Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #136
Loomis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
So I did my first oil change today (1236 miles in.. Oops).

No magnet on the plug, but I was surprised, not even a hint of metallic in the oil.

I also finished wiring in my 12v accessory outlet, and decided to add a sweet stick on 12v LED "dome light" to the inside of the storage cover. Mounted it to what is the top, when in the open position. Pics to come, as soon as I decide if I want to add a manual switch, or a pin to trigger when the lid is opened. Twice now I've caught myself digging in there for something at night and needed to use my phone for light. No mas!! :)

I did discover some kind of dried coolant splashed on my engine during the oil change though. Not sure if it's from something I rode through, or a leaky hose? Can't find a source, so I clean it off and will monitor.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #137
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
Ok, all you NC700 owners, I love the bike, it's beautiful, seems very practical, great gas mileage and sounds fun, it's even cheap! But what's with that wimpy front brake?
Didn't you read other posts?

That brake is anything but wimpy, it's more powerful then dual front
discs on the kawasaki 650R I had.

It's virtually the same as the KTM Duke 690 brakes.
1 finger is all it takes.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:24 AM   #138
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
KISS, simplify and add lightness, etc. A recent motorcycle mag test stopped a manual transmission NC700X in 50.5 meters from 70 mph. Do you know where that places it in motorcycles as a whole and what bike(s) do you ride and what braking distance does it give from 70?
Admittedly, I haven't ridden the NC700 yet, and you're right that it would probably easily out brake my current bike. But if I was going to the dealership to buy a brand new (non-cruiser or dirt bike) I just kind of expect dual front discs, I'm sure it's not totally necessary, but the bike isn't exactly light and I'm basically nitpicking an otherwise brilliant machine.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #139
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Admittedly, I haven't ridden the NC700 yet, and you're right that it would probably easily out brake my current bike. But if I was going to the dealership to buy a brand new (non-cruiser or dirt bike) I just kind of expect dual front discs, I'm sure it's not totally necessary, but the bike isn't exactly light and I'm basically nitpicking an otherwise brilliant machine.
There is more to braking than number of discs. 50.5 meters is shorter than some 600 and 1000 cc sport bikes, including current 2011-2012 race replicas. When it comes time to maintain or replace the brakes would you expect to pay for two discs when one got the job done as good or better? I am riding and maintaining two or three bikes and welcome the opportunity to save money in the long run so that appealed to me, and yes, I noticed and wondered about it too until I saw the Bike test a few months ago.

The bike is built to a price, there is no doubt about that. While it is built to a high level of fit and finish it is de-contented to some degree to save money. The brakes are very good however.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #140
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
There is more to braking than number of discs. 50.5 meters is shorter than some 600 and 1000 cc sport bikes, including current 2011-2012 race replicas. When it comes time to maintain or replace the brakes would you expect to pay for two discs when one got the job done as good or better? I am riding and maintaining two or three bikes and welcome the opportunity to save money in the long run so that appealed to me, and yes, I noticed and wondered about it too until I saw the Bike test a few months ago.

The bike is built to a price, there is no doubt about that. While it is built to a high level of fit and finish it is de-contented to some degree to save money. The brakes are very good however.
Good point on the money saving, I hadn't thought of that. Aside from the brakes, what other de-contenting has Honda done to achieve the low price?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #141
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Good point on the money saving, I hadn't thought of that. Aside from the brakes, what other de-contenting has Honda done to achieve the low price?
I haven't noticed it so much in my riding (mostly 20-30 minute commutes), but the seat is definitely a place they took some cost saving measures. But then again...I don't think I've ever noticed anyone who loved a bike's seat right from the dealer
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #142
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Paucity of aluminum in the frame, swing arm, handlebars, etc.. Non adjustable levers, non adjustable suspension.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #143
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,150
Quote:
Paucity of aluminum in the frame, swing arm, handlebars, etc.. Non adjustable levers, non adjustable suspension.
+1 on the suspension, add non-hydraulic clutch, simple instruments, no centerstand, chain drive vs. belt drive (debatable I guess) engine design based off a car engine. Chassis design flexible for other models.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.

richarddacat screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 03:11 PM Reason: LACK OF PROOF READING
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #144
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Well, the seat is a major disappointment. I always throw away the stock seat but I would have liked to throw away something better than what they provided.
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #145
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
+1 on the suspension, add non-hydraulic brakes and clutch, simple instruments, no centerstand, chain drive vs. belt drive (debatable I guess) engine design based off a car engine. Chassis design flexible for other models.
I got a cable clutch, but non-hydraulic brakes?

BTW, the cable clutch is quite satisfactory.
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #146
ArtCuisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Loaded question.

Owners, how does your new Honda compare to the
second generation Suzuki SV650 Naked you owned?

Less vibration?
Quieter?
More supple suspension?
Healthier engine performance at less than drag-racing efforts?
Is the handling close enough?
It sounds like the brakes have to be better.
Anything else notable?

Thank you.
ArtCuisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #147
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I got a cable clutch, but non-hydraulic brakes?

BTW, the cable clutch is quite satisfactory.
The NC seat is literately a pain in the ass! But that will be cured with a Day Long seat in time.
The postage stamp shield could have been, well more!
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #148
draco_1967
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Just join the ranks of NC700X owners! Just purchased mine from Honda World in Salt Lake. I hopped on the thing, went for a test ride, and fell in love! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all do with yours. Seat and engine guards are probably #1 for me for now.
draco_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #149
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Well, the seat is a major disappointment. I always throw away the stock seat but I would have liked to throw away something better than what they provided.
This is comedy gold right here.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #150
AdvSplash
Find the world

Oddometer: 46
Wicked My ncx7 (uk)

Hi All,

A few pics of mine. I traded in my CBR250R for this lovely machine. I purchased it on 8th June 2012 and currently just coming up to 8,000 miles on it.

I ride mostly one up however, on the weekends it's my and my other half. We both love this bike for its practicality.

I've currently added the Givi Pannier rack and topbox rack of which I have placed the Givi E52 Maxia and E45 Panniers.

The next few things are ohlins rear shock, GPS set up and a seat change. But other than that it's a real work horse. Hope you enjoy my pics.

'12 Honda NC700X

*One Young Rider. One Destination. One Week.
AdvSplash is offline   Reply With Quote