Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 795 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #26476
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
The length and position of the stock makes me crazy.
I agree, she has it extended a bit too far. Part of the issue, however, is that sight. It's a Bushnell red-dot (actually has a green dot too) with fairly long eye-relief, and requires the shooter to get back from it a little more than something like an ACOG or more conventional scope, which is why I have it mounted so far forward on the Picatinny rail.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 10:35 AM
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #26477
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I agree, she has it extended a bit too far. Part of the issue, however, is that sight. It's a Bushnell red-dot (actually has a green dot too) with fairly long eye-relief, and requires the shooter to get back from it a little more than something like an ACOG or more conventional scope, which is why I have it mounted so far forward on the Picatinny rail.
Ah, I see.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #26478
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Ah, I see.
I do notice that a lot of novice shooters back away from a scope as much as they can. Her favorite rifle is a lever action with standard buckhorn iron sights. She does very well with it. I think she finds scopes/red-dots a little intimidating.....although the recoil from a .22 is hardly enough to give one a case of Weatherby eyebrow!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #26479
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I do notice that a lot of novice shooters back away from a scope as much as they can. Her favorite rifle is a lever action with standard buckhorn iron sights. She does very well with it. I think she finds scopes/red-dots a little intimidating.....although the recoil from a .22 is hardly enough to give one a case of Weatherby eyebrow!
Yeah, Kürbczech is very leary of rifles in general because someone gave her something like a 30-06 with a scope and no pointers on how to control it.

What's your opinion on redot style optics?

I find some of them interesting, but I can see how the housings might constrict your field of view.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #26480
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,661
NIB USGI Kimber of Oregon Match single shot with match sites - value?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #26481
Juanjo_NY
Banned

Oddometer: 4,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
You might like the idea of being able to see the sights but the distance from the centerline of the bore of the rifle and the line of sight through the scope bring about some complications. PLUS it looks like you are using a full size scope that is manufactured to be used at 100yds or greater bringing up the term parallax. If you try to sight in a .22 with a full size big bore scope not adjusted to be parallax free at 50yds you can shoot 5 shots into one hole move your face just a bit and repeat and you may still shoot into a ragged hole but it will be in a different place due to parallax. If you do not have a rock hard position to start with you will shoot to different spots with each shot. Bottom line, get a .22 scope parallax adjusted to 50yds, have your scope adjusted to be parallax free at 50 yds and whatever you do lose the see through mounts and mount the scope so it presents a clear picture every time you shoulder the gun. .
thanks, I have a 4.5 scope in my 12ga that may be a better fit for this .22.

on the side note, I just shot a box of the Remington CBee and I like them a lot more than the CCI CB's.
They shot a little higher than the CCI's and a lot more consistent.
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #26482
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Just picked up a Ruger Standard (pre Mark I), serial number dates to 1969. With the original box, paperwork, and wrapping paper. Along with an extra mag, also in original box. Bit of damage (could be bang marks from frustrated re-assembly) around the safe lever, otherwise no wear on the common areas. Looking forward to range time, bet my BB gun has more recoil.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #26483
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
NIB USGI Kimber of Oregon Match single shot with match sites - value?

Are you talking about the .22 rifles that at one time where available through the CMP? Last year I picked up one, not NIB, for $650.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #26484
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Yeah, Kürbczech is very leary of rifles in general because someone gave her something like a 30-06 with a scope and no pointers on how to control it.

I find some of them interesting, but I can see how the housings might constrict your field of view.
Shoot w both eyes open, it disappears. Cheap dots are just that, ive even tried the Vortex Strikefire and it was great, until i discovered that my single-point sling caused my chest-rig to touch the power button on the left side. That turns the brightness to it's lowest setting; making a $150 optical sight into a really expensive paper towel roll. Wasn't an issue until i got off the static range and started running my equipment in a "tactical carbine" course

Sad as it may seem, playing Battlefield 3 has helped me decide I want an Eotech over an Aimpoint. I prefer the donut/dot/crosshair thing better than a single dot

CodyY screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 03:39 PM
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #26485
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Shoot w both eyes open, it disappears. Cheap dots are just that, ive even tried the Vortex Strikefire and it was great, until i discovered that my single-point sling caused my chest-rig to touch the power button on the left side. That turns the brightness to it's lowest setting; making a $150 optical sight into a really expensive paper towel roll.

Sad as it may seem, playing Battlefield 3 has helped me decide I want an Eotech over an Aimpoint. I prefer the donut/dot/crosshair thing better than a single dot
They're both so damn expensive.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #26486
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
They're both so damn expensive.
BSA held zero for about 2 mags, Bushnell didn't even work outta the box
Fast Fire broke on a coyote/hog hunt falling over from leaned against a tree.
StrikeFire mentioned above incapable of consistent results

Comes down to Aimpont PRO and Eotech, but I tend to over accurize my speed shots and double taps at closer range with the dot vs the donut thingy.

So I'm wanting an EXPS2.0
Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #26487
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
What's your opinion on redot style optics? I find some of them interesting, but I can see how the housings might constrict your field of view.
I have an Aimpoint PRO on my AR and thought the optic would affect my field of view but it doesn't really. They're mean to be shot with both eyes open and looking at the target, not the dot.

I went with the Aimpoint instead of EOTech because I use the VLTOR CASV-M hand guard and it was designed to use the Aimpoint and the iron sights 1/3 co-witness perfectly whereas the EOTech wouldn't work with the iron sights at all.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #26488
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

: eotech and irons work fine.

Personally, ive got an ARMS #40 rear and a MI HK style flip-up on mine

Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #26489
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:

I've had limited experience with red-dots, but think they can be useful. I think, as with most scopes, you tend to get what you pay for. I like the smaller red-dots better than the scope style ones, think they give a better field of view. I'm thinking of stuff like the C-More STS and that style of sight on handguns or shotguns, and something like the Eotechs on a rifle. There are a bajillion options out there, but the little holo sights seem more the way to go if you ask me. The price range is equally vast, from less than $50 to multiple hundreds. I put the Bushnell thing on the 15-22 because I got a good deal on it and it seemed like a decent sight. It looks like a ACOG, but has no magnification, just a simple 1x viewing port with a dot. Not a bad sight, but there are better ones out there.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #26490
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
: eotech and irons work fine.
You missed the part where I mentioned that I'm using the VLTOR hand guards. It mounts to the upper receiver and raises the mount half an inch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: