User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,358
Beers are friendly down here but perhaps my zombie gun would be a good choice?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 955

Here's my 45/70, I threw on some xs ghost rings,
xs rail with a leupold scout scope,
Limbsaver recoil pad

Awesome setup but fairly heavy to be hiking around all day, since you live in Canada I would be looking at a grizzly or dominion arms pump with an 8.5" barrel :
https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...y-shotgun-8-5/
Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
skysailor OP
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,412
What about one of them red dot sight things on a 45/70....or better (faster) with bare (bear?) iron sights?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
X2 on wierdo ,s post. Shoot with what you feel confortable with. Instant target acquisition is most important up close. It is not self defense if the bear is a hundred yards away and walking away.
Do your research on buck shot effectivness. Traditional thinking in a shot gun is slug then buck shot. I disagree. Two inches of fur and hide then one to five inchs or more of fat then there is bone , it has lost its effectiveness. No. 7 1/2 shot for warning. Save those for home use. Slugs all the way for me. Practise at the range and know your firearm and how it handles and swings.
And yes I have only shot one black bear in my tent. You have no time to think or react when bears happen.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #20
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
What about one of them red dot sight things on a 45/70....or better (faster) with bare (bear?) iron sights?
Lyle
Do you want to have to turn on the sight (red dot) before pulling the trigger?

'course you could just carry a pocket full of cr2032 batteries and leave the sight on all the time...

I'm a proponent of bear spray, but it seems pretty ineffective when the wind is blowing. Maybe carry both kinds of bear repellant: unleaded (spray) and leaded (12 guage slug)
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #21
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Lyle
That Scout scope is medium eye relief, if you've never tried one it's pretty quick for target acquisition, I also use weaver quick release rings so its very easy to go to the ghost ring sights.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
Kubla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdo View Post

Here's my 870 as short as we're allowed here in Canada. It's also a great bear stopper. As you can see its shorter than my 45-70. If you wanted to pack a gun down side webbing of a back pack, I'd go with the shorty 870. If I was going to carry a slung gun for quick response, I'd carry the 45-70. I find it easier to shoot quickly, something that I figure is important during a bear charge.
what is the barrel length on that shot gun, looks shorter than the 18 inch US minimum length (without the class 3 license)
2000 westward Go-4
1982 Bluebird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #23
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Someone, anyone...

explain the reason why alternating between buckshot and slugs is a good idea?

I've seen it recommended many, many times and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

If I need a slug why in the world would I be loading a round of buckshot in between what I need to stop the threat?

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
morerpmfred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
In Canada we are not restricted to 18 inch barrel lengths on pump action shotguns as they are in the states. My pump action shottie looks the same and it has a 14 1/2 barrel length as it was manufactured that way. It is legal for hunting as well.
morerpmfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #25
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,649
We did a trip out to York Factory from Lake Winnipeg. The bears you are dealing with out there are polar bears. There are a whole bunch of things you can do too try and deter a polar bear, but it pretty much it came down to a 12 ga with slugs. Even at that you are probably just going to convince it you are not worth the effort, hopefully.....
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #26
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by morerpmfred View Post
In Canada we are not restricted to 18 inch barrel lengths on pump action shotguns as they are in the states. My pump action shottie looks the same and it has a 14 1/2 barrel length as it was manufactured that way. It is legal for hunting as well.
Yeah one good thing about our gun laws:

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,821
Here's another thought. While I agree with the suggestions in both the guide gun and the shotgun as being effective close range bear stoppers, the OP did state that he did not hunt. so, with that bit of info, I would highly recommend the 12ga. simply because of the overall versitility. With the proper loads, It can double duty as a home defense gun. Also, as a hiker, there are 12ga. flares that may be carried into remote areas for emergency signaling. I think a good defensive pump 12 could be found on the used market for less $$. A pump gun can be put into action faster and repeatedly cycled faster without losing your sight plane or changing your hold on the gun which is much easier for a novice to pick up on . There is a difference between a good hunting gun and a good defense type gun, and I think the OP is really needing something leaning more toward the defensive end.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Here's another thought. While I agree with the suggestions in both the guide gun and the shotgun as being effective close range bear stoppers, the OP did state that he did not hunt. so, with that bit of info, I would highly recommend the 12ga. simply because of the overall versitility. With the proper loads, It can double duty as a home defense gun. Also, as a hiker, there are 12ga. flares that may be carried into remote areas for emergency signaling. I think a good defensive pump 12 could be found on the used market for less $$. A pump gun can be put into action faster and repeatedly cycled faster without losing your sight plane or changing your hold on the gun which is much easier for a novice to pick up on . There is a difference between a good hunting gun and a good defense type gun, and I think the OP is really needing something leaning more toward the defensive end.

+1

-- A short as legal 12 gauge. For AK consider one like the "Marine Coat" ones. Or have it sprayed with a weatherproof coating. Put a big dot site on the front and you are good to go for not much $$.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Do you want to have to turn on the sight (red dot) before pulling the trigger?

)

For some of the new uber expensive aimpoints the battery life is years-- on.

I want one, but just can't wrap my head around the price.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,821
Barrel length.

In the time it took me to type that last long winded opinion, a couple of other posts came in. Concerning barrel length, just a little fun fact here. It takes about 20" of barrel to completely burn the average powder charge and thereby, provide for max velocity. In our discussion here, I think velocity would be a very high concern and would want as much as I could get.

Polar bears around Lake Winnipeg?? Really???
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: