Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #436
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Looking at a Used Capo

H guys!

I am a former Aprilia owner (2001 Falco) and long time rider. I have an opportunity to purchase a first year (2001-2?) Caponord that has been virtually un-ridden (90 miles on the clock) and pretty much untended since new. It belongs to a friend of mine who bought it from Motot International (Seattle) rode it home and parked it ten years ago in a heated garage, then never took it out again. It is cosmetically perfect and has the Aprilia hard bags.
I

I realize there are some things I will need to do to recommission this machine including replacing the battery, draining all fluids and fuel and replacing them with fresh stuff and getting new tires organized. I suppose there is the possibility that the FI system may need some cleaning.

Apart from that, what issues might I expect in a machine that has not been run for the better part of ten years, and, presuming there are none of those, what recalls/updates/ might this machine have missed out on that need the attention of a knowing wrench? I have some concern about seals and gaskets going dry, but I guess a proper inspection and some running in can answer those questions. Any insight there?

I am a fan of the Rotax, having owned one in the past, and I am somewhat familiar with it's pluses and minuses, although if my memory serves, the Capo used a different FI system than the Falco/Mille. This is one very clean looking and unused machine so I am willing to invest a few bucks in getting it roadworthy again, but I do not want to get in too deep. I can probably pick her up for about 4,000 and if all I face are the recommissioning issues, I can be on the road for under $5K with an essentially unused, brand new CN. Does this sound like a good prospect?

Pampero screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 11:02 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #437
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Sounds like a heck of an opportunity. There are a few minor fixes it will need, brown connector, fuel line recall, regulator/rectifier and I guess the coils occasionally fail. Change out the fluids and tires and it should be good to go. I say do it!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #438
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Hi 'burner! I was hot for a GS (owned an 1150 as well) but this deal seems too tight to pass up, especially because we have a good Aprilia dealer in town so support is at hand. I rode a CN a number of years ago and remember that I preferred the GS's suspension, but not it's motor. Actually, I can barely remember the experience! I think the CN could keep me happy for a few years. It's one of the matte finished dark gray/black models that they were turning out back then in '02. An economical way to buy a very competent, and at this point, somewhat exotic machine. Aprilias have always been good value.

Anybody else have anything to add, or just pull the trigger; and what about fork seals and the like? Any worries there? I am not worried about the Rotax except to the extent the the fuel has to be pretty putrid at this point!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #439
Nomadgene
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 22
I would not hesitate a moment and would consider myself a fortunate soul to find a Caponord with such low mileage. Act quickly before someone comes to their senses.

To let such a fine machine sit in a garage all those years collecting dust is damn near criminal.

The issues are easy to sort and the fixes well documented.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #440
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Hi 'burner! I was hot for a GS (owned an 1150 as well) but this deal seems too tight to pass up, especially because we have a good Aprilia dealer in town so support is at hand. I rode a CN a number of years ago and remember that I preferred the GS's suspension, but not it's motor. Actually, I can barely remember the experience! I think the CN could keep me happy for a few years. It's one of the matte finished dark gray/black models that they were turning out back then in '02. An economical way to buy a very competent, and at this point, somewhat exotic machine. Aprilias have always been good value.

Anybody else have anything to add, or just pull the trigger; and what about fork seals and the like? Any worries there? I am not worried about the Rotax except to the extent the the fuel has to be pretty putrid at this point!
If you're going into the forks, investing in some cartridge emulators (Rincor or Racetech) is probably not a bad idea, along with the upgraded springs. The biggest reviewer complaints about the early production Caponords regarded the front suspension, and that's been sorted nicely by the aftermarket (and to a degree the late production Caponords).
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #441
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
If you're going into the forks, investing in some cartridge emulators (Rincor or Racetech) is probably not a bad idea, along with the upgraded springs. The biggest reviewer complaints about the early production Caponords regarded the front suspension, and that's been sorted nicely by the aftermarket (and to a degree the late production Caponords).
Thanks; I will look into that. I do recall the front end being a bit soft, but maybe it's just my mind that is. I'll have a few bucks left over for improvements, which don't necessarily need to be instantaneous as long as the seals are good. My experience with moribund equipment is that seals are the main issue in respect to mechanical items that don't get used regularly.

I do recognize this as a unique opportunity. The owner is a close friend and the deal is private, and has been struck. I will get the bike in the next couple of days and join the posse of Capo Norde owners with pictures and smiles. I even have an Arai Ago (graphics) helmet to go with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadgene View Post

To let such a fine machine sit in a garage all those years collecting dust is damn near criminal.
He's a short guy (5'7") and never felt comfortable on it. I encouraged him to buy it way back when, but it never really suited him.
I guess he felt the way I did when I tried a GSA; just a bit on the high side for me. I can flatfoot the Capo no problem, so for me it will be like coming home.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #442
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
Really liking the Capo so far. It needs bag racks, are the Givi racks Ok? I'll be putting my own bags on so what bags fit isn't important.
I also need a tank bag and a power supply for my GPS. I haven't looked at the fuse panel in the dash yet, maybe a power plug on the dash somewhere would be good.

I'd like to mount my GPS on the dash, anyone done this with any luck?

Any other things I need to do, VR and plugs have been done.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #443
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

I bought it. Put a battery in her and she fired off after two spins. Runs like a Rotax. Not a scuff on it, she looks new (as she is) has 234 miles on the clock. No leaks, no corrosion, even the tires are good, or at least they are not flat spotted. Here she is taken down to install a new battery. I will pick it up this weekend, and I am starting to get excited. Not the bike I was thinking of buying, but maybe all the bike I really need right now. I'm hoping so, at any rate.

I took a look at her sibling, the Stelvio and was interested in those; might have taken a ride if this fell through but considering the difference between this and a new GS ($18000 plus the tax!) I am feeling pretty smug. Back in the saddle!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #444
rubRsidedown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
WOW, nice find!!!

Super nice bike and what sounds like a heck of a deal.
I would buy that for a road/touring bike for myself.

Ride safe.
"We don't quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."
rubRsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #445
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubRsidedown View Post
WOW, nice find!!!

Super nice bike and what sounds like a heck of a deal.
I would buy that for a road/touring bike for myself.

Ride safe.
Thanks. After doing the research I have had some doubts but also had the doubts largely relieved based on what I can do for it and what I get for the money. I will replace the tires even though they "look" OK. Ten years is too old to trust, but this thing's really a time capsule. This forum and the links within have been helpful in informing my decision. I started lurking a month or so ago and pondering my options.

I have to be honest and say that if I were less driven by financial motives, I wouldn't have the Capo at the top of my list, but all things taken in balance, I'm very excited about it. To ride and buy at full pop, I would have had an MS or a GS, but they were not in the cards for different reasons. Of late, I took a shine to the Stelvio because our local dealer sometimes gets three year old buy backs which he sells for 60% of the cost of an NX. If this had fallen through, that would have been high on the list of prospects. The twin cam BMWs are still too rare on the used market and the wethead too close in, to encourage purchase of a late model oilhead for me. I want to see what happens to the post 2010 GSs after the new bike comes out. I like buying late model used bikes; it's where the value is in my book. This Capo is sort of like that.I've been wondering bout the Dosiduro (spelling?) but this Capo is really the kind of bike I want and need and I know it will have all the motor and ride/ prowess that I require.Whatever it doesn't have can I think reasonably be built in. I'm just going to ride it for now.

Pampero screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 08:19 AM
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #446
Nomadgene
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Thanks. After doing the research I have had some doubts but also had the doubts largely relieved based on what I can do for it and what I get for the money. I will replace the tires even though they "look" OK. Ten years is too old to trust, but this thing's really a time capsule. This forum and the links within have been helpful in informing my decision. I started lurking a month or so ago and pondering my options.

I have to be honest and say that if I were less driven by financial motives, I wouldn't have the Capo at the top of my list, but all things taken in balance, I'm very excited about it. To ride and buy at full pop, I would have had an MS or a GS, but they were not in the cards for different reasons. Of late, I took a shine to the Stelvio because our local dealer sometimes gets three year old buy backs which he sells for 60% of the cost of an NX. If this had fallen through, that would have been high on the list of prospects. The twin cam BMWs are still too rare on the used market and the wethead too close in, to encourage purchase of a late model oilhead for me. I want to see what happens to the post 2010 GSs after the new bike comes out. I like buying late model used bikes; it's where the value is in my book. This Capo is sort of like that.I've been wondering bout the Dosiduro (spelling?) but this Capo is really the kind of bike I want and need and I know it will have all the motor and ride/ prowess that I require.Whatever it doesn't have can I think reasonably be built in. I'm just going to ride it for now.

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprise by what you have stumbled upon. The Capo is a first rate bike…make no mistakes about it. You will be beaming with pride after you get out there and begin riding it. I've ridden LOTS of other adventure bikes, you are giving up next to nothing riding an Aprilia. You have a wonderful dealer and competent service facility at your beck and call there in Seattle. You have no worries. Michea is a very knowledgable guy.

I suggest you also look at AF1, the Aprilia forum. www.apriliaforum.com . It is the bible for Aprilias on the net. The people there are your friends. Tons of knowledge.

I think your idea to change the tires is a good one. I've had great success with the 4 sets Metzler Tourances on my Capo, but am trying a set of Heidenau tires this go round. It's always good to see what else is out there.

I also highly suggest you get with Catfish (he is both here and in the Aprilia Forum) to get the bike remapped. It is a relatively simple job with dramatic benefits to the bike. It really wakes up the neutered power plant. These motors are so over engineered and come from the factory choked up. A program away and you are pulling wheelies.

The stock fork springs are a bit soft for me. They could use a bit more stiffness, especially under heavy braking or a load.

Also the Aprilia forum has a used parts section where folks are always selling bits. A nice set of the old factory luggage will be much less expensive than going down the NEW route.

Happy motoring. I'm available in this thread or via PM if you have any questions. I've got about 20K miles on my Capo, 3 other Aprilias and absolutely love the brand.

BTW, it's called a dorsoduro:The genesis of the name itself is open to argument. It is, undeniably, a district of the Italian city of Venice. In direct translation, however, it means "Hard Ridge". Where the motorcycle is concerned though, the latter part of the name, "Duro", is certainly derived from the "Enduro" type of motorcycle, a powerful and rough type of machine designed to cross long distances off-road. Almost certainly, then, Aprilia meant the name Dorsoduro to suggest "Hard Enduro" to the public at large (at least outside Italy).
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #447
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Hi Nomadgene!

Yes, Micha is a great guy and Moto I and Dave R. is/are a fine resource. I was there yesterday to pick up the battery for the new bike. I also bought a bike there about six or seven years ago and in fact, we married Micha (and his first wife) on our boat. Another story for another time. I also know Catfish (I will assume there can only be one!) and Farkle Masters through the old Falco Forum, but the lead on his map is useful, so thanks! I had one of the first Falcos in the area and modified it with the usual tweaks and farkles so this won't be my first Ape.

I probably won't have the bike until this weekend but it is all I can do not to daydream about it. I sold my GS1150 two years ago, knowing I would get something else, but didn't expect it to take two years and really surprised myself in buying the CN. I must have said that three times already. This bike comes with a Givi top case and the original Aprila hard bags and mounts so I won't need bags. Other than that it is bone stock, which is fine. I get to do it my way. I have had many Tourances (on the GS) and have no trouble going that way but I have also read about other options and probably won't order tires until after I pick the bike up. We'll discuss that!

As I said, I'm glad to have had this resource as well. It encouraged and informed my decision; not a hard one given I know the original owner and he has been so reasonable with me. I subscribe to the magazines (always have) so te Dorsoduro (spelling) was my main confusion. I read the "first ride" report thing about it in one of this month's mags. I'm probably a little less hard edged in my needs as this is my one and only at this time so a bike biased towards sporty touring is really the deal for me. But usually, the collection has a way of growing and shrinking. The list of my prior ownerships (which dates back to 1957 Triumphs) is long and entertaining, but my hard sport bike days are over. I'm probably old enough to be most people's father! Well, let me put it this way; I have a 40 year old daughter

Stand by for a PM in short order.

Pampero screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 02:34 PM
Old 08-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #448
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Keeping this thing rolling

As a new owner I'm probably more enthusiastic about bikes the newest of which are now going on five years old, but I picked up my 2002 today. I've talked about it above, so I won't go into more detail here except to show the pictures. It still had all those annoying stickers that Aprilia slaps on and I have only removed a couple of them. Otherwise, she'll do fine.

Hard to find a 2002 like this with such low miles. I even get to give her the 600 mile service.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #449
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Beautiful color like mine too!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #450
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
Does anyone know of a US source for Rally Raid suspension links? I'm waiting on my sidestand from the UK, went for a ride with the wife the past couple days. I'm used to riding my uly and this thing drags way early. It has hyper progressive springs with the preload all the way up, probably needs heavier springs as neither of us are light. Other than that I like it.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote