the way you want it, I'm sure you'll be selling it soon
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #232
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Stunning bike Obie! Now that you've got it the way you want it, I'm sure you'll be selling it soon
that made me laugh, Joe, don't think that it hasn't already crossed my mind!.....the front end needs work if i expect to ride it in a spirited way, if not, it will suffice for lazy Sunday rides.....riding my Aprilia yesterday reminded me what a real sport bike feels like....WOW that bike.

be well,
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #233
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
What about the other questions I posed? Sag, front springs, etc...how do you weigh (a range is fine) and which Ikon shocks did you buy? Trying to be of help, these suspensions aren't very elaborate.

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrider300 View Post
Could it be that the ergo's aren't working for you? I find that the V7C puts a of pressure on the lower spine. I can deal with it, but for someone who can't, maybe lower bars that straighten the back and shift some weight forward would help.

For me, the Ikons solved the biggest problem I was having with the V7, which is that sharp bumps were too jarring. The Ikons, as I have them set, are softer than stock. I wouldn't call them stiff.

There's only so much you can do to improve the chassis of the V7C. It's best to enjoy it for what it is.

I weigh @180. I haven't adjusted the sag or dealt with the forks yet. I forget which Ikon shocks I got, but they're the ones specified for my bike.

Re: the ergos, you could be right. I rode over 700 miles on a trip last week on my DR and had no problems.

I have rotated the bars forward and back, and used an AirHawk pad to elevate my seat a bit. Maybe I am trying to make the bike into something it's not. Maybe the roads around here are just to bad for such a bike and an old man with a bad back
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #234
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I weigh @180. I haven't adjusted the sag or dealt with the forks yet. I forget which Ikon shocks I got, but they're the ones specified for my bike.
measuring/setting the sag could at least help, it would most definitely not hurt. the reason i asked about which Ikon shocks was in looking to see if they even offered any kind of damping adjustment, and if so, to make subtle adjustments in hopes of achieving the ride you're looking for.

you nailed it....the bike (from stock) can most definitely be improved upon, but trying to turn it into something it's not will be a challenging endeavor.

take care,
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #235
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
measuring/setting the sag could at least help, it would most definitely not hurt. the reason i asked about which Ikon shocks was in looking to see if they even offered any kind of damping adjustment, and if so, to make subtle adjustments in hopes of achieving the ride you're looking for.

you nailed it....the bike (from stock) can most definitely be improved upon, but trying to turn it into something it's not will be a challenging endeavor.

take care,
The shocks do have a four-position damping adjuster. I tried all four along with several preload settings.

Thanks
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #236
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
The shocks do have a four-position damping adjuster. I tried all four along with several preload settings.

Thanks

just read the description on MG Cycle.....the preload adjustment (three setting style) and rebound adjustment (four position) would not suggest that they're performance/comfort oriented. not sure how to say that any nicer way. personally, the stock shocks (Sachs) with their ring style preload adjustment offer a more precise method of adjusting preload/sag. unfortunately i can't comment as to the rebound settings as I don't own the Ikons, but the type of adjustment (four options) they offer doesn't seem like it offers all that much. my point is that you might be trading one set of shocks for another that aren't all that much different (give/take) at the end of the day.
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #237
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,799
I cut my losses...

...and moved up to the Stelvio. For those following this thread, it kind of broke my heart to let go of the V7 because it was such a ball to ride. It all came down to whether I wanted to risk having more nerve damage riding the little V7. I didn't lose my shirt trading up because the bike was practically new and they knew it would sell quickly.

The Stelvio is DEFINITELY a different type of bike. It has a lot more power and, and it's a lot easier on my old bones. But power isn't everything and the V7 motor is more fun than the 1200 in the Stelvio.


It's been fun:, but now I have to hang out in the Stelvio thread.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Mr. B screwed with this post 09-09-2012 at 08:10 PM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #238
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,367
Nice trade, Mr. B, I love those Stelvios. Good for you!

Enjoy,
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #239
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro
 
Pokeyjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtOKC View Post
I just wish I could find a more comfoertable seat. It is to stiff even for daily commuting,IMHO.
Try Spencer's or Sargent and have your seat modified.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #240
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
...and moved up to the Stelvio. For those following this thread, it kind of broke my heart to let go of the V7 because it was such a ball to ride. It all came down to whether I wanted to risk having more nerve damage riding the little V7. I didn't lose my shirt trading up because the bike was practically new and they knew it would sell quickly.

The Stelvio is DEFINITELY a different type of bike. It has a lot more power and, and it's a lot easier on my old bones. But power isn't everything and the V7 motor is more fun than the 1200 in the Stelvio.


It's been fun:, but now I have to hang out in the Stelvio thread.
Well, now that you're riding on modern suspension, with lots of leg room, you should be good to go for 800 miles days. I agree that the enjoyment factor on the small block engine isn't quite there on the 1200 8V's. What you get instead is performance and an engine that is still very enjoyable, just not quite the same as the small block.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014