ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #3751
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fireman1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Gray GA
Oddometer: 2,446
Anyone done much two up riding with a KLR. I've had two KLR's int he past, and I love them. My wife rides with me from time to time, and I'm curious as to others experiences with a passenger. We are both average size, I'm 5'10' 175, and my wife is 5'8" 130ish ( I'm not going there). I'm not talking 500 miles on the freeway, more like a day ride from time to time, and maybe a weekend camping trip to north GA. What say you?
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #3752
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Anyone done much two up riding with a KLR. I've had two KLR's int he past, and I love them. My wife rides with me from time to time, and I'm curious as to others experiences with a passenger. We are both average size, I'm 5'10' 175, and my wife is 5'8" 130ish ( I'm not going there). I'm not talking 500 miles on the freeway, more like a day ride from time to time, and maybe a weekend camping trip to north GA. What say you?
My Wife and I ride Two up on the KLR quite often. We stay on backroads and the Wife does not like to go over about 50. I have a beefed up rear shock and spring . The bike does just fine. At least it did till the motor blew up!
__________________
ADV Relay Rider 08 (The Texas Connection)
Ride Pooie Ride

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #3753
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mnrider2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Minnesota
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechhunter View Post
Round trip is 9600 miles. Not counting detours for things we want see.
I am counting on 12,000 miles total. Average of 480 per day is needed to complete the trip. I realize some days we will not make that goal nor want to. I feel we can make up time on the first and last few days by doing 600+ mile days.
That's a lot of miles per day to see the site's and enjoy the trip.
Your welcome to leave your hauler at my place in southern Minnesota if that would help.
__________________
06 Ulysses
09 KLR 650
Mnrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #3754
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mnrider2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Southern Minnesota
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Anyone done much two up riding with a KLR. I've had two KLR's int he past, and I love them. My wife rides with me from time to time, and I'm curious as to others experiences with a passenger. We are both average size, I'm 5'10' 175, and my wife is 5'8" 130ish ( I'm not going there). I'm not talking 500 miles on the freeway, more like a day ride from time to time, and maybe a weekend camping trip to north GA. What say you?
Wife and I have put thousands of miles on my KLR's two up.
Set the rear shock up and be sure the chains not too tight and ride away.
__________________
06 Ulysses
09 KLR 650
Mnrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #3755
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nitro1970's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 191
Would metzler me880's work decent enough for a high mileage tire on the klr?? Right now I just need street tires..
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #3756
GAS GUY
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
My Wife and I ride Two up on the KLR quite often. We stay on backroads and the Wife does not like to go over about 50. I have a beefed up rear shock and spring . The bike does just fine. At least it did till the motor blew up!
What are the details and mileage on the engine meltdown ????
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #3757
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
What are the details and mileage on the engine meltdown ????
Bike has close to 40,000 miles on it engine was at about 3,000 miles on new big bore.
I was chasing a lean knock at high rpms and melted the piston. I was sick about it. I have just put every farkle known to man on it and then she blew.
I was getting ready for a big trip so I had to buy an 800 gs.

After trip will decide if 800 is the bike for me. If not I will sell it and find an engine for the KLR or I may part out the bike.
__________________
ADV Relay Rider 08 (The Texas Connection)
Ride Pooie Ride

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #3758
GAS GUY
MILE EATER
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Bike has close to 40,000 miles on it engine was at about 3,000 miles on new big bore.
I was chasing a lean knock at high rpms and melted the piston. I was sick about it. I have just put every farkle known to man on it and then she blew.
I was getting ready for a big trip so I had to buy an 800 gs.

After trip will decide if 800 is the bike for me. If not I will sell it and find an engine for the KLR or I may part out the bike.
Yeah, that sucks.What jetting did you have ? Was it that far off to melt the piston ?
__________________
2008 KLR 705-2004 ST1300-2001 FZ1
2001 GAS GAS 321
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3759
Simple.
I'm Special
 
Simple.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Troy, MI
Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by serangelc View Post
A friend of mine had the same "problem" with a 2012 KLR just before its first service at the dealer. I ended up being nothing more than a "tiny bit of something" that was keeping the cap of the coolant reservoir from sealing properly...
I will take a quick look to see if I can spot a tiny bit of something!

If the rad. is cracked, I hope they have an updated part for it cause that thing looks expensive once the warranty is up!

Thanks for you input guys. I'll let you know the outcome.

Jon
Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #3760
beechhunter
Gnarly Adventurer
 
beechhunter's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Vienna, GA
Oddometer: 242
Adcox Seats on Ebay?

Has anybody tried one of these seats. If so shoot me a PM or post the link, I have tried searching the KLR threads, but no luck. Had a Day Long once, pricey. Adcox Motorsports in TN. The guy is probably on ADV, I just don't know where to look.
beechhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #3761
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!
 
SkiBumBrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 1,048
What big bore? What exhaust did you run? Carb mods? Airbox? All these things play a huge part in your KLR performance bore kit or not. I have went abt as far as the stock motor can go (688 port valves cam) without a pumper carb or FI (which I will not do). The point is you have to have to whole package. Bigger lungs, bigger exhaust, fuel mix.
They run lean from the factory but everyone wants mod the exhaust first without first richening the system causing a critical lean condition at sustained RPM.
I doubt it was catastrophic failure.....

Pics of damage would be nice.
__________________
"Where ever you are, there you go..."

SkiBumBrian screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 10:18 PM
SkiBumBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #3762
Thumper26
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: A barrier island in NJ
Oddometer: 15
My search for a used KLR 650 continues but a thought entered my head (a major event!). What grade gasoline does the KLR use - regular, or does it require premium?
Thumper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #3763
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nitro1970's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper26 View Post
My search for a used KLR 650 continues but a thought entered my head (a major event!). What grade gasoline does the KLR use - regular, or does it require premium?
I run regular in mine... I happen to know where an 07 with around 3500 miles is at to.
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #3764
Thumper26
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: A barrier island in NJ
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
...I happen to know where an 07 with around 3500 miles is at to.
In what state is it located?
Thumper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #3765
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Nitro1970's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper26 View Post
In what state is it located?
It's located in Port Arthur, Tx
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014