User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #241
K@in
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm waiting for the price...
What's the cost for this bike ? 13000 / 15000 $/US ?
K@in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #242
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by K@in View Post
I'm waiting for the price...
What's the cost for this bike ? 13000 / 15000 $/US ?
I'd be surprised to see it come in much cheaper than 15000 Euro. The list price on the current 990 is 13795 in Germany. I can't see KTM bringing in all those electronic goodies to the consumer for less than that.

The trend in the market along with bigger, is more expensive. Welcome to the Harley-ization of the dual sport / adventure bike segment.

The fact that you can drop nearly 20k Euro on an R1200GS or over 20k on a Ducati multistrada, making the KTM look like a bargain in comparison, is small consolation when that 15k is around 4k too much for most people which when the Euro Crash really kicks into gear, will be the case more and more often.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #243
Wallaby_Ted
You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer: 116
That muffler sucks, i love the fact the 990 / 950 can fall over on any side and all is does is at most scratch up a crash bar / luggage rack. Now it'll be smashing up what i would assume is an expensive exhaust...

What do you think the chances are that this is the SM-T and that we haven't seen the Adventure yet??? One can only hope!

www.checkingtheboundaryfence.com - The upside, down-under tour of Australia. August to September 2009

Wallaby_Ted screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 04:23 AM
Wallaby_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #244
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
October... The guys at Team Moto told me they will let me know the price first or second week of October.

Hopefully the bike will be available this year!
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #245
tommytiger
Triple-Trips and V2-Tours

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby_Ted View Post
That muffler sucks, i love the fact the 990 / 950 can fall over on any side and all is does is at most scratch up a crash bar / luggage rack. Now it'll be smashing up what i would assume is an expensive exhaust...

What do you think the chances are that this is the SM-T and that we haven't seen the Adventure yet??? One can only hope!
the bike given to the german magazine was called Adventure 1190 R

the SM-T will be nearly the same with smaller wheels i think

- 2005 KTM Adventure 950 S
- 2011 KTM Adventure 990 R
tommytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #246
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I don't understand all the complains about exhaust location. Many current 950/990 owners have spent $$$$ for custom rallye-style low exhaust and now when KTM has installed one from factory everybody complain about it
Low exhaust positive features for me:
- less heat under the seat
- more room for luggage/rear tanks etc
Btw, that exhaust location probably gave KTM necessary room to put 24 liter fuel tank on!
Buying a custom bashplate (BDCW etc) is common option for current models, designing proper protection for new model can't be so much different.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #247
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
Be interesting to see what gets put out as the final product.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #248
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
Btw, that exhaust location probably gave KTM necessary room to put 24 liter fuel tank on!
Are we actually excited over a 6 gallon tank? That's the bare minimum in my opinion. This could be a great bike for the adventure TOURING crowd. Now where is my 690 ADV...
I might need to buy it back from H2W.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #249
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by FechFech View Post
Tech Specs of the 1190 Adventure R are:

- 150 HP at 10'000 RPM
- 230 kg with a full tank of 24 liters
- 21 inch front wheel, 18 inch rear wheel
That weight isn't bad. I thought I saw someone earlier complaining about it. The 2012 990 is 209.5kg semi-dry I believe. 24 liters weighs ~18 kilos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet View Post
Are we actually excited over a 6 gallon tank? That's the bare minimum in my opinion.
I guess it depends on whether the fuel-economy is as crappola as the 950/990. At 45mpg 6 gallons looks just fine.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #250
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

I guess it depends on whether the fuel-economy is as crappola as the 950/990. At 45mpg 6 gallons looks just fine.
Yes it looks fine @ 45mpg, who's KTM gets that? (Bring on the three guys who will claim their bikes do, it's not the rule it's the exception.) I couldn't find much on the RC8 consumption numbers but I did see 35mpg at constant throttle. If it's detuned it should get slightly better mileage. I would think 42-43mpg at constant throttle. Ride it hard and it will probably drop to normal KTM 36-38 I think I can get my SE down in the high 20's if I try.

Since its fuel injected the 24 liters is probably not usable capacity with pump and filters. I think it will be a nice bike and a good alternative for folks looking for a Multistrada with more dirt capability. Maybe I'll buy one once the bugs are squashed, it only took me 7 years to try the 950.....

It would make a nice two-up tourer with the misses. Combined we weigh in at 270lbs, I bet 150hp would move us around nicely.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #251
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Yes it looks fine @ 45mpg, who's KTM gets that?
I think you missed the irony. As someone who's got <20mpg on their 950 and never more than 40. I hear ya. I keep hoping KTM will somehow improve things. I know I know, if you can afford $15k for a bike you can afford to get shitty gas mileage, I've heard it all before .... we'll see if these people feel the same when gas is $6 gallon as it surely will be soon. I guess we're lucky the taxes are low so it's not $8/gallon like it is in the rest of the world.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #252
DaBit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Close to $9 per gallon here in The Netherlands. :(

It won't stop me from riding the 950. After all, when you calculate all the money you throw in the bike and bike related stuff, a price difference between $5 or $9 a gallon isn't an ultra spectacular difference in yearly operating cost. The same story with 30mpg vs 45mpg. The extra fuel cost almost drowns in the money spent on bike writeoff, insurance, maintenance, repair, tyres, clothing, food and drinks on a ride, farkles, etcetera.

Besides that, fuel mileage of the 950 is still better than that of most cars that are not boring to the bone.

My problem with the fuel thirst of the 950 is range. I can do 250-300km on a tankfull of fuel (onroad). When riding on the backroads on a sunday, this means that after only 180km or so I can start looking for a gas station. I hate that.
DaBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #253
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Are we actually excited over a 6 gallon tank? That's the bare minimum in my opinion. This could be a great bike for the adventure TOURING crowd. Now where is my 690 ADV...
I might need to buy it back from H2W.
That's still one of the biggest fuel tanks offered for current big adventure bikes. Yamaha S10 has 23liters (261kg), BMW 1200GS 20liters (229kg) and Ducati MS1200 20liters (220kg). Only exception is BMW GS Adventure with 33liters (256kg).
That's enough for Europe and most adventure touring I can think of from my point of view. Of course it may be different for US and Australia.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #254
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
That's still one of the biggest fuel tanks offered for current big adventure bikes. Yamaha S10 has 23liters (261kg), BMW 1200GS 20liters (229kg) and Ducati MS1200 20liters (220kg). Only exception is BMW GS Adventure with 33liters (256kg).
That's enough for Europe and most adventure touring I can think of from my point of view. Of course it may be different for US and Australia.
You missed the other exception - Moto Guzzi Stelvio (32L)

I used to be pretty hung-up about tank range and my 955i Tiger was pretty good with typically 215 miles in between fills (often did more). You can easily convince yourself that you need a bigger and bigger tank so that you don't need to visit a petrol station every day whilst touring and there certainly are benefits to that.

I then looked at the way I ride, most of the time. I'm not doing super long adventure tours, just hooning around with the occasional jolly to Wales, France or Spain and some local off-roading. I don't do much off-roading but I like the feel of a proper sporty trail bike on the road as well. My current 990 would just about get to 200 miles between fills if I take it easy but my normal fill-up range has just dropped by about 30-40 miles. So far, it hasn't been an issue and I can tap the benefits of the Adventure more than I can benefit form the desert fuel range of a more road-focussed/heavier bike.

If I ever embark on that desert-tour, I'll be spending a small fortune anyway so the modifications to carry extra fuel will be a drop in the ocean. If I do another Euro-tour, I'll take a collapsible fuel tank at the bottom of a pannier and probably leave it there, empty.

The exception is for those of us who regularly do distance on a daily basis such as long-distance commuting. I can fully understand why you would then select a bike based on range above (almost) anything else. The Guzzi and the GSA seem to have the edge here because they also have shaft drive.

I don't think you can win. Even GSA riders must have, on occasion, wished for a longer range when their reserve light flashed on and forced an inconvenient stop.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #255
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 205
Bring me that beast

It looks like a revamped smt to me and yes I like it because KTM runs in my veins. And yes, I would be torn between the R and non R version! I would love to test ride one although by the time it reaches my country we will be probably skating and not riding bikes ... (world economics suck big time!)