Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domiken View Post
Here in the tri-state area, the stick won't go up on the majority of the EZPass tolls if it does not read, an attendant physically comes out, if you don't have it they will make you pull over, write up your tag and you can mail in the payment plus a small fee.

Interesting here there are lanes for using the I-Pass, and they do not have gates as people would run into them when they malfunctioned.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #32
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,125
I generally keep my EZ-Pass in my jacket pocket. I was told by a toll attendant to hold it up over my head, seems to work every time that way.

Only problem is when there's gates, you're going so slow it's tough to ride the bike with one hand missing on the clutch.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shifty Jesus View Post
Well, if you're running around NJ/NY, you might as well just carry it around in an easily accessible and quickly removable place, because it's not going to work half the time anyways.

Their tool booths really do suck reading them off a motorcycle for some reason.

I used to carry mine in the map pouch of my tank bag, so I could rip the map pouch off quickly and wave it above my head like a jerk-off when it wouldn't read normally. Eventually I gave up and just shoved it in my pocket.

There is a manual reader with a button on the top of the gate; lay it on the reader and push the button. The police and/or toll booth maid (whoever may be around) gets pretty pissed at you for doing it yourself though FYI. They don't like you stepping off the bike.
This has been my experience as well. I can't stand the gates in NY. They never work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #34
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I have this on my GSA handlebars. Works every time.

http://www.motochanic.com/motorcycle...FQJN4AodcXAAHg
I usually put the pass in the wrist pocket of my R3 jacket, it reads about half of the time, even when I'm waving my arm around.

The linked holder looks pretty good. Will it mount to the windshield crossbar, say between the mounting arms for the Touratech GPS mount?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #35
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I usually put the pass in the wrist pocket of my R3 jacket, it reads about half of the time, even when I'm waving my arm around.

The linked holder looks pretty good. Will it mount to the windshield crossbar, say between the mounting arms for the Touratech GPS mount?
It came with rubber insert to mate it to a handlebar. With more rubber wrapped inside it would clamp OK to crossbar. I may move mine up there to free handlebar space for more crap.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #36
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
It came with rubber insert to mate it to a handlebar. With more rubber wrapped inside it would clamp OK to crossbar. I may move mine up there to free handlebar space for more crap.
Well then, looks like I ought to try it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #37
Gruesome
Alter Heizer

Oddometer: 682
The Illinois Tollway Authority - a very special institution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Interesting here there are lanes for using the I-Pass, and they do not have gates as people would run into them when they malfunctioned.
Yep, that's what we used to do. The gates usually were open during rush hour, and when they were down the good people here either wouldn't trust their eyes, or reckoned that it sure must be open by the time they hit it. I think extra points were awarded if you slowly broke it off while an attendant was looking on. Double extra points if you just cracked it so it stuck out at an odd angle and the attendant had to finish it off him/herself. It was also entertaining to watch them when some crafty dude would get out of the car and start collecting the loose change from the ground.
What a boondoggle, those toll roads and the (very) special administration they come with. The tollway authority even used to have their own helicopter, on a patch at I-355 and 88; I think they finally took that away, after too many private trips.
Gruesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #38
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Yep, register my plate and leave the tag at home
Yep, I am doing it for last 8 years. Stupid transponder died after about 6 months. They already have your registered plates on file.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #39
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Yep, I am doing it for last 8 years. Stupid transponder died after about 6 months. They already have your registered plates on file.
That works everywhere except where there are gates.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #40
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,191
I ride in the NY, NJ, CT area. I use EZ Pass mounted on (GSA) handlebar mount (GT) windscreen. In the last 5 o so years I have only had one miss-read on the toll pass. Every other time the gate goes up and I ride through slowly. Best if the EZ Pass is mounted so that the top side faces the sensor on the roof of the toll both, just like with a car. Otherwise it will be hit or miss.

If I had a crappy reading toll pass I would likely be run over by gentle NY drivers as I slowed or stopped in the lane.....
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #41
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soberman001 View Post
Thanks WB. The transponders here in NJ are about the size of an iphone. As far as I know, we have not adopted the mini-pass which are more like a credit card style sticker.

Based on your comments, I should be able to put it under the fairing? Or worst case, mount it on top of the gas tank with some velcro?

I keep mine in my breast pocket, works fine when going through NJ, NY, Mass, or NH. Doesn't even matter which side is out.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I'm in NY and I run my EZpass all the time through the toll booths on my commute. I got one of those plastic ezpass holders that you mount on your handlebars. Works great, always gets recognized by the sensor, and in case it doesn't its easily removable to hand it to the attendant. Also easy to remove when I'm off the bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Han...der+motorcycle

Used to carry ez pass in the pocket, but it didnt read half the time, was a real pita. 20+ bucks might be a bit much for a piece of plastic, but to me convenience is worth it.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
SFCommuteRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Check your bill

[QUOTE=hetman;19399616]Yeah, if you can register it with them (in the Bay Area at least, it's just on their website), there's no reason to have the transponder anymore at all
If they're lucky, they can read your plate and charge your funded account..

If the transponder doesnt register the system looks up your license number and adds to your account But, They charge the full fare instead of the reduced carpool fare for motorcycles! Check your bill.
'92 R100R
'92 Nighthawk 750
SFCommuteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #44
DCMC
Supermoto Rider

Oddometer: 78
I just stuck mine to the tank right in front of me where I can grab it off and hold it up, because the toll booths in the northeast up 95 are old and never read it anyway. I look like a crazy man rolling through at 2 MPH with my hand up in the air.
DCMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #45
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
[QUOTE=SFCommuteRider;19443545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetman View Post
Yeah, if you can register it with them (in the Bay Area at least, it's just on their website), there's no reason to have the transponder anymore at all
If they're lucky, they can read your plate and charge your funded account..

If the transponder doesnt register the system looks up your license number and adds to your account But, They charge the full fare instead of the reduced carpool fare for motorcycles! Check your bill.
Had me scared there!
Here's a line from a bill (looks like I got lucky):

Tag Agency Plaza Entry Time Entry Exit Debit Balance
CA20N5436 CALT BEN 08:45:39 17 - - $2.50 $18.40
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote