Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #5221
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,855
Screen

'08 E shows 5,000 miles or so.
Doing the CA Cycle pump. and I'll probably mod the pump housing for more flow around the new pump for additional cooling.

Also, thinking I may replace the quick disconnect with the NAPA filter (part number?) Will the filter fit in the stock location of the disconnect?
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #5222
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by wino975 View Post
On tarmac which consumption do you obtain with the vortex?
I hardly ever ride tarmac , but I think with the Vortex on the economy mode it would be similar economy to standard. A lot of the Vortex maps give a noticable decrease in economy .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #5223
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by al m View Post
Hi there KTMers,

I'm looking at getting an single-lung adventure bike (2nd hand) for a big ol' Central/North American ride and am currently interested in the 690 Adventure or DR650. Some might say these bikes are chalk and cheese but this is what I've narrowed it down to for my own reasons...I've come here looking for your opinions on comfort of the 690 and to ask what sort of maintenance I'd be looking at if I owned one of these things.

Can any of you kind gentlemen shed some light on these topics? Obviously I'm looking at a ton of miles so comfort is paramount but so is maintenance once I get off the beaten track.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I'll see you on the road!

goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #5224
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,708
I don't have any problems with the stock seat but i do stand up alot on the rides i do
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #5225
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
I don't have any problems with the stock seat but i do stand up alot on the rides i do
Nice one B2..... that about sums up the seat comfort question....it's ok as long as you don't sit on it
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #5226
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Nice one B2..... that about sums up the seat comfort question....it's ok as long as you don't sit on it

Or have a cinderblock for an ass.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #5227
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 839
I got 16 km/l yesterday over a 350 off-road loop using Vortex's economy map. I was the only bike that had severe range issues.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #5228
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
yeah - if you only do rides that you sit down on buy a tiger 800 xc
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #5229
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hi guys,

The damper does completely remove headshake on the new KTM 690 Enduro.
I went 110 mph yesterday on TKCs without any headshake. After advice from Scotts/California I adjusted some settings on the damper. It was essential to turn both Sweep control valves by 180 to the 6 o'clock position. (It is delivered and preset to 12 o'clock which damps only in a narrow angle.) At 6 o'clock the complete steering angle is damped. This made the big difference because it can compensate for the great force exerted at high speeds. Also the Highspeed valve is highly effective. I turned it 1/4 counterclockwise from the stiffest setting. This setting will remove the headshake completely.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #5230
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I got 16 km/l yesterday over a 350 off-road loop using Vortex's economy map. I was the only bike that had severe range issues.
37 mpg's with the fuel economy map? What are you getting on the power maps?
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #5231
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Noah in UK at Rally-Raid HQ

We have had the pleasure of one of ADV Rider's US inmates,Noah from Montana visiting us on an unplanned stopover on his RTW trip.He had his 690 stolen in Ireland,and after a few days he managed to get a lift on the back of a bike to Rally-Raid HQ in the UK.We actually had a US plated KTM 690 which was left by Luke Swab,aka Fishfund,from his trip last year.So we are in the process of making it up to scratch for Noah to carry on his trip with.
He has had a great deal of support from bikers here in the UK & Ireland after his unfortunate start to his European leg of his trip,but we hope we can help him on his way.
It just goes to show what a world-wide phenomena that ADV Rider is,with contacts all over the world.
Noah has been pretty busy fabricating an alloy tool tray to go in place of the airbox,as Fishfunds old KTM 690 has a Uni-Filter fitted.
It is looking pretty good now,not bad metalwork for an electrician!!
He has also added our Rear Fuel Tank & Soft Luggage Frames to complete the set-up.
He has had good news from his brother in USA,the new licence documents are on their way so he can carry on with his trip.

Follow his blog
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #5232
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
Fantastic news!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #5233
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post

He has had a great deal of support from bikers here in the UK & Ireland after his unfortunate start to his European leg of his trip,but we hope we can help him on his way.
It just goes to show what a world-wide phenomena that ADV Rider is,with contacts all over the world.
...so he can carry on with his trip.

Follow his blog
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #5234
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
TPS Gremlins

My TPS gremlins continue....
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or could point me in a direction for further diagnostics.
Issue: While riding, any gear, any speed, or bike stationary at idle, I randomly get an FI solid on light and the engine tone changes. Going to Neutral provides a 9 x long flash indicating a TPS issue.
Well, I first check all TPS related voltages via TuneECU and all were within spec. I checked all wiring for chaffing, short to frame etc and nothing. I then replaced the TPS with a new one and reset the voltages. Unfortunately same error/issue persists.
I decided to check the TPS voltages directly to see if I could find an abnormality. I used pins to back probe the TPS connector to a logging DVM. What I found was interesting. The working voltage was a steady 4.98V which is great. The sense line voltage was at 0.58V while idling normally, which is what should be expected. When the FI issue occurs the sense voltage jumps to 0.71V and stays there. The working voltage does not change. If I cycle the key or kill switch all goes back to normal.
From what I can gather is that somehow the stepper motor must be getting a signal to move the butterfly a set amount, independant of throttle position, at random times which seems the only way the sense voltage on the TPS would change a set amount and stay static.(some randon butterfly to throttle position offset) The wiring diagram does not have any info on the 8 position stepper plug pin-out for me to analyze. Are there any sensors that control this stepper (left side throttle body) or is it driven through the ECU only. I would prefer not to buy a new throttle body to see if the issue goes away or not.

Any thoughts....this just started happening about 250 miles ago. Have not done any mods/mapping for about 8k miles. Running a version of the Beaney map FWIW.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #5235
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post

Also, thinking I may replace the quick disconnect with the NAPA filter (part number?) Will the filter fit in the stock location of the disconnect?
NAPA: 3095
FRAM (Autozone): G3606
WIX: 33095

You will need 2 fuel injection hose clamps for 5/16 hose also. The filter will replace the quick connect and fit snugly between the airbox and the frame in the same location of the quick connect.