Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #68551
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,600
we just have to get Briggs and Stratton to sell the pieces they punch out.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #68552
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
I just picked up my 35F0 GSX-R can on ebay for $46 in pretty much mint condition. These are the cans that came on 01-03 GSXR 600 and 00-03 GSXR 750. They will flow plenty well for a DR650, considering the 00-03 GSXR 750 makes 140HP, 100 HP more than our bikes. It is a couple pounds heavier than the 40F0 (01-02 GSXR 1000) but still much lighter than the stock muffler. Very nice tone, louder than stock for sure but not as loud as the FMF Q4 and hardly any popping on decel. I am not sad that I did not hold out for a 40F0. Dimention wise, the 35F0 and 40F0 are the same. The Keintech GSXR midpipe kit will work for either the 35F0 or the 40F0.

The GSXR midpipe kit from keintech is VERY nice. It seems expensive, until you get the kit in your hands. They put a lot of effort into making it a perfect bolt-up to the DR650. Even including a nice machined, SOLID, handsome bracket to mount the muffler to the mounting point on the sub-frame. So with the 35F0 and Keintech midpipe kit, I have $280 including shipping into the setup. My FMF Q4 that I had previously cost me $300 shipped.

One of the big reasons I held off on the GSXR pipe conversion was that I liked the way the FMF looked, and didn't think I liked the way the GSXR muffler looked. Now that I have it installed, the GSXR muffler looks awesome on the bike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Suzuki-...8d7a9f&vxp=mtr
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #68553
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
we just have to get Briggs and Stratton to sell the pieces they punch out.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #68554
Mongle
Knuckle dragger

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
I've used it full strength to remove Sharpie markings on plastic.. as long as the sharpie markings aren't that old. If they've been around for ages, forget it.

Note... I've read that Simple Green has been known to cause pitting on aluminum if left on it for an extended time. It's fine for cleaning it, just don't spray and forget. I use it all the time to clean grease off my DR650, like all the grease crap that builds up around the front sprocket. Though FWIW, WD40 actually works better in that particular case. Then I re-oil the chain afterward. :)

Rob
And do NOT spray it on a hot engine. It will turn the alumn. case white. I have seen people spray it on hot alumn. rims after driving and it dries almost immediately and causes a white stain. After that it takes a lot of Mothers polish and elbow work!
Mongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #68555
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,068
U-Haul, part of the Suzuki DR Experience.

My wife's bike blew out its countershaft oil seal and lost a lot of oil. I could probably have fixed it but we decided to load both up and come home to fix it properly.

The rail we found sitting beside the parking lot worked beautifully as a ramp. Sure came in handy, though it weighed a couple of hundred pounds.

After my alternator problem on the BMW F8 earlier in the week, I figured bad luck comes in threes, so let it happen at home.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #68556
edwardo
clever witticism here

Oddometer: 57
To mod or not to mod...

Hello all...hope you don't mind a somewhat retarded question...

I have added the pumper to my DR. Along with a 13/42, I am loving the ride I'm getting from it (secondary, gravel, moderate trail). From the thread, it seems the GSXR exhaust is getting harder to come by. I have the stock muffler currently and really like the lack of noise from it. BUT...if the GSXR or 'busa exhaust would open another door, I wouldn't mind spending the coin...
My question: what kind of performance increase could I appreciate from the exhaust modification??
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #68557
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
173K miles, now that's what I'm hoping for!

And I have a nice ocean front property for sale in Nevada if you're interested
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #68558
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
My question: what kind of performance increase could I appreciate from the exhaust modification??
Flow-wise, the stock can isn't really too bad. It's heavy though; many replace it more to save weight (which helps performance in all areas) than to increase power output.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #68559
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty ... View Post
Flow-wise, the stock can isn't really too bad. It's heavy though; many replace it more to save weight (which helps performance in all areas) than to increase power output.
With my 105kg (230lbs) + gear, a couple of kg's can is really not going to make a hell of a lot of difference. Me eating less might have a much bigger impact on performance
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #68560
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 601
Changed to the Ti GSXR can a few weeks ago. Using my digital scales there is a 6 lbs 4 oz weight savings weighting both then GSXR muffler and mid pipe aganist the stock DR muffler. Made no changes to carb jetting. Mileage nor performance seemed to change. So if you want to save 6 lbs 4 oz make the change. I liked the quite of the stock pipe but wanted the weight savings since I always over pack when traveling.

TravelGuy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo View Post
Hello all...hope you don't mind a somewhat retarded question...

I have added the pumper to my DR. Along with a 13/42, I am loving the ride I'm getting from it (secondary, gravel, moderate trail). From the thread, it seems the GSXR exhaust is getting harder to come by. I have the stock muffler currently and really like the lack of noise from it. BUT...if the GSXR or 'busa exhaust would open another door, I wouldn't mind spending the coin...
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #68561
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 995
Since weight came up

Its a little slow on the night shift tonight so I broght the DR in and put it on the scales out of curiosity.

Mostly stock, 08 DR, IMS tank=less than half full, , Dirtbagz rangers and racks, rear rack with wolfman peak bag, wolfman enduro tank bag, small gps, vapor, blah, blah, blah.....

Anywho it came out to 388 lb.s, better than I though. The gas is quite low though, likely 1.5 gals. left or so.

Things you do to kill time on the night shift eh!
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #68562
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Oddometer: 190
Lucky Catch Today

Took the sprocket cover off to check if it needed a degrease this arvo.....

Glad I did.

Missing one bolt completely, one is oh so loose (left) and the third (right) is moving. This could have been oh so bad. Sprocket moves if it's wiggled.

Hopefully the missing one is not snapped off and in the drive.

Cheers

Pete
Old 08-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #68563
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnbiker View Post
Just finished my breakin service on my 2012 dr650. And im lookin into upgrades .. however the aftermarket for the bike has changed since i moded my 2001. Can someone tell me what exhust / jetkit and intake will give me the most hp gain. They dont make the yoshimura system i had on my 2001 anymore.. and have they made a racing cdi for it yet ?
A LOT has come into the DR aftermarket in the last few years. Some people are now making over 50WHP with these engines, through big-bore kits, cams, big-valve heads, and other mods.

Check out www.kientech.com and www.procycle.us for many of the popular performance mods. A popular air/fuel setup is an FCR39 or a TM40 flat-slide pumper carb, a GSX-R X40F0X muff with Kientech midpipe, a foam airfilter (Uni, TwinAir, etc.), and a cut airbox. Some people are also experimenting with EFI.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:26 AM   #68564
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Emmbeedee - sorry to hear the ride was cut short but probably the prudent choice. Just a hint on turning in the rental if you have a choice. Check how much it costs to turn it in at different return locations. Some are overstocked on certain trucks/trailers and charge you more to drop it there vs 5 - 10 miles away. I rented a car trailer one way and saved 30% by driving 4 miles.

It's good the two of you get out together.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 AM   #68565
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
My wife's bike blew out its countershaft oil seal and lost a lot of oil. I could probably have fixed it but we decided to load both up and come home to fix it properly.
Any warning. My tard is currently leaking at the seal when she gets hot, I'd rather not find myself hot in a corner with a well lubricated rear tire.
thetable is online now   Reply With Quote