ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Please vote your situation & mileage AT FAILURE or multiple failures
NO failure - current mileage 0 - 20K miles 169 47.08%
NO failure - current mileage 20K - 40K miles 84 23.40%
NO failure - current mileage 40K - 60K miles 20 5.57%
NO failure - current mileage 60K+ miles 0 0%
YES - one failure at: 0 - 20K miles 11 3.06%
YES - one failure at: 20K - 40K miles 44 12.26%
YES one failure at: 40K - 60K miles 18 5.01%
YES one failure at: 60K+ miles 5 1.39%
MULTIPLE FAILURES 8 2.23%
Voters: 359. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #46
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 514
Chart update please. Move my earlier input from no problem less than 20K miles to no problem less than 40k miles

I would like to get more specs info on the new replacement. I'm thinking of doing a preemptive replacement this winter with either a new stock stator or the one that should be coming mentioned in an earlier post.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #47
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
VTBob:

I do not have detail specs. on the Electrosport, but you can send an e-mail to: info (at) electrosport.com
They are not yet available on the website, but should be there pretty soon the production order of parts is in mfg. now ...

The price was indicated to me to be less than $150 ... vs. ~$800 for the BMW kit of flywheel+stator.

(For the record I have no affiliation with Electrosport)

JRWooden screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 06:22 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #48
NotAllWhoWanderRLost
Lost

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I really hated to vote in fear that I may jinx myself

2010 F800GS 9500 miles with no problems.
NotAllWhoWanderRLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #49
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,131
Dang I have a Rick's motorsport Stator on the way. I would have bought this one as it sounds like they actually put some serious thought and work into it to get it to survive higher temps. I don't know how Rick's built designed or tested theirs. I may have to look at picking up an electrosport one anyway

Mine failed at 34,900 miles and left me stranded on I-30 just west of Fort Worth. Buddy came with jumper cables and we charged it on the side of the road with his car for about 15 minutes. I unhooked the headlight and blasted to the house. Pulled into the garage right as it died.

jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #50
GoDag
Explorer

Oddometer: 11
My stator went out at 17,700 miles two days into a 10 day trip. Had to get the bike trailered 90 miles to the nearest descent sized town (thanks to AAA). Overnighted a Rick’s Motorsport stator to the hotel and installed it in the parking lot.

Thanks to you all here at Adventure Rider I was able to diagnose and fix the problem and continue on my way. Love this community/forum!
GoDag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #51
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,890
Not sure if my bike quit today because of the stator but it sure sounds suspiciously like that. I noticed the 'Trip 1' switching itself to the odometer as I started the bike at various times today, then it was reluctant to start, then while moving I noticed the top warning indicator come on, then the digital display went away, then it died.

Email sent to electrosport.com

And here I thought it died just to spite me.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #52
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDag View Post
My stator went out at 17,700 miles two days into a 10 day trip. Had to get the bike trailered 90 miles to the nearest descent sized town (thanks to AAA). Overnighted a Rick’s Motorsport stator to the hotel and installed it in the parking lot.

Thanks to you all here at Adventure Rider I was able to diagnose and fix the problem and continue on my way. Love this community/forum!
Any special tools needed to change just the stator? How long did it take to change?
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #53
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,131
They're pretty easy to change. A 10mm socket and something to turn it with, the underseat torx drive to remove the body work, and some snips to cut the zip ties with. It's defiantly an easy parking lot job if you have to do it, but having a garage and some beer handy sure is nice

I had mine replaced in about an hour or two all said and done. You do have to solder some wires together on the Rick's unit though it doesn't come with the connector so you have to cut your old connector off and go from there. The instructions say NOT to use crimp connectors. Not sure why guess the possibility of them coming loose that way.

The longest part of the job to me was soldering the connector cause I suck at soldering. Probably should have just said screw it and used good 3M connectors instead but oh well.

We'll see how long the Rick's unit lasts. Hopefully as long as my stock unit.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #54
GoDag
Explorer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
They're pretty easy to change. A 10mm socket and something to turn it with, the underseat torx drive to remove the body work, and some snips to cut the zip ties with. It's defiantly an easy parking lot job if you have to do it, but having a garage and some beer handy sure is nice

I had mine replaced in about an hour or two all said and done. You do have to solder some wires together on the Rick's unit though it doesn't come with the connector so you have to cut your old connector off and go from there. The instructions say NOT to use crimp connectors. Not sure why guess the possibility of them coming loose that way.

The longest part of the job to me was soldering the connector cause I suck at soldering. Probably should have just said screw it and used good 3M connectors instead but oh well.

We'll see how long the Rick's unit lasts. Hopefully as long as my stock unit.
Yep, what jeepinbanditrider said. I didnt have any soldering equipment or new gasket so I just twisted and taped the wires and used the original gasket to get me through the trip. Now I'm going to have to go back in to do it right but at least I have some beer this time. The parking lot job took me about three hours but I was going slow to make sure I wasnt going to have any more problems on my trip.
GoDag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #55
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not sure if my bike quit today because of the stator but it sure sounds suspiciously like that. I noticed the 'Trip 1' switching itself to the odometer as I started the bike at various times today, then it was reluctant to start, then while moving I noticed the top warning indicator come on, then the digital display went away, then it died.
Finally got around to checking the F8 charging problem and the stator is toast, confirmed by my mechanic who's BMW factory trained. Oh well, that is the first thing we've ever had go wrong on the F650/800 bikes aside from expendables like steering head bearings, etc.

Sure glad I still have a Suzuki DR to ride.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #56
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204

Well, my stator bit the dust this past weekend at 45,509 miles. First sign was the ABS light flickering on and off while I was still about 100 miles from home, followed shortly thereafter by the loss of speedometer, tachometer, and the OBC display. I managed to make it to within a mile of my house, but when I pulled in the clutch at a stop light, the engine died and there was no way to restart it.

Got a Rick's stator on order. There's no way I'm paying US$900 for the BMW kit.

I can't change my vote now, but I'm now in the 40-60K failure camp.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #57
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post

Well, my stator bit the dust this past weekend at 45,509 miles. First sign was the ABS light flickering on and off while I was still about 100 miles from home, followed shortly thereafter by the loss of speedometer, tachometer, and the OBC display. I managed to make it to within a mile of my house, but when I pulled in the clutch at a stop light, the engine died and there was no way to restart it.

Got a Rick's stator on order. There's no way I'm paying US$900 for the BMW kit.

I can't change my vote now, but I'm now in the 40-60K failure camp.
I'll see if I can figure out how to change your vote!
While you're waiting for the new stator, if you haven't done it already,
be sure to put your battery on the charger - AGM batteries hate to be left discharged!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #58
JRWooden OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, I can't figure out how to change a vote in the poll - mine or anybody else's for that matter....
If someone knows how this is done please PM me?

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #59
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Heres how I interpret this poll (as of 8/31/12)

A total of 116 respondents report under 20k miles. 6 have had failure for a rate of 5%

A total of 70 report having reached 20-40k miles. 22 have had failure for a rate of 31%

A total of 19 report having reached 40-60k miles. 9 have had failure for a rate of 47%

2 have gone over 60k miles, both failed. 100%

Would be interesting to build a chart using exact mileage. Looks to me if you get to 40k, your days are numbered.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #60
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

It would be interesting to see if most of the failures happen to the 800 or if it's 50/50 800 and 650s.