Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #61
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well, I've had the opportunity to put some miles on the bike since refitting the original Yamaha needles.

Itsatdm, you were spot on! Much happier with the original needles. Flat spot almost gone and pulls a lot happier from low revs. Managed to pick up a used TRX air box from a fellow TRX forum member. I'll have to heavily modify it though as its to high to fit under the XJ6 tank without hitting it.

I reckon it'll run even better when I get the air box sorted and fitted.

The carbs and their inability to deal with all the altitudes was always a problem. An airbox is a good idea to make CV carbs work. They are susceptible to float height problems.

They do not deal well bouncing around in high altitude either. I do not know the cure to that. Left me flooded at about 13,000ft.

I also had periodic problems with hard starting and flame outs. It would just run out of gas in windy conditions. My fuel pump would run the battery down trying to get the vacuum pump to fill the bowls.

A common fix was a low pressure electric pump off a early 90's carburated R6. You need a relay.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #62
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I actually fitted a Facet 1-4psi pump last week trying to solve the fuel starvation problem. Didn't use a relay though.

Took the bike for its first long ride today. 350kms (220 miles) on dirt roads, back roads,main roads and freeway riding. Carby definitely sorted. Definitely need more padding in the seat, my arse is sore.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #63
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well after some months and a lot of miles on the beast ive had my first get off. A concrete causeway and some soft sand was my undoing. I also answered the question of whether I had enough engine protection, after I punched a hole in the alternator cover.
A few days on the welder and Ive got some custom made engine bars. Also replaced the rear disc caliper with a unit from a zzr250 Kawasaki, and while its early days yet, there seems to be a definite improvement. Also had to beef up the sidestand mounting bracket.
Bought some heated grips which Ive still got to fit before an overnight trip next weekend.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #64
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

TRX850 Adventure Bike Build cont....

Well after nearly a year on the road and plenty of miles, the Beast is still a work in progress.
Major problem has been the rear shock and linkage. The guy who built the frame builds roadrace bikes and sidecars for a living, and apparently applied the same principles to this adventure bike build. Problem is, he used a very nice roadbike shock absorber with about 45mm travel and built a custom linkage to achieve 200mm rear wheel travel. This resulted in a leverage ratio of approx 5:1. Ideal is 1.8:1 to 2.2:1. This meant I needed to run a 1200lb Eibach spring to get effective suspension with no bottoming out. The super stiff spring cooked the oil in the shock in a couple of months. It looks like the oil was overheated while trying to stop the shock snapping open due to the stiff spring.
So I completely redesigned and rebuilt the suspension linkage. Then I refitted the original shock, minus the spring, and I've only got 100mm wheel travel. Clearly I need a new shock. A dirt-bike shock with at least 80mm of travel should do nicely. A quick visit to my local bike wrecker turns up a completely shagged 1981 Honda CR125R shock and spring. The shock has 85mm of travel, and the mounts and dimensions are almost identical to the original Technoflex unit. The shaft needs re-chroming and the rest of the shock needs rebuilding, but when fitted to the bike without the spring, I had 200mm of wheel travel! I'm hoping the rebuilt shock will arrive today so I can go for a ride this arvo!!
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Hell yes!

We need a comparison photo of the roadbike shock versus the new shock that you plan to put in the bike.

And a photo of your newly redesigned rear shock linkage.

And a photo of the bike from the front.

And, and, and! MORE!!!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #66
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Will do Al, damn shock didn't arrive today as hoped. As soon as it turns up I'll take some photos for you. Ps. Followed your ride around south america....loved it.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #67
mudanddust
n00b

Oddometer: 5
this bike is awesome!
mudanddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #68
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
Why do I have a sudden urge to bastardise my TDM?
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #69
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,303
Cant believe it has taken me this long to run across this build. Any updates?

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 AM   #70
Straightedge
Skin Donor

Oddometer: 32
^^ What Chip said.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.
-Helen Adams Keller
Straightedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:53 AM   #71
Homerb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry guys, no updates. I sold the bike a year or so ago. I needed a new project. Had a couple since then.