Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #1066
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

You can parrot your bullshit all you want it will never make it true.
it's like he goes into hiding for awhile. then waits until he thinks no one is paying attention and comes back to mislead newbies like the pied piper or something.

slide, if you don't want to ride dirt, don't. but, stop trying to mislead others. given the number of people way over 40 who ride dirt and do not end up in the hospital...including many who started after age 30 or even 40...you are obviously wrong about people over 30 or 40 being able to learn to ride in dirt. (no one should learn to ride in dirt on a GS, though. learn on a dirt bike or *lightweight* dual sport. duh.)

btw, have you ever lost traction while riding on the street? how did you handle it? how did you learn how to handle it before it actually happened on the street?

LittleRedToyota screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 01:21 PM
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #1067
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
it's like he goes into hiding for awhile. then waits until he thinks no one is paying attention and comes back to mislead newbies like the pied piper or something.

All I can think of is he must be horribly uncoordinated or terribly klutzy to be so against riding off pavement the way he is.

Then to insinuate that I would directly or indirectly wish someone harm is just so off the hook it is beyond understanding. I am the most adamant safety Nazi I know of.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #1068
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
I'm concerned for the terrible advice you give the over 30 newbie. You two are poison and full of gleeful malice as you give out, using your authoritative voices, advice which will cripple these newcomers to our sport.

I only wish to see that the guy who starts riding at 30, lives to his natural age and enjoys the ride all the way there.

So I'm unlike the two of you who, giggling as you go, laugh at the results of your advice as written in Face Plant.

I gotta admit, though, that the Little Red Toyota (yeah, I get it - Toyota is code for penis) is only malicious in this one area. The other scumbag is in all things.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #1069
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,514
it is very beneficial to ride a street bike on smoother grass or 1 inch deep or less gravel. You feel the bike moving under you, learn to relax and let it. Yet it is not challenging enough to make a crash likely. Then on the street when you encounter road construction, or gravel or sand in the corners, you do not freak, grab tight and crash. You relax, let the bike have its way a bit and steer out of it. Now 2 track or single track is not a good idea when you are older. I have been lost bad, rode hard arkansas 2 track on my RS, I did not fall, and like all adventures, it was more fun after it was over than during it. It can be done, and it should be avoided. I do not want to try that again.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #1070
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Tell me, what is it like being such an idiot?

Telling people it is safer to learn to ride on road is far more malicious than anything I have ever done spanky. The fact that you believe your misguided bullshit is beyond understanding.

You are a fool of the first order incapable of giving sage advice to a corpse.

This is where we disagree.... I believe he is quite capable of giving advice to a corpse... That is one corpse to another...
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #1071
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
It's one thing for a kid who is 12 to learn on dirt (good). It's another for an adult (bad).
Jeebus, there's a difference between "adult" and "elderly".

I'm pushing 40 and just got into riding dirt this year. Have fallen off my share of times (albeit not at high speeds) and miraculously my body hasn't fallen apart or broken yet. I say dirt is softer than pavement; YMMV.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #1072
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre View Post
Jeebus, there's a difference between "adult" and "elderly".

I'm pushing 40 and just got into riding dirt this year. Have fallen off my share of times (albeit not at high speeds) and miraculously my body hasn't fallen apart or broken yet. I say dirt is softer than pavement; YMMV.
Spot on.... "stupid is as stupid does"..... let the games begin........................
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #1073
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Some mod should peel off all of this "you can only learn to ride well on dirt/no, you can't" bullshit and drop it in HE. It gets old fast.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #1074
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Yep time for some mods to shut that crap down .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #1075
Ahboon
Re-Cycled

Oddometer: 15
Avoiding undesirable cross-road meetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
I'm doing some research on what would be more helpful to know at a person’s start in motorcycling versus learning it over years in the "school of hard knocks".

Things like..."Don't transport a bike on the centerstand. It might break the frame". or "Standing up on the pegs or at least putting more pressure on them makes the bike less top heavy and better to control at low speed".

Could you help my research by answering the following question...”What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?”

Thanks. Mark Tillack
Brinkhaven, OH(USA)
Hello Fellow Riders:
I am new to this Forum but not to motorcycling. (71 Years of age and 53 years of motorcycling).
One vital lesson (inter alia) I have learnt and yet to see mentioned is the relative angle between vehicles at intersections/cross-roads, particularly rural roads crossing a highway. On a Highway, as you approach a crossing rural/secondary/county road: -
CHECK THE ANGLE BETWEEN YOU AND ANY APPROACHING VEHICLE ON THE RURAL ROAD.
IF THE ANGLE DOES NOT CHANGE YOU WILL ARRIVE AT THE INTERSECTION AT THE SAME TIME.
"Hayseed Hank" in his '78 F100 may not see you because you are "shadowed" by a door pillar, mirror or some such and will remain so until the last second. Hank is in the habit of not stopping at the "Stop" sign if he thinks the road is clear so will just cruise right on through crossing the highway at his normal speed....!
(Apologies to anyone named Hank or Hayseed, etc.)

Cheers,
Ahboon
[There is no joy in arrival, but there is in JOurneY]
Ahboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #1076
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahboon View Post
IF THE ANGLE DOES NOT CHANGE YOU WILL ARRIVE AT THE INTERSECTION AT THE SAME TIME.
That's Great....
I'd never thought about it that way ......... THANKS!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #1077
Apertureguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Only thing I have to offer is what I was told...

Enjoy the ride, but always dress for the crash.
Apertureguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #1078
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahboon View Post

This is a very old sea/boating navigation technique that is still used today in many different ways.

To put it another way, the visual technique for small boats is to observe the motion of the background/horizon in relation to the boat in question. If that boat is moving faster than the horizon appears to moving (from your viewpoint in another moving boat), then that boat will cross your path before you get there. If it appears to be moving slower than the horizon appears to be moving, you will pass in front of him. If it appears to be locked with the horizon, ie no differential movement between the two, you are on a collision course.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #1079
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
We use the same thing with airplanes, but in three dimensions.
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1080
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by geolpilot View Post
We use the same thing with airplanes, but in three dimensions.

Makes sense.

To be honest, I've never given it much thought while riding. There are very few instances where I can see another vehicle for long enough on a straight enough intersecting road to make any useful predictions. Plus most drivers speed and slow down randomly and or rapidly, you really never know WHAT the hell they are up to.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote