Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
RMRichar OP
Quidditch Captain

Oddometer: 24
Easiest motionX Route Solution?

I've read various tutorials about using online programs to create a route and then have motionX follow that track. It seems to me there are often extra steps so I tried to streamline it to be way more simple.

First, I'm using this website that plots the entire route, along roads, via your way points (and has a slew of other handy options too):

http://map.netkvik.dk/

I haven't seen anyone suggest that site here but it does a hell of a job - easy, quick, and all the overlays are there for reference. The one limiting factor is that it cannot exceed a maximum of 25 way points. Once complete, this exports a .kml file. To have motionX read it, convert to .gpx with:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

Then use itunes - iphone - motionX - add file. Or email it to myself. MotionX can track the file and all associated information. Along with pre-loading all the topography/road map data, the phone is now an independent GPS device on airplane mode!

I go to the tracks section and set it to follow the track. Brilliant for $1

Any suggestions to this process? Is there a more elegant way of doing this or more parallel type applications doing the same thing? Am I forgetting one cardinal rule of gps planning? My paper maps are the primary source for navigation. Thanks for any advice.
RMRichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Not sure what your asking but I use motionX pretty much the same way. I usually set up a route on Google maps and convert it to .gpx with GPSVisualizer, and then upload it like any other gpx file using their email system. Easy Peasy.

MotionX is no stand alone GPS, but it's a great backup.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Not sure what your asking but I use motionX pretty much the same way. I usually set up a route on Google maps and convert it to .gpx with GPSVisualizer, and then upload it like any other gpx file using their email system. Easy Peasy.

This. Since I'll have either the garmin or Delorme with me I download the satellite hybrid maps of the route I'll be on for backup. Really the greatest app for a $1
Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
RMRichar OP
Quidditch Captain

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post

It seems so straightforward... there should be a catch somewhere. So it works as a standalone GPS provided the iphone itself doesn't croak. Setting motionX to track the route is essentially a turn by turn solution. Since no one had recommended the Danish website I wonder if I'm doing things the hard way. So I'm ready to roll? Guess so.
RMRichar is offline   Reply With Quote