ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: What GPS should I go with?
Keep the Nuvi 3790lmt and buy the medium sized Ram Mount Aqua Box. 2 20.00%
Buy the Zumo 660. 6 60.00%
Buy the Zumo 350lm. 0 0%
Buy a different model. 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
scott0_1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question To buy or not to buy? Zumo 600 vs Zumo 350 vs Nuvi 3790

Hi Everybody,

My first post!

I am doing research to find the right GPS for me. I currently own a Nuvi 3790lmt, which is great for the car. On the motorcycle I use a Cardo Scala G4 headset which I usually connect to my phone, mostly to listen to music. I do, on the rare occasion, use the phone to talk. Unfortunately my phone will not make outgoing calls via voice through the Scala G4. It will make outgoing calls via voice through my Nuvi 3790 though. This is a minor issue as I try to avoid using the phone on the bike anyway.

A feature that is somewhat important to me is the ability to create a route on my computer and send it to the GPS. The 3790 does not allow me to do this, but I can send waypoints. The 3790 then uses its own "Trip Planner" to create the route.

So here is the dilemma. The Nuvi is not waterproof. I could buy the Ram Mount Aqua Box, but the thing is huge. Should I look at another model?

The Zumo 660 seems to be the ideal choice. It has bluetooth connectivity and it can play mp3's. I've read many reviews about it and some consistent issues seem to be poor bluetooth connectivity and the screen is very difficult to read in the sunlight. The sunlight issue seems like it can be solved buy buying the shade from Touratech for $16, so that's not too big of a deal. Any other thoughts on the Zumo 660?

The Zumo 350 seems to be getting very poor reviews, especially considering the price. Many features have been removed, including the mp3 player. It also seems like I would not be able to connect my phone to it to make or receive calls.

So the options I've found so far: Keep my Nuvi 3790 and buy the Ram Mount Aqua Box or buy a Zumo 660 or 350. If you have any thoughts or opinions, I'd love to hear them. Also, if I've missed any options that fit the bill, please let me know.

Thanks for the help,

Scott
scott0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I have a 665 which I believe is the same unit with the addition of XM capabilities. I also have the Scala G4 and although not perfect I think that it is about the best combination available. I will have to agree that the screen could be more readable in sunlight but once I used it for a while its really a non issue. I do like the live weather radar on the 665.
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
scott0_1 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the input. I think the 665 may be a little overkill for me. Especially living in Vancouver... The forecast: Rain! It's good to hear that the bluetooth is somewhat okay.

Someone voted for another model of GPS. I was just wondering what model that would be?

Scott
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
If you want a Garmin unit, based on your requirements the zumo 660 would be my recommendation. Check to make sure your cell phone is supported by the Bluetooth on the zumo. No problem using the G4 as your Headset.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
scott0_1 OP
Adventurer

I'm not necessarily looking for a Garmin. If there are alternatives out there that can do the same but better, I'd definitely be interested. I haven't seen too many equals out there though. The closest I've seen is the BMW Navigator IV, which seems to be a Garmin anyway?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0_1 View Post
I'm not necessarily looking for a Garmin. If there are alternatives out there that can do the same but better, I'd definitely be interested. I haven't seen too many equals out there though. The closest I've seen is the BMW Navigator IV, which seems to be a Garmin anyway?
Yes, the BMW Navigators are re-branded Garmin units.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote