Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #76
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Did you still ended up with less fuel than the stocker?

I typed that wrong.I corrected it in my quote.It only takes one flubbed up word to make a mess of things.Sorry bout that.

The tank looks more street and def more smooth.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #77
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
Cut the bottom of the tank up a little higher and tacked the new lower/inner steel templates into place. Still have to cut the outside of the tank back further, so I can round-out the corners. Think it'll help get rid of that droopy dog look.

jesusgatos screwed with this post 08-02-2012 at 06:19 PM
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #78
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Dude, this proyect is great! Can't wait to see the outcome...

Old 07-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #79
ScF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post

Found out that the manual decompression lever on the XR600's is something that I need to make clearance for. The mounts are different too, and haven't decided whether or not to incorporate both mounts into this tank.

Checking out your work on your XR and you are doing great! Lots of thought and hard work showing some results. Looking through your photos I noticed a couple of things. First of all on the decompressor bracket you can easily cut and flip over the end of the arm so that it is closer to the head by about 1/2". Same with the bracket that holds the cable, cut 1/2" off of it and reweld it so that it is closer to the head.

The other thing that you mentioned was the coil.

It doesn't look like it is that close but if you need the clearance you can remake the coil wire so that it looks like this:

and mounts directly on the spark plug instead of on the frame under the tank. If you have one of the plug caps that has a 90 top on it you can do the same thing and have the coil on the side of the plug cap rather than on top. The small coil is really light and shouldn't give you any problems but if you want to you could make a small bracket to hold it above the plug. This will give you more room under the tank.

Keep up the hard work and look forward to seeing the finished job!

Swiss

One other thing, where are you going to put your petcocks with that much droop in the front of the tank?

ScF screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 12:01 PM Reason: Added question
ScF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #80
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Thanks for posting ScF.

If I was just building a couple of custom bikes, I'd do exactly what you suggest (modify the decomp lever & bracket), but if we're going to roto-mold these tanks, makes more sense to make the tank fit the bike than to have to modify the bike any more than necessary in order to fit the tank.

That's a good idea for the coil too, but it actually fits on one side of the frame about as well as it did on the other. But if I move it out of that area altogether, would have a lot more room to mount the steering stabilizer. How would I go about shortening the spark plug wire?

Thinking that we're going to run one petcock in the stock-ish location, and then run internal pickups to both sides of the tank, so one side will be the primary, and one side will be the reserve.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #81
ScF
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Shortening the spark plug wire is pretty easy especially if you use the aftermarket plug cap like is shown in the photo. It comes with a small brass connector that both clips on the end of the plug and you "pinch" it on the cut down stub of the coil wire outer sheath. The coil wire has a center conductor that you is soft and you will need to use a razor blade or an Xacto knife to cut around the outer sheath, stripping it from the inner wire. You can practice this on the long end of the coil wire before you start doing it on the short stub that you are going to use sticking out from the ignition coil.

The decompression lever mod is up to you as are any of these suggestions. You made the comment about clearance and I gave you a way to fix it. If you want to do it on your own bike or suggest it to someone using your kit on their bike, they can do the same thing. Two 1/2" long welds and it is moved over about 1/2' for added clearance and still fully functional and out of sight. You could probably just bend the lever arm towards the engine and get most of the clearance, then cut/weld the cable bracket to match it.

With the dip in your tank, the carb will not pull the fuel from the deep front end of the tank. Unless you are going to ride a wheelie constantly, there will be a fair amount of fuel in the front of the tank that is not usable. There is simply not enough vacuum pull through the carb to act as a fuel pump and raise that fuel up to the petcock and then to the carb. The normal fuel system on your bike is a Gravity fed system and gravity won't work uphill! You CAN use one of the small Mikuni vacuum pumps that are available from Sudco and other carb vendors. Using a vacuum line that you insert into your intake manifold it will pump/suction fuel from the low sections of your tank up to the petcock, through the Mikuni pump and then to your carb. They are about 2" square and maybe 3/4" thick and fairly lightweight aluminum.

If this was an FI system then you would already have a fuel pump and it wouldn't matter.

Some more ideas for you to work on.

Swiss
ScF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #82
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

So it's just like putting together custom spark plug wires for any other engine. OK, good to know.

This tank doesn't hang down any further than any of the other aftermarket tanks for these bikes, and I know some of those do trap unusable amounts of fuel, but I'm going to add pickups and then the engine will suck-up as much as it can and I'm not going to worry about any last little bit that might be left over. The float bowl is still several inches below the height of the lowest part of the tank, so hoping that it won't be much of a problem.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #83
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Have been spending most of my time helping my brothers get ready to launch GatosBros, but snuck out to the garage for a few hours this afternoon.

Started by stabilizing the new inner steel templates. Set the tank on the mock-up frame to check symmetry, then shimmed the gaps and then filled with bondo in sections. Was able to get it pretty darn close.

These pics show the difference lines of the old vs. new inner steel templates. Also shown is the interference with the manual decompression lever on the XR600.

Cutting-back the old steel templates and carving-out the foam. Went a bit deeper than I needed to, just so I could build the bondo up a little thicker.

This is what it looks like right now, after building-up and sanding a few layers of bondo that follow the contour lines of the new steel templates.

Kinda hard to tell what changed unless you look at an older picture right next to it. See how it's a little bit softer, more continuous curve along the front edges of the tank now, where before it had that awkward, abrupt angle. Think it's going to look a lot better like this.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #84
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Quote:

What are the tire sizes? They're fat enough to add a little "modern" to the old school scrambler theme without going supermoto.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #85
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Those are 18" wheels. 3.5 in the rear and 2.15 up front. Have been running a 19/17 (2.5 & 4.25) setup on my KTM, and I really like that too. Tires are just whatever. Will probably end up running something like TKC80's or Michelin T63's or Mitas E09's or Michelin T63's or something along those lines.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #86
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Thanks

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #87
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Jesus!!!! that's looking good!

What about all those handles on the KTM??
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #88
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter2811 View Post
What about all those handles on the KTM??
We've been using 1" footman loops and Voile straps to lash our gear down. We got the idea from these guys. Cheap, simple, super-modular and very secure. Yeah they look a little bit funny, but we've used them to haul ridiculous loads and they flat-out work. Usually camping gear, but Robo-Boogie rode his 450EXC from Chico all the way out to Virginia City on SM wheels with his dirt wheels and riding gear strapped to the back fender with Voile straps. Got to the race, swapped out his dirt wheels, unpacked his riding gear, raced, packed up and swapped wheels again, cruised through Tahoe to say Hi to our grandparents, and then rode all the way back to Chico. Think that's probably over a 400 mile round-trip, not counting the race. Voile straps rock, and I prefer using footman loops to cutting holes in plastic, but we've been working on a better solution...

Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #89
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Box full of carburetors showed-up today. Thanks Mike!

Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #90
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Box full of carburetors showed-up today. Thanks Mike!
Damn! That's gonna make your bike really fast.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote