ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #151
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
The trip to Lightning ridge made me feel like i had enough of the desert and the desert needed to get back to the east ... I'm finally on the straight back to the ocean.









The last night of camping before i hit the coast.... I was tired, it was raining and i was running outta light, with nowhere to stop i pulled into a property and hid in between a ridge and bushes for the night.....




A full days ride with very very windy roads and a massive storm ahead i thought i should try n get some new tyres... it wasnt that easy to find.



Fresh rubber



Glen Innes





MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #152
Motojon76
Dirty side down
 
Motojon76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Central Flatistan
Oddometer: 47
Awesome. Can't wait till you get south of the (U.S.) border.
__________________
The DR650 SE is as majestic as a bald eagle getting a hand job from Lady Liberty Herself.
Motojon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #153
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer
 
conchscooter's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Florida Keys
Oddometer: 1,728
I loved this road report. The countryside was so so but the ride! I miss my SR500 and I loved touring with that single, which was so easy to ride. When I was a kid I toured on caff racers with clip ons and aftermarket saddlebags so I was snickering at naysayers who told you it was impossible. Very well done. Great pictures.
__________________
http://www.keywestdiary.us

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #154
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
Im going going back to back to Cali Cali...

So its been 3 months and im finally going back to Cali to finish off what i started a year ago...

(Thats If i can get my bike to start!?)
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #155
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,307
Looking forward to the continuation of the story.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #156
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
So its been 3 months and im finally going back to Cali to finish off what i started a year ago...

(Thats If i can get my bike to start!?)
i'm in reno until end of Sept. What's your timeline to hit TJ?
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #157
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
i'm in reno until end of Sept. What's your timeline to hit TJ?
Hey Jeremy!

TJ ETA end of September probably.

Im still in Australia things didnt quite go to plan as usual, i didnt end up flying to Vancouver and i wasn't able to sell my bikes here either.. Sydneysiders are just plain SOft - fair-weather riders. Trying to sell in the winter was a disappointing FAIL :(

Even though my budget has been cut, i just cant postpone this trip any longer, my whole life has been put on hold the past year for this... i'll just have to make do with the money I've got and regretfully limit my tequila shots .

I managed to scrape up enough work and savings to at least guarantee a central american new year and some..
I fly on the 3rd September to LA.
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #158
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,494
cool, when you get a date let me know. Make it a weekend and I'll fly home and ride with you for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
Hey Jeremy!

TJ ETA end of September probably.

Im still in Australia things didnt quite go to plan as usual, i didnt end up flying to Vancouver and i wasn't able to sell my bikes here either.. Sydneysiders are just plain SOft - fair-weather riders. Trying to sell in the winter was a disappointing FAIL :(

Even though my budget has been cut, i just cant postpone this trip any longer, my whole life has been put on hold the past year for this... i'll just have to make do with the money I've got and regretfully limit my tequila shots .

I managed to scrape up enough work and savings to at least guarantee a central american new year and some..
I fly on the 3rd September to LA.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #159
Knute Dunrvnyet
marooned in realtime
 
Knute Dunrvnyet's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: CNY: "Traveler's Rest"
Oddometer: 1,878
connections

Who, what or wherever that XL660 build ends up:
DO NOT refinish that old headlight shell!
__________________
"I used to be an adventurer like you; then I took an arrow to the heart."
[advwhiner since 1973]]
"Ride Hard, You can Rest when you Die."- Emmett Watkins, #245, 1958-2005

Knute Dunrvnyet screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 12:57 PM
Knute Dunrvnyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #160
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute Dunrvnyet View Post
Who, what or wherever that XL660 build ends up:
DO NOT refinish that old headlight shell!
Nice...Dont worry that headlight is perfect.
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #161
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
So after a 2hr interrogation and a thorough bag search at LAX immigration, they eventually let me in..

I havent seen the XL yet but I had a look at the pile of parts and luggage i left behind 3 months ago....hmm i really need to find myself a good pannier luggage system to work out how much of it i can carry..
I figured it might be worth shelling out the cash if i find something that comes off and on easily, lightweight, and fixable after i have my first crash in Baja sand.
i still havent had any luck for a good option that will fit, i had briefly checked out the Happy trails and pelican setup but it doesnt look like it fits the XL frame
I will do some mor research tomorrow after i get over the jet lag.

MagneticSouth screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 11:07 PM
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #162
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ford_Prefect's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Afghanistan... Lovely place minus the heat & dust!
Oddometer: 280
I have read a lot of guys who really prefer the SOFT bags for that concern. Have you thought about just going with some wolfman bags? They are strong and water tight. Also you could think of doing this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post

He put all of the footman loops on to give him multiple tie downs, without adding much weight to the bike at all. He says it works out really very well for him and he can pack a lot of crap on that bike.

Just a thought for you to ponder.
__________________
"Do you know what a soldier is...? He's the chap who makes it possible for civilized folk to despise war."
-Allan Massie

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #163
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
I have read a lot of guys who really prefer the SOFT bags for that concern. Have you thought about just going with some wolfman bags? They are strong and water tight. Also you could think of doing this...


He put all of the footman loops on to give him multiple tie downs, without adding much weight to the bike at all. He says it works out really very well for him and he can pack a lot of crap on that bike.

Just a thought for you to ponder.
Thanks i really like the wolfman side panniers

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html

and the extra fuel storage because i have the original small tank

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...untSystem.html

but I'm still considering the happy trails system with hard aluminium boxes because of the locking option
i spent a year backpacking south america and i know how quick some peoples hands can be.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/..._HTP3-6-1.aspx

caribou boxes are also an option

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102759

maybe i might try to have the soft panniers as sides and a hard box on top?

Im hoping i can find someone to help fit the frame which is available for the XR650L im not familiar with the differences of frame from the XL600R.
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #164
MagneticSouth OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Down Under
Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knute Dunrvnyet View Post
Who, what or wherever that XL660 build ends up:
DO NOT refinish that old headlight shell!
Hey Kenute, can you tell me how you reduced the size of pics, i havent been able to work that out from the start..
MagneticSouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #165
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneticSouth View Post
Thanks i really like the wolfman side panniers

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html

and the extra fuel storage because i have the original small tank

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...untSystem.html

but I'm still considering the happy trails system with hard aluminium boxes because of the locking option
i spent a year backpacking south america and i know how quick some peoples hands can be.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/..._HTP3-6-1.aspx

caribou boxes are also an option

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102759

maybe i might try to have the soft panniers as sides and a hard box on top?

Im hoping i can find someone to help fit the frame which is available for the XR650L im not familiar with the differences of frame from the XL600R.
I have a set of side bags that you can have. I keep saving them for something, but I never use them. No Pics, and I don't know if i'll be home when you roll through, but the offer is there.
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014