Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #1051
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
.. lol Hawk .. you should join us at the What-the-hala Ride coming up in the Natahala area of North Carolina .. the Saturday Ride is lots of gravel roads and twisty mountain (paved) roads ..

.. you might want to skip the Friday ride .. it's a bunch more off-road oriented (meaning you really need a dirt bike or some skillz with a big pig thumper to go where they go) .. though there will be a group of pigs riding around too ..

.. my first trip out there was about six weeks after I bought my KLR last May .. I learned a TON about my bike and got some great experience and advice from the other riders ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #1052
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Thanks , I bet I would learn a good bit . Thats a bit of a haul for me on my super sherpa though , even on the truck thats a good 5-6 hour ride . Yesterday I rode some ATV /horse trails then did a loop around the block , about 35 miles or so . The offroad /dirt riding skills do come in handy on the pavement . I was about home making a right turn onto another road and the engine died when clutched it to down shift so in mid turn I eased off the clutch to bump start it and the back end broke loose pretty hard , I hit the clutch again and then tried again this time with the bike a bit straighter and out of the fluff in the turn , it came around again , clutched it and tried again this time contact ,back running. If that would of happened to me last week before I started running offroad I think I would have panicked .

When I got home I upped my idle a hair , I rejetted it last week so I must not have gotten the idle rpm on the money .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #1053
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Good job keeping the bike under control.

Just wondering.....why bump starting it instead of pulling in the clutch and hitting the started button?

Jon...
Old 08-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #1054
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Thanks .

Just a habit I guess from driving jeep and old farm trucks , rolling down a narrow va back road on a 77 c70 grossed out at 33,000 lbs its better to make the turn chunk it into gear and roll start it so you dont have to fumble with the key .
Old 08-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #1055
nicola_a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
Could you help my research by answering the following question...”What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?”
Only ride a bike you are capable of handling. Sometimes just because it's L-plate approved (I'm in Aus, might be different elsewhere) doesn't mean you can just jump on and go.
nicola_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #1056
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Thanks .

Just a habit I guess from driving jeep and old farm trucks , rolling down a narrow va back road on a 77 c70 grossed out at 33,000 lbs its better to make the turn chunk it into gear and roll start it so you don't have to fumble with the key .
That makes total sense.

Thanks,

Jon...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #1057
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 166
Wisdom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
Could you help my research by answering the following question...”What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?”

Thanks. Mark Tillack
Brinkhaven, OH(USA)
Being very much a n00b, any of the following would have helped...

• Don't go getting in a hurry! Mentally, you're torching tires; trouble is, you ain't rolled three feet yet.
  • If you goof, most other drivers will understand an honest mistake. Recognize the test you failed, learn the lesson, and move on with grace.
  • You've got that familiar lump of keys in your pocket, but it don't matter. The key that makes it go zoom! is still in the bike. (only done this a hundred and sixty one times.)
  • That MSF card qualifies you to ride in a parking lot, not on the road. Fill the tank, take a day and fart around the neighborhood to find out what the world really looks like on two wheels. You'll be surprised what you were not taught.
  • You'll have rare moments of stark terror. Make sure you think through them. Panic, after all, is the response of the unprepared.
  • Try to keep your first motorcycle to 50-odd hp or less. Screwing up is easy enough; more power just makes the bike harder to learn and easier to break.
  • Counter-steering sounds like witchcraft, feels like driving backwards, and really does work. Hit a straight road and practice it at the wee hours of the morn.
  • Gas money lives as small bills in a jacket pocket (easy access, no fumbling with the wallet) your gear stays on while fueling, and place the gas cap in a strategic position. Lest you bump said hardware and then accidentally punt it across the filling yard. With your key.
  • Don't drop the bike to drive your bluetooth/ipod/GPS.
  • Inform people who make "asshole biker!" and "stupid crotch-rocket!" comments of the difference between riders, Pirates, and SQUIDs. They might even thank you for it.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #1058
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

More from a noob to a noob

If say you are wearing a jacket , such as a mil surplus german gortex jacket , zip it up before hitting the road . The damn thing about yanked me off the bike when the wind caught it running a little over 50 .
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #1059
superslomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I started this thing comparatively late (in my 30's), and the only time I've been down was on dirt, and it sucked pretty hard. No major damage to me (bruising, minor strain) and some to the bike.

I would say if you can become a good dirt rider you'll learn more about being a good rider generally. You will, probably, possibly, maybe fall a heck of a lot sooner learning on dirt, and you should hope you don't bust something. At 30/40/50 your ability to withstand getting thrown into a pile of rocks at even 10 mph is less robust than when you are 12, and you'll be on a more substantial bike to boot.

If you aren't scared about biffing a few times, I can see dirt being a good training ground: the advantage is that you have to deal with more challenges, but when you screw up at least there won't be a semi there to run you over.

That said, the practice of riding on the street will make it less likely that you wreck repeatedly, so there's that as an upside.

To the person above who said that this is safe stuff, it's important to acknowledge that we can make it safER, but I know for a fact when I got out on the road that I'm taking a greater risk to life and limb than I would getting in the car. I do my best to be judicious, so I can make it home to my wife and kid, but you can't guarantee anything in life... a minor car accident would probably be a major motorcycle accident, in terms of injuries. It is what it is...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #1060
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
The only indication that dirt riding makes for better street riding is in the broken minds of those whose broken bodies are veterans of dirt riding while kids.

I'll repeat - there is NO skill for street riding you learn on the dirt. None. Street riding is about lane placement, traffic reading and so forth. Dirt riding is about "if you ain't falling, you ain't learning".

Consider yourself lucky that your dirt riding experience didn't cripple you.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #1061
superslomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Probably didn't help that I was just trying to keep up on a V-Strom while linking together two bits of pavement with a forest road that got a bit nastier than I had planned. I've come to believe I'm allergic to dirt: my bike breaks out in a pretty terrible rash.

Adv-touring bikes are really mostly too darned big to do any meaningful "learn how to ride dirt" activities, unless you have arms of steel and a decent budget for replacement parts.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #1062
slide
A nation in despair

You see these experts like Jimmy Lewis working a GS on serious dirt and think it can be done. Yeah, by him but guys like him have a skill level so much higher than even good riders that what he does has nothing to do with what we can do.

Keep the tires on pavement; keep the shiny side up and live to experience an old age uncrippled.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #1063
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
I'll repeat - there is NO skill for street riding you learn on the dirt. None.

You can parrot your bullshit all you want it will never make it true.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #1064
slide
A nation in despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
:

:

You can parrot your bullshit all you want it will never make it true.
You can keep trying to get older riders on the dirt to cripple them, but don't expect we who know what you are doing to stand by an let you.

You are a loudmouthed idiotic liar with evil intent here. GFY.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #1065
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
You can keep trying to get older riders on the dirt to cripple them, but don't expect we who know what you are doing to stand by an let you.

You are a loudmouthed idiotic liar with evil intent here. GFY.

You are an illiterate Buffoon that knows not of which he speaks.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 12:05 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote