Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #91
MotoBoss
Tundra Thumper

Oddometer: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Not enough money to really start anything, and certainly not enough time. I have possibly as many as 4 international competitions coming up this year, so of course preparing for those takes priority.

so many times we put off our dreams only to realize time has made them distant memories......................................just say'n.
DONATE TO ADVRider
MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #92
IRideASlowBike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
so many times we put off our dreams only to realize time has made them distant memories......................................just say'n.

This is true. It's a delicate balance. However, the future of my career will possibly depend on what happens with those competitions this year, and having a performing career is also a dream I've had, since I was 5. It's my profession, and motorcycles are not; unfortunately work must often take precedence over everything else. Considering that music is possibly THE hardest profession to make a living in, I can't afford to fuck around now and build choppers instead. Hopefully I still have some time left before I die, so I can always build a motorcycle another year, after (if) I've gotten up on my own 2 feet.

At least if I win something this year, maybe I'll finally have some money.
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #93
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think he has stated that one first criteria is No or Little money.
Good Point. So, I can't read.... but I can tinker.....
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #94
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 470
Here is a link to a pretty good source called What fits what.

http://www.amazon.com/What-fits-what.../dp/0933078048

Another thing to note, someone correct me if I'm off on the year, but Harley's frames didn't have VIN numbers on them until around 1973 (check for sure before buying). The VIN was the number stamped on the engine case on the left side just below where the barrels set near the timing hole plug, and this was the number used for title and licensing. If you find a Pan or early Shovel engine with a clean title you should be good to go, albeit they might be pricey. I bought my old Ironhead Sportster back in the 90's for $1500.00 when the Harley craze was starting to kick off. Older bikes will need a little more care and feeding than all the cookie cutter bikes out there now, but they are a blast to ride. I find that most of the folks who continue to tell me how unreliable, uncomfortable, bla, bla, bla my old bike is, have very little mechanical skills. That's not a bad thing, but I feel you should at least be able to know what you are talking about before talking trash about someone's motorcycle. Normally just asking a few questions about THEIR bike, ends up with them saying, "Well I don't know a lot about working on bikes, but someone told me they aren't reliable". I just nod and say uh-huh, while trying not to laugh.
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #95
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 677
Money is not the show stopper, desire is.
I have a pan chopper. How I acquired it is my point;
I'll be brief. About 30 years ago and having just lost my bike due to a smart trade and real bad luck, I lost my job too. After several months of no riding and no money, I was goin nuts. I traded a dead chevy station wagon for a dead super beetle and with the help of a good friend, built a trike out of the beetle. It was a slow process. Scrounging for tubing, lights, fenders, welding rod etc. We got it running eventually but not street leagle or licensed and just could not stay off the damned thing. It was a way fun ride and the cops couldn't catch it. Before long (lucky for me) I met a rider who had acquired this 50 FL chopper. I really liked his bike but it was totally thrashed. Somehow, it ran but everything needed rebuilt. He approached me with an offer to trade my outlaw trike plus $$ for the pan. I declined until he offered a straight across trade. I did that deal and began tearing the pan apart and learning all there is to know about the mechanics of it. Eventually I got a job and this allowed me to buy parts and over the next winter, she was reborn to suit me perfectly.
I have worn that bike out and rebuilt it four times now and will never part with it. Yes I still have it and it's just about ready for the road after the most recent rebuild.
Anything is possible with enough desire. It's very easy to find reasons of "why it can't be done". Much harder to follow desire no matter what. Very little in this life that is worthwhile is easy.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #96
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Hopefully I still have some time left before I die, so I can always build a motorcycle another year, after (if) I've gotten up on my own 2 feet.
I've read most of the responses and except for a select few, it sounds like most have not even ridden a chopper, let alone built one. There are many ways to do this, I can only relate my personal story.

I fell in love with choppers when I was a kid in the late 60's. I always wanted one. I am not a 'biker' with a group of chopper building buddies. I'm just another motorcycle fan who happens to love choppers. I have had and wrenched on several bikes over the years that were modified in various ways. I have spent the equivalent of a nice bike on chopper magazines over the decades. But until I reached my early 40's I didn't have the available cash or a solid plan to build one. With the help of a good friend and very talented tradesman (Pipefitter and HD man since the 50's) I was able to transform a wrecked 1980 FLH into a custom built rigid. Now, we did use an aftermarket rigid frame so for the purists, no, we didn't 'chop' an existing bike.

We discovered an available wreck through a local shop. They weren't interested in it but gave me the phone number. We made the deal with the owner and winched it onto a trailer and took it home. The front end was torn off, the frame was bent, remaining sheet metal was junk and the mess had sat in the back of a body shop for 8 years. But it did have a clear title.

Over the first winter I stripped the wreck and was able to salvage the motor, primary, trans and rear wheel. It took 2 years of collecting parts as the money became available. A quality aftermarket rigid frame with a moderate stretch and rake, controls, beltdrive, pipes, seat and a few other things. Good friends donated some parts and helped out with labour and support.

After I had most of the parts, I took the motor and trans into the aforementioned shop and they rebuilt them for a reasonable price. In the meantime we painted the frame, modified and fabricated mounts and polished parts. I fabricated and welded things that were not 'critical' items and my friend welded anything that was critical. He also machined parts on the lathe he had in his shop. It took 9 months from start to finish to complete the bike. It was done in 2003 and is still on the road. Since then there have been upgrades and tweaks etc. The beauty of a bike like this, along with the availability of the HD aftermarket, is that I can transform it into anything. I eventually plan to restore the Shovel and maybe put an Evo into the chopper chassis. But I could just as easily put a Pan or Knuckle in it. It only takes money. Anything is possible. But one thing is for sure. I will never sell it and it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever had the pleasure of riding. It only has approx 9,000 kms on it but every one has been a hoot! Unfortunately my good friend passed away from cancer a couple of years after we built it but I know he loved it as much as I do. He was a tradesman in the truest sense and would not let me build an unsafe rolling piece of junk.

Hang onto your dream! Anything is possible. You can do it if you really want to.

In a nutshell:

I formulated a plan and had a fairly clear picture of what I wanted.
We started with an intact drivetrain and legal title
I saved my money and bought parts as time and money allowed.
We rebuilt/refurbished anything from the wreck worth saving. Utilized used parts where practical
We hand fabricated and hand polished a lot of items out of stainless steel
I paid a professional shop to rebuild the engine and trans
We painted, assembled and wired it in a garage and then had the shop start it up and tune/time it etc.
Without a good, supportive network of talented friends, I'd probably still be working on it!

Here's what we built:
Attached Images

choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #97
choppahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Here is our starting point.....
Attached Images

choppahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #98
IRideASlowBike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_dan View Post
Money is not the show stopper, desire is.
I have a pan chopper. How I acquired it is my point;
I'll be brief. About 30 years ago and having just lost my bike due to a smart trade and real bad luck, I lost my job too. After several months of no riding and no money, I was goin nuts. I traded a dead chevy station wagon for a dead super beetle and with the help of a good friend, built a trike out of the beetle. It was a slow process. Scrounging for tubing, lights, fenders, welding rod etc. We got it running eventually but not street leagle or licensed and just could not stay off the damned thing. It was a way fun ride and the cops couldn't catch it. Before long (lucky for me) I met a rider who had acquired this 50 FL chopper. I really liked his bike but it was totally thrashed. Somehow, it ran but everything needed rebuilt. He approached me with an offer to trade my outlaw trike plus $$ for the pan. I declined until he offered a straight across trade. I did that deal and began tearing the pan apart and learning all there is to know about the mechanics of it. Eventually I got a job and this allowed me to buy parts and over the next winter, she was reborn to suit me perfectly.
I have worn that bike out and rebuilt it four times now and will never part with it. Yes I still have it and it's just about ready for the road after the most recent rebuild.
Anything is possible with enough desire. It's very easy to find reasons of "why it can't be done". Much harder to follow desire no matter what. Very little in this life that is worthwhile is easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppahead View Post
I've read most of the responses and except for a select few, it sounds like most have not even ridden a chopper, let alone built one. There are many ways to do this, I can only relate my personal story.

I fell in love with choppers when I was a kid in the late 60's. I always wanted one. I am not a 'biker' with a group of chopper building buddies. I'm just another motorcycle fan who happens to love choppers. I have had and wrenched on several bikes over the years that were modified in various ways. I have spent the equivalent of a nice bike on chopper magazines over the decades. But until I reached my early 40's I didn't have the available cash or a solid plan to build one. With the help of a good friend and very talented tradesman (Pipefitter and HD man since the 50's) I was able to transform a wrecked 1980 FLH into a custom built rigid. Now, we did use an aftermarket rigid frame so for the purists, no, we didn't 'chop' an existing bike.

We discovered an available wreck through a local shop. They weren't interested in it but gave me the phone number. We made the deal with the owner and winched it onto a trailer and took it home. The front end was torn off, the frame was bent, remaining sheet metal was junk and the mess had sat in the back of a body shop for 8 years. But it did have a clear title.

Over the first winter I stripped the wreck and was able to salvage the motor, primary, trans and rear wheel. It took 2 years of collecting parts as the money became available. A quality aftermarket rigid frame with a moderate stretch and rake, controls, beltdrive, pipes, seat and a few other things. Good friends donated some parts and helped out with labour and support.

After I had most of the parts, I took the motor and trans into the aforementioned shop and they rebuilt them for a reasonable price. In the meantime we painted the frame, modified and fabricated mounts and polished parts. I fabricated and welded things that were not 'critical' items and my friend welded anything that was critical. He also machined parts on the lathe he had in his shop. It took 9 months from start to finish to complete the bike. It was done in 2003 and is still on the road. Since then there have been upgrades and tweaks etc. The beauty of a bike like this, along with the availability of the HD aftermarket, is that I can transform it into anything. I eventually plan to restore the Shovel and maybe put an Evo into the chopper chassis. But I could just as easily put a Pan or Knuckle in it. It only takes money. Anything is possible. But one thing is for sure. I will never sell it and it is one of the most fun bikes I've ever had the pleasure of riding. It only has approx 9,000 kms on it but every one has been a hoot! Unfortunately my good friend passed away from cancer a couple of years after we built it but I know he loved it as much as I do. He was a tradesman in the truest sense and would not let me build an unsafe rolling piece of junk.

Hang onto your dream! Anything is possible. You can do it if you really want to.

In a nutshell:

I formulated a plan and had a fairly clear picture of what I wanted.
We started with an intact drivetrain and legal title
I saved my money and bought parts as time and money allowed.
We rebuilt/refurbished anything from the wreck worth saving. Utilized used parts where practical
We hand fabricated and hand polished a lot of items out of stainless steel
I paid a professional shop to rebuild the engine and trans
We painted, assembled and wired it in a garage and then had the shop start it up and tune/time it etc.
Without a good, supportive network of talented friends, I'd probably still be working on it!

Here's what we built:
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppahead View Post
Here is our starting point.....

Great stories both of you, and awesome bike!
IRideASlowBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #99
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 677
Yup. That shovel is beautiful. The before pic speaks volumes...

You should ride my pan.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #100
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 650
I've read most of the responses and except for a select few, it sounds like most have

Indeed,
I believe most chopper enthusiasts have not ridden one. Or any hard tail. Do a hundred miles bare minimum ,on a hand built bike ,before lighting a torch .
Regards ,Ed

Ps Please note that Choppa Head's stunning bike used an aftermarket frame and took 2 years of collecting parts

pennswoodsed screwed with this post 01-16-2012 at 04:22 AM Reason: amplification
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #101
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what about a wreck? A lot of these bikes only have salvage titles because of "light damage."
Usually their girlfriend scratched and smashed the lights (or set it on fire), the guy put too much armor all on the tires , a crinkled front fender, etc. Most are bashed in front ends like this one.
2005 883 sporty: $1950

http://www.autonetworkinc.com/inventory.aspx?f=2
(in "category" select motorcycles)

Sure you'd have to check it all out but if you're going to chop it, so what? I think these are a deal in my area especially since asking prices for ironheads/shovels are asking upwards of $2-4k. If you have a low budget or are superstitious, get a light wreck and ride the hell out of it for a year or two, change it up later.

Scott
ishdishwishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #102
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,134
I just stumbled upon your thread, not sure if you are interested, but here is what i have to offer:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...74&postcount=1

Cheers,
M.