Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #316
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Epic Trip! Thanks buddy for taking us along!
Old 08-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #317
ybarakos
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dear Dave and Helen your trip was amazing with fantastik fotos. I wish you to do such trips every year and make us travel with you in so beautiful places!!!!!!
ybarakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #318
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Gee Dave - Glad to see you on the road again. Somehow I missed this, but should get caught up soon enough. I'll fly to PHX tomorrow to pick up my Yam 250 in Cave Creek. I made some tracks through the Staircase Escalante I hope will be passable, but I won't know till I get to Page. I think the route is called Smokey Mountain or something like that. I'll end up at Echo Park in CO where I meet up with a friend from CA. Then it's the Pony Express route to Nevada.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #319
prooney377
Pete Rooney

Oddometer: 46
Thumb From another KTM rider in Liverpool, England

Just spent three days reading your RR. Hate to sound the same as everybody else, but WOW, amazing pictures and videos. Thanks for taking the time to post them.
prooney377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #320
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
thanks

First of all, Dave, most excellent RR, you definitely upped the bar! There are probably half a dozen pictures that would be good candidates for the front page. Thank you for taking the time to put it all together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
The reason? The damned sidestand is too long. It's not a problem without luggage, but when this loaded I have to seek out areas sloping down to the left in order to park.

BAM! GUSH! GUSH! Never-ending GUSH! Fuel was gushing out at an alarming and expensive rate from both tanks. My helmet slashed through the torrent of fuel, bounced across the parking lot, and rolled under a minivan getting lodged between the undercarriage and the pavement.
Ouch, sorry. My KLR was the same way. I did not have time to get it shortened before my trip.

On the way up to AK in '10, in the pan handle, first day of the trip no less, I stopped to take some pictures of a train. When I was walking back to the bike, a gust of wind, and I see, in slow motion, the bike fall to the right. eck ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthetrail View Post
Goddamn that's a lot of miles you guys are putting on each day. I don't know how you do it but it's impressive.
Also impressive are the photos! Really enjoying the ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin_the_13th View Post
And by the way, having seen so much in so little time - as with on your other rides - did you ever get the feeling of exhaustion, of "too much"?
If so, how do you deal with it?
This has been a topic of discussion I've had over the years. I do not have a lot of time to get out there and see the world. And to me, running down an empty road at 60-80 mph is relaxing and restful.

It is those times where you are bumper to fairing, like that last time I went through Yellowstone that get to me. If all is well, racking up the miles, at least for me, is not at all stressful.

On my trip, I did about 9800 miles in 15 days, or about 650 miles per day. With little regret, about the only regret was not at least trying the Dalton, had heard many reports of really bad conditions, and not giving up on keeping up with another couple of riders and enjoying Kluanne lake.

For me, hotels and restaurants are necessities, not to be time soaks. If I want to relax in one, I do that with the family, not when I am on a bike trip :-)
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #321
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
This view of the map show the GPS tracks for each day in a different color. The overlapping routes may be a little confusing.

This is the Google Earth view of the GPS tracks. The route was a little over 10,000 miles.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #322
Skitch
Riding the range

Oddometer: 1,493
Bravo.
IBA #21269
-- Golf is for the dead.
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #323
rhlrdr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Wow, that is great Dave. I think those tracks are pretty cool.

Keep up the great work.
rhlrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #324
spuriousgrowth
n00b

Oddometer: 2
This is really a great ride report. I'm heading up to Jasper from Oakland, CA starting next Saturday. Once the holiday weekend rush is over, I'm thinking that things might get a little quiet out there, or hoping so anyway. After seeing your photos, I'm really looking forward to seeing the icefield parkway, and have reconsidered, and now think I'll check out the Going to the Sun.

Again, great report!

S.G.
spuriousgrowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #325
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Great ride report, from finish til end! Very well done. Thanks for taking the time to post it all. I know how much of a pain it can be to get it all together.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #326
GtiKyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Bravo, thanks for sharing. This trip looked absolutely epic. You told it so well, and coming from a photography nut, your images are stunning. It's got all the elements!

I showed this to my wife, and she read it front to back. I think it might have been the final tipping point for the green light to buy my brand new bike So a big THANK YOU.

Keep it up!
GtiKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #327
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 657
Dave,
I'm Speechless! What an awesome ride report.
The pictures, the comentary, the video, all top shelf! My Alaska trip is scheduled for next June, riding some of the same roads that you were on. I feel like I've been there already through your RR.
Thanks for an entertaining write up!
Ride safe!
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #328
straightenarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
fantastic

I've only been here awhile, but have followed a dozen or so reports... this by far is my favorite. I spent a few years in Alaska flying around doing aerial survey, and this is one of the best representations I have seen in photos! Unreal, where can I get some tips to make my photos this great! haha!!! awesome!
straightenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #329
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,314
Amazing trip guys. Thanks for letting us ride along.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #330
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Thumb Thank You All!

Thanks to everyone that participated and to those that just followed along.

You guys have warmed up the SmugMug servers with nearly a million views of my photos in the past month!

This photo seems to be a favorite of some and captured one of the highlights of our journey.
Although you guys seemed to like it, I wasn't completely satisfied with how it turned out.
Just for you guys, here is a re-do, this time without HDR.