Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #2776
jcravens
CoyoteGirl

Oddometer: 35
Welcome, Disco Hamster (& learning offroad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Hamster View Post
I'm new here, and also had some difficulty finding a female-based thread
This thread is really hard to find on ADVRider. I'm not sure I could ever find it again. I subscribe to it, so I don't have to look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Hamster View Post
I'm a relatively new rider - about 4 years, but I put on a decent amount of miles... I'm looking to get into dirt hopefully sooner rather than later, but for now, I'm pretty much satisfied with pavement
In a similar place to you: I've only been riding since the Fall of 2009, but I've put on more than 14,000 miles, mostly from long-distance travel. And I'm starting to practice on gravel and dirt whenever we can find such roads here in the Greater Portland, Oregon area that aren't super busy or super difficult. It's frustrating to talk to guys and gals who have been riding dirt bikes since they were kids - they know what to do intuitively, and therefore, have no idea how to explain how to do it. They also don't seem to appreciate how hard it is for a short rider on a KLR (I'm 5' 4" - yes, the bike is lowered). My husband is an experienced ADVRider, and he does his best to give me advice - and find roads to practice on.

So - welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Now riding: 2008 KLR 650 ; Previously: 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650
On Twitter: @jayne_a_broad
jcravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #2777
jcravens
CoyoteGirl

Hello, "atomicalex" (Katherine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Katherine, riding an F650GS in Germany. Passed my big bike exam over here last September, license in October, bike in November.
Wow - you took and passed the GERMAN course? Impressive! I lived in Germany (4 years in Bonn, 4 years in Sinzig, 2001 - 2009), and my German was never good enough for the courses. I know you can take the written test in English, but my husband (he's German) went through some of the questions, and... yeah, I just wasn't convinced that the end result of me paying that huge course/test fee wouldn't be a big FAIL for me. So, again - impressive!

I did take a German Schnupperkurs course - it was an excellent first experience riding a motorcycle on my own, and the instructor's English was excellent.

Have you ridden around the Nürburg area? I so long to go back and ride it myself (rather than on the back of my husband's bike - which is fun, but, I really want to ride Germany *myself*).
Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #2778
jcravens
CoyoteGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikulakuti View Post
Do other girls get treated really badly when out looking for bike gear or is it just me? I'm starting to suspect that most bike shops think my money has 'girl germs'.
Those are some horrific stories - I really hope you wrote the management of each of those stores and let them know what you think of their customer service!

I've had mostly good experiences - let's say 60% good, and 40% horrible. My husband and I went to a Beaverton, Oregon motorcycle shop to look at motorcycles - I wanted a switch from my Honda Nighthawk - and I was completely ignored. The workers were much more interested in standing at the front of the shop and talking rather than helping me. I was furious. I was visiting Melbourne, Australia and went into a really gorgeous, huge BMW motorcycle shop, and while I certainly wasn't going to buy anything, I was expecting to at least get acknowledged by staff - not one person approached me. I was the only customer in the store. I wrote an email and let them have it - they wrote me a huge apology.

By contrast, I've had surprising good experiences at CycleGear in Portland, Oregon. In fact, they've been kind of apologetic when they haven't had much women's gear in stock and have profusely offered to order things just for me to try on.

I can't buy anything online - I have to be able to try things on. I just wish the USA had super stores like Germany - the Polo shops in Germany are HUGE and have a great selection onsite to choose from. But I can't find any such big mega store of motorcycle gear onsite anywhere in the USA. I'd be willing to travel there just to try stuff on!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #2779
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcravens View Post

I can't buy anything online - I have to be able to try things on. I just wish the USA had super stores like Germany - the Polo shops in Germany are HUGE and have a great selection onsite to choose from. But I can't find any such big mega store of motorcycle gear onsite anywhere in the USA. I'd be willing to travel there just to try stuff on!

POLO is always on my list when I go home to visit my family
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #2780
Disco Hamster
made of pudding

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcravens View Post
This thread is really hard to find on ADVRider. I'm not sure I could ever find it again. I subscribe to it, so I don't have to look for it.

In a similar place to you: I've only been riding since the Fall of 2009, but I've put on more than 14,000 miles, mostly from long-distance travel. And I'm starting to practice on gravel and dirt whenever we can find such roads here in the Greater Portland, Oregon area that aren't super busy or super difficult. It's frustrating to talk to guys and gals who have been riding dirt bikes since they were kids - they know what to do intuitively, and therefore, have no idea how to explain how to do it. They also don't seem to appreciate how hard it is for a short rider on a KLR (I'm 5' 4" - yes, the bike is lowered). My husband is an experienced ADVRider, and he does his best to give me advice - and find roads to practice on.

So - welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks! I subscribed to this thread, too. Good to hear from other gals out there. The bike is my daily commuter to work, which makes me wish work was a little farther. I can typically get "lost" on the way home though - within reason (I do have to walk the dog).

We went out Sat for our anniversary, and after about an hour came to a gravel road. My husband stopped and was like "Uh, it's up to you..." He's got an R1200GS, and I'm on the R1200R. I previously had a Ducati S2R1000, which HATED dirt. And rain. And twisties. And Tuesdays. Pretty much anything not "fast and in a straight line" made that bike very unhappy. But since he hasn't ridden much with me since we got these bikes, he wanted to make sure I was comfortable. The bike is fine, though - actually it's remarkable in a low traction situation.

But I hear you on the getting advice part - it's kind of a rarity that someone with a great deal of experience can also effectively teach. I'm sure we'll both figure it out, though. I figure I'm going to be doing a fair amount of "landscaping" as I go along.......
Disco Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #2781
Newstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Solo Trip

I'm leaving Friday morning for my first true solo trip! On Friday, it's Delaware to Niagara Falls where I will meet my friend, Owen. Saturday, Owen will ride with me to Tobermory, ON where I'll stay at his cabin. Then I'm solo again, across the ferry and around Lake Huron to Sault Ste. Marie, and then down to Mackinaw City, MI where I'll meet the hubby on his way back from Prudhoe Bay.

I'm not nervous at all but I'm finding my friends, riders and non riders, are all concerned. I can understand the non riders....but the concern from my riding friends surprises me a little.

www.gsgiants.com
Newstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #2782
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Can't wait to hear all about your trip! You will have some great stories and an awesome time! So excited for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
I'm leaving Friday morning for my first true solo trip! On Friday, it's Delaware to Niagara Falls where I will meet my friend, Owen. Saturday, Owen will ride with me to Tobermory, ON where I'll stay at his cabin. Then I'm solo again, across the ferry and around Lake Huron to Sault Ste. Marie, and then down to Mackinaw City, MI where I'll meet the hubby on his way back from Prudhoe Bay.

I'm not nervous at all but I'm finding my friends, riders and non riders, are all concerned. I can understand the non riders....but the concern from my riding friends surprises me a little.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #2783
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstar View Post

I've found that many folks seem to think it dangerous for a woman to take a solo trip even in a car much less on a bike. The number of folks who say "I can't believe you are doing that alone" is amazing. My husband and family who know me don't see any problem with my doing it and are less concerned about it than they would be some of the nephews and sons

Enjoy your trip, I actually enjoy solo trips quite a bit. The peace and not having to be on anyone else's time schedule is so exhilerating. I took the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan this summer which was a first for me on a bike. One tip that helps friends/family feel more secure is to send them a text or image with location information when you stop for gas or some site that made you want to take a photo. My first trip I did that using an iPhone app, That way if he didn't hear from me again (I'd give him a call when I stopped for the night) they'd have a clue where to look.

I took the idea from a woman who used to drive cross country with just small kids for company (her husband was in the military) who would call and leave her location on her answering machine. When she arrived at her destination (usually visit to family) she'd call in and erase the info but if she didn't arrive where she was going someone could check her machine and find her last reported location.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #2784
LooksGoodInRed
aka TrilobiteMX

Oddometer: 131
Bluhduh Off road knee protection

Hey Guys! I need to get myself an off road knee guards but without the shin protection part since I can't fit it in my boots . Do anyone have any recommendations? The protectors I have right now are for rollerblading and they hurt my knees .
Please help!

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart
LooksGoodInRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #2785
swann
Just practicing...

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikulakuti View Post
Hi Everyone!

I started riding GS bikes a few years ago and am happy to admit I am hooked! I love riding my old thumper, she's a '00 F650GS, bright yellow and named Flora. My other ride is an '85 R80 PD G/S named Patrick. My next ride is going to be a Ural Ranger sidecar. This however will require a sale of one of the GS' and the thought almost brings me to tears so not sure when that will happen. And I really want that sidecar!

Do other girls get treated really badly when out looking for bike gear or is it just me? I'm starting to suspect that most bike shops think my money has 'girl germs'. For an example, last weekend alone I had a few temperature raising moments. First shop, I tried on a pair of pants and needed the next size up. I asked the guy at the counter would he be able to order them in for me - his response? 'Why don't you just wear mens pants, we've got a whole shop full of them'. Mmmm, ok. Go to shop next door and ask 'What is the smallest size these enduro boots come in?' (whilst holding them up). The reply - 'I don't know, but girls don't buy them, you need these' (holds up boots with hooker heels). I ask again whether he can order them in in a size 38, the reply - 'How do you know you're a 38, have you ever measured your foot?' Hmmm.. ok...Went to the next shop to find there were only 2 pairs of ladies pants in the whole 'Super Bike Warehouse', pants were a size 6 and a size 22 and that was it! Next shop, ask 'Are these boots waterproof?' Reply - 'No, but we can get a liner seperately. Go ask your husband if he wants the liner and come back and let me know'. Next store, asked if I could have the keys to the R1200 GS out the front so I could check seat height, 'Yep' says the guy, comes back out and instead of giving keys to me goes and gives them to some random fat man eating a hotdog on the footpath. Because of cause he wanted the keys, couldn't possibly have girl germs on the bike, lol. Needless to say I do alot of shopping online
Wow! [insert buggy eyed face here]. That is awful!!!! There isn't a huge in-stock selection where I am in Minnesota so some of my gear I ordered online but I was able to get part of it locally. I'd much rather buy locally because proper fit can be really hard to find in women's clothing. Plus it costs a lot of money and I like to see the products before buying them. I don't mind special ordering though instant gratification is more fun. ;)

I went to Moon Motorsports in Monticello and got super service on the sales floor (my hubby said their service department is good but very rude when he brings our four wheelers in, I haven't interacted with their service department myself). Moon has a good variety of women's jackets and pants in stock but not the colors/sizes I wanted so I special ordered them. They were great!

I just visited Stormy Cycle in Albertville and talked with Brad, one of the owners. He was very helpful and they are expanding with a focus on adding more gear for women, among other initiatives. I was really happy about my experience there especially because they are so close to our home and how well I was treated. I plan to visit Aerostitch in Duluth next week. I want to get the reflective helmet arrow stickers and the yellow magnets and maybe the fake parking tickets. :) I'll let you all know how that visit goes.

I'm so sorry to read about your experiences! How very rude! I would want to know if stores treat women poorly so I wouldn't bother shopping there if employees were allowed to treat customers so disrespectfully.

Believe you can and you're halfway there. ~ Theodore Roosevelt
swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #2786
swann
Just practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerVacay View Post
I'm a new woman rider in the Twin Cities, MN area riding an '06 BMW f650gs! Just checking in and getting acclimated to this forum. Any great tips for getting connected?
I'm on the northwest side of the cities near Albertville. I'm interested in connecting with local riders too, men and women. I forget where I saw the list but I think there are two local groups for women. Women on Wheels and I can't remember the other one. I haven't been around long enough but I know local people also meet up on rides and events on this forum.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #2787
swann
Just practicing...

Great suggestions on traveling solo! I'll implement some of them on my upcoming trip!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #2788
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,551
btw just in case you didn't know, there is another women's thread in trip planning:

linky
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #2789
swann
Just practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
btw just in case you didn't know, there is another women's thread in trip planning:

linky
I didn't know that - thanks for the link!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #2790
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,157
Just a pointer for those of you who ride dirt, regarding Klim's Dakar pants. I've got big hips, and mine fit really well despite being made for men. They're the only dirt pants I've found that work for me. If you're a tiny woman, I think you have more options with regard to dirt gear. Klim's gear is expensive but lasts forever.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote