Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
RobbieAG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
If the engineers at Honda can get an XR650L through emissions, this should be a piece of cake. Not to mention all the air cooled BMW's, Harleys Triumphs, Guzzis etc.......
You're probably right, though there will be fewer and fewer air cooled bikes going forward as standards get stricter. If they axe the CB1000R and price this significantly below that, I could see it doing pretty well.
RobbieAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieAG View Post
You're probably right
No. He's definitely right.

No one holds a candle to Honda when it comes to powertrain engineering. Emissions testing worry with Honda is like asking Evel Kneivel if he can drive a 6 speed.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
Ummm. There were also reports of them showing the bikes here with positive results 2 years ago.
True. But the article in Motorcyclist says, and I quote: "American Honda officials were spotted at the recent Motorcycle Sport Touring Association's STAR 2012 gathering in Avon, CO, in late June with a pre-production CB1100 in tow, soliciting comments from prospective buyers. Reaction was reportedly positive."

Now why would they have a bike on hand if they're not planning on selling the bike?
DOUBLE-O G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Now why would they have a bike on hand if they're not planning on selling the bike?

Get a feel for the public's reaction. There have been lots and lots of bikes that have come here to vet their market viability and have never made it past that process.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
True. But the article in Motorcyclist says, and I quote: "American Honda officials were spotted at the recent Motorcycle Sport Touring Association's STAR 2012 gathering in Avon, CO, in late June with a pre-production CB1100 in tow, soliciting comments from prospective buyers. Reaction was reportedly positive."

They did it back in what, 2009 or 10 when it was first introduced also. They had at least one CB1100 in California and I remember one of the motorcycle magazines had a litte writeup on it. They were gauging reactions but for whatever reason they felt it wasn't the right time back then. This might even be the same bike.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I can't imagine this bike not selling. Triumph is selling scads of those underpowered, over-styled twins. This bike is tight. Make mine the red one with a silver engine...! ,BK
Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:

I was asking myself that 2 years ago.

Pre-production? It's been in production for 2 years. Print the warning labels in English, put on a MPH odometer, and call it good.

Damn you Honda if you hadn't already sold me an NC700X when I had the cash in hand to buy this last year.

Maytag Repairman screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 04:44 PM
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #23
smack doogle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

I'd buy this one,

but the one you guys are talking about does zero for me.
Yep! That'll be the first bike I every buy new. My wife doesn't have to worry about me dropping the money for it cause Honda will never build it and if they somehow do, it'll never come to the US.
smack doogle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,287
It'll sell if the price is right. Under $9.5k would work, any more and it'll gather dust on the show room floor.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
I think I'll stick with my 919.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #26
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
It'll sell if the price is right. Under $9.5k would work, any more and it'll gather dust on the show room floor.

Regards, Paul
$9,999.00? Symbolically under 10 grand...
DOUBLE-O G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #27
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
I really like this bike, it looks great and I like the classic looks a great deal. That said, it doesn't excite me enough to drop 10k on it, I'd be a bottom feeder hoping to pick up a 3-4yr old used one dirt cheap.

Given the specs, it'd have to be one of those bikes that just worked fantastically well to sell in any viable quantity at all. Being a Honda it very well have what it takes though.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #28
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbutslow View Post
I can't imagine this bike not selling.
They've been selling them in Australia since they were released in Japan and they haven't sold very well, despite the huge market for 'retro' stuff here. You can hardly spit without hitting a Bonneville or Sportster and the Kawsaki W800 has sold in hundreds. (I own a W800 - brilliant bike - and an 07 XL Sportster myself.) The 1100 is around $AUS14K on the road - about the same as the entry-level Sportster, $1K more than the base model Bonneville and about $2K more than a W800.

Having owned about half a dozen CB750s over the years I was very interested in the 1100 until I chucked a leg over one. It is pretty enough in its way, but up close it is physically small, the seat is nasty, the riding position for both rider and pillion is nothing like a CB750, being more like a Suzuki Bandit, and the tank only holds about 3.5 US gallons. The single exhaust doesn't do much for its looks on the left side either. I'm a big fan of old bikes having started riding in the 60's, but this one just hasn't done anything for me at all, mainly because the ergos are standard modern stuff; not a good pillion bike. A mate had one and was very disappointed with it - the motor was OK but the rest of it - ergos, handling, fuel range, general build quality etc - was a big letdown. He has done ground up rebuilds on several K1 and K2 CB750s and owns a good selection of 'classic' Honda 4s in various models so he has had enough experience with the originals.

If you want to see some more pics, here's a link for the model on an Australian bike sales site.

CB1100F
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #29
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytag Repairman View Post
Print the warning labels in English, put on a MPH odometer, and call it good.

Do you really think it is that simple?

Hell, they can just throw a few in a box, put it on a boat, and see what happens. That might be OK for a small manufacturer, do you think that is a workable solution for the goliath Honda?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
Do you really think it is that simple?

Hell, they can just throw a few in a box, put it on a boat, and see what happens. That might be OK for a small manufacturer, do you think that is a workable solution for the goliath Honda?
Fireblade/CBR is the same bike but with US appointments. That seems to work.