Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #76
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
I have always done my own wrenching, from 5 years old with my older brother on my TACO mini bike to years of MX racing, to class5 off road, to all my cages, etc. I live by the saying "if you want it done right". I get a giggle every time I head to the stealership "hoping" they have the part I need in stock and talk to the techs and parts people. I know it is not their fault that they are ignorant and I am a little more knowledgeable and a lot more anal than the average bear, but the ridiculous statements that I hear that they try to pass off as fact just kill me. The pity is some poor soul is gonna take that worthless information to heart and believe it because it came from the dealer..... LET THE BUYER BEWARE !!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #77
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
I once talked to a dealer mechanic and asked him why I couldn't just put my KLR valve shims on a surface grinder to bring them in to spec. He told me that they always take thicker shims when they go out of spec.

I never went back to that shop. I suspect that he has never really adjusted any valves as a part of routine maintenance.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #78
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I have always done my own wrenching, from 5 years old with my older brother on my TACO mini bike to years of MX racing, to class5 off road, to all my cages, etc. I live by the saying "if you want it done right". I get a giggle every time I head to the stealership "hoping" they have the part I need in stock and talk to the techs and parts people. I know it is not their fault that they are ignorant and I am a little more knowledgeable and a lot more anal than the average bear, but the ridiculous statements that I hear that they try to pass off as fact just kill me. The pity is some poor soul is gonna take that worthless information to heart and believe it because it came from the dealer..... LET THE BUYER BEWARE !!!!:
I think you mean retentive.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #79
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I think you mean retentive.
or maybe he's a bear who just likes anal more than most bears...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #80
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
or maybe he's a bear who just likes anal more than most bears...
Could be.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #81
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,122
I have an independent dealer 4 miles from my house. I got a good deal on a tire online and took it to him with my wheel and old tire. He said sure I will do it for 12 bucks, but next time let me see if I can compete on the price for that tire. He then pulled his book out and quoted me a price that was about 15 bucks higher than what I paid. Needless to say, I felt like a dick and will always order my tires through him and have him put them on for me. I have to draw the internet nickel and dime nitpicking somewhere.

There are different ways for dealers to handle customers. This is an example of a right way and now he has me as a customer.

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #82
slide
A nation in despair

I did similar. I went to a nearby indie and asked if it'd be cheaper for me to buy a tire online and hire him to mount it or buy from him in a combo deal. He said he'd always beat the discounters in price / mount, but he'd charge his standard $12 to mount / balance (wheel off) if I bought elsewhere.

I now buy all my tires from him. For all I know, I ended up spending an added $.20 sometime along the line but the local guy gets the job, the job is always done well and I can afford risking the $.20.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #83
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
A dealer once told me they dont mount tires purchased elsewhere because if it is damaged or defective they will end up responsible for a tire of possibly questionable origin. Seems reasonable considering what some on line sellers do.

Some folks have said they have walked out of a dealer never to return based on the words or actions of one employee , IMO, it would be more productive to talk to the manager/owner before throwing them under the bus. Also some dealers prefer to have their sales staff wait for customers to approach them so as to not give the impression of being high pressure.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #84
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Also some dealers prefer to have their sales staff wait for customers to approach them so as to not give the impression of being high pressure.
I think you're right on this. If nobody's approaching you then ask a salesperson for help. I'd rather work with a non-pushy type salesperson myself.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #85
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
A dealer once told me they dont mount tires purchased elsewhere because if it is damaged or defective they will end up responsible for a tire of possibly questionable origin. Seems reasonable considering what some on line sellers do.

Some folks have said they have walked out of a dealer never to return based on the words or actions of one employee , IMO, it would be more productive to talk to the manager/owner before throwing them under the bus. Also some dealers prefer to have their sales staff wait for customers to approach them so as to not give the impression of being high pressure.
how about a "hey can I help you with anything?"

if they say no

"if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask"
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #86
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Eh? Whaaaa...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
They don't stock anything any more, so why should I bother making TWO trips there to get a part when I can get it delivered to my doorstep from Babbit's faster and for less cost? Then there was the time they couldn't get me a Honda valve adjustment tool, even though I gave them the part number. The dealer across town got it for me. At least they didn't tell me they don't want my business.
Babbitts! Had I only known of such admirable and wondrous pricing prior to dumping a wad at the stealership for OEM parts! Thanks to you I don't ever have to visit that den of greed again! You, sir, deserve a pint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdub View Post
how about a "hey can I help you with anything?"

if they say no

"if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask"

This is proper customer service. The idea that high-pressure sales generates more revenue is a figment of managerial imagination. First rule of sales: don't badger, annoy, or piss-off the customer.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #87
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I think you're right on this. If nobody's approaching you then ask a salesperson for help. I'd rather work with a non-pushy type salesperson myself.

So would I, but I still think a salesperson should at least greet you when you are looking at bikes on the sales floor.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #88
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkevin View Post
Wife gives me the ok to go out and purchase another bike. I run down to my local dealer a roll one out of the line up. I had been doing my research for months, wanted to check a couple key things. Spent about 15 mins. looking it over, then roll it up to the salesmans desk. He finally greets me and asks what he can do. I tell him I'm ready to purchase a bike. He then tells me to let him know when I am serious. Ummmm!!
I roll bike back down to where I got it, put it back and left. I guess the other 2 bikes I bought there in the past 12 months didn't qualify me as a serious buyer. "Let me know when your serious" Come on dude!! Your here to encourage sales. Now you just lost one. I held off buying a bike, thought something was just not meant to be. I returned to that dealer about 6 months later, all new emplyees. No wonder.
I did finally get my bike!!! Silly wife was then pissed cause I showed up with it without asking again!! I got permission once, figured that was good for a long time. She saw it different.
I think the salesman recognized the signs of petticoat rule and figured you wouldn't be "serious" until your wife was behind you nodding her agreement.

Sorry dude - Couldn't resist!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #89
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
I get that a MC dealer's cost on tires is a bit higher because thay have to hold a stock - and some will not be fast moving. Still, one of my local dealers got to know me and offered me a "deal" on a set of Tourances for my GS. They were going to order the tires for me so I eagerly waited while the parts guy figured the cost, including my big disount. It was going to work out somewhere upwards of $400, mounted. At that time, I could buy a pair of tires on the internet for $200 and get them mounted at an independent shop for $30. Needless to say, I turned down the offer. I liked the shop and would have been happy to let them make $50 off me - but $200+ - No F'ing Way!

I remember back in the late 80's driving my rusty old Triumph (car) to an Audi delaership looking at a late model Quattro turbo. The salesmen wouldn't even talk to me and weren't interested even when I said what I was looking for. Went back a few weeks later in the sports car I bought instead of the Audi. When they saw me pull up and look over a quattro, they were falling over themselves trying to get to me first. I got a test ride in the Sales Manager's personal demo. I and thrashed the hell out of that car for about thirty miles: Jumps, four wheel drifts and bouncing off the rev limiter, etc. When we pulled up back at the dealership, I told them that I didn't want it and why. The salesman who had been white-knuckled, digging his nails into the dash for the last twenty minutes or so was quite pragmatic, and said "Well I guess we asked for that one, didn't we!"
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #90
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Some folks have said they have walked out of a dealer never to return based on the words or actions of one employee , IMO, it would be more productive to talk to the manager/owner before throwing them under the bus.
I worked in the (auto) parts business for over 15 years. I think I have a realistic tolerance level for counter employees when I visit an establishment, because I have truly "spent a day in their shoes". When I bought my KLR, one of the first things I did was visit the local dealer to get a second key for it. This particular dealer also sells BMWs, so you'd think they would be a bit better in the customer service aspect.

Oh no.

I had the gall to interrupt a conversation between the two parts geeks, the one who waited on me obviously dealing with the aftermath of a late night out. The blank key of course had to be ordered (not surprised) but appeared to be such a tremendous annoyance to the parts guy I doubted I'd ever want to come back. The guy was so rude I'd have fired him on the spot had he worked for me. But I order my key and come back a week later (they did actually call to tell me it came in) and gave them a second chance, figuring one hungover employee may not be the way to draw a conclusion. Nope, no better the second time. The key in it's bag was all but thrown at me onto the counter by an equally rude asshole who apparently believed anything less than a sport bike wasn't worth his time (this based on conversation I'd overheard during my waiting for them to notice me). While being rung up, I listened with some amusement as a guy next to me struggled to get them to supply a taillight bulb for his BMW...a bulb he could have bought at any auto parts store for a couple bucks, but he wound up paying over $5 for while getting equally indifferent service by people who could hardly remove their butts from their stools.

Do I bother to tell the dealer management? No, because subsequently I find out this is SOP for the place and has been such for a long time. The owner of the place sits at his desk mere feet away and has to know what is going on. I cheerfully drive 20 minutes in the opposite direction to be treated with a smile by another dealer's parts staff.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote