Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #3766
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper26 View Post
My search for a used KLR 650 continues but a thought entered my head (a major event!). What grade gasoline does the KLR use - regular, or does it require premium?
I have 2 KLR's. One requires premium when temps go above 105F (common around here) the other needs premium when temps soar over 110F. (unfortunately also common around here lol) This is to prevent pinging under light loads.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #3767
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
99 mileage

looking for some input from some of you KLR gurus.

my new to me 99 and i have about 1k miles together now.........it had 3k on it when i bought it. it was basement kept, really a garage queen, had been put back on the road after a long sit by a knowledgable mc guy.

bike seems to idle a little rough, and i am getting about 48 mpg basically on a 25 mile round trip commute daily and another 150 or so additional miles each week. there have been no mods to the engine that the PO knew of. he had put it back on the road after a buddy of his died.

is this mpg about right for a 99? I am going to change the plug, as the PO said he had not (and soon do the doo).

is there anything i need to look for, or do, that will help it idle more smoothly? or help the mpg? it runs well under load at low speeds (as long as the rpms are up around 3k) and does well at 4k rpms at about 60mph indicated.

thanks for the help.

Scott
bess227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #3768
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
is there anything i need to look for, or do, that will help it idle more smoothly?
Long-distance diagnosis, but . . . assuming the prep included carburetor cleaning, you can perhaps improve idle stability by adjusting the FUEL SCREW.

To adjust, remove tamper-resistant plug (underside of carb, engine side) by drilling hole and "picking" out the plug; bottom fuel screw LIGHTLY (with small flat-blade screwdriver), then back fuel screw out about 1.75 or so turns, good starting point for a stock engine.

This adjustment should fuel-enrich your idle mixture; conventional wisdom has KLR650's factory-set fuel-lean initially, in fear of emissions violations.

Otherwise, with clean pilot circuit, clean air filter, at about 1200 rpm, should idle reasonalbly smoothly.

For a good primer on your carburetor, click here:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/keihin_carb.htm

P.S. FORGET ABOUT your fuel mileage! You're doing fine!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #3769
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Ok thanks!

I will start there. I had read of the fuel screw but was hesitant to attempt it. I will give it a shot, and thanks for the link. I knew when I bought her there would be some wrenching. so far very pleased with it overall.

My mpg questions stem from an 07 S40 Boulevard 650 that got about 60-63 no matter how hard you rode it.

thanks again.
bess227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #3770
Adiventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Seems like someone done fuck up, possibly me, but I'm not pointing fingers.

How would one go about fixing this problem?

Adiventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #3771
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,895
Center punch the center of bolt and try reverse drill bits and easy outs.Start with small bit and work your way larger if you have to.
Also apply some heat and try easy out.
Take your time and be patient.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #3772
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,895
If there is enough bolt sticking out to get vise grips to bite, you may be able to heat the boss up real hot and turn it out.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #3773
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,191
presoak with PB blaster and drill out
Old 08-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #3774
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
or PB and cut a slot and screw driver it out,you didnot say how it was done,going in or frozen and coming out.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #3775
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Good suggestions above, but not likely to work. That exact problem
has happened to dozens of KLRs. The solution if it refuses to come
out is to grind it off and weld on a nut for a new bolt, then use a little
Maalox so it won't seize again....
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #3776
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,774
Had the same broken bolt issue...

...on my 1990. Ground the remaining bolt down flush, carefully drilled it oversized and welded a new nut on, reinstalled the sheild. No problem since.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #3777
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Problem with light mount..

Added the light mount from Twisted Throttle to my '12 KLR ..followed the directions... Which were good..IMHO compared to most. Nice parts that bolted up well. Problem is at speed ..(45 or more) there's a bad vibration. It's not a little rattle...it's awful. I believe the sport bracket that came with the light bracket is causing the problem. I plan to do a do -over tomorrow to see if I missed something. The supplied rubber washers are where the directions illustrate...anyone else have these. Any ideas.? No way I can get used to this....something is wrong somewhere. I will call TT tomorrow after I re do. I really like the location up top but something is wrong.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #3778
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
or PB and cut a slot and screw driver it out,you didnot say how it was done,going in or frozen and coming out.
If I couldn't get a good bite with Vise-grips, I think I'd try this approach first; looks like there may be enough meat for a hacksaw blade or a Dremel Moto-Tool cut-off wheel to cut a slot for a flat-blade screwdriver bit . . . then, I'd consider an impact driver (maybe an impact wrench) to back the bolt shaft out . . .

I've had few successes with Easy-outs; have been forced to drill out the bolt remnant entirely, re-tapping the hole and using a new bolt . . .
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #3779
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bess227 View Post

my new to me 99 and i have about 1k miles together now.........it had 3k on it when i bought it. it was basement kept, really a garage queen, had been put back on the road after a long sit by a knowledgable mc guy.

bike seems to idle a little rough, and i am getting about 48 mpg basically on a 25 mile round trip commute daily and another 150 or so additional miles each week. there have been no mods to the engine that the PO knew of. he had put it back on the road after a buddy of his died.

is this mpg about right for a 99? I am going to change the plug, as the PO said he had not (and soon do the doo).

is there anything i need to look for, or do, that will help it idle more smoothly? or help the mpg? it runs well under load at low speeds (as long as the rpms are up around 3k) and does well at 4k rpms at about 60mph indicated.

thanks for the help.

Scott
A friend had a 07 KLR that average high 40s while my 09 averaged in low to mid 50s until the front sproket was replaced to a 14 tooth. Now I average 48-50 mpg. The newer KLRs are jetted leaner and probably get better mpg due to that reason. Try some Seafoam gas treatment and keep riding. How are the tires? Do the wheels turn freely? Condition of the chain? Any drag from the brakes?

48mpg for a 99 might be a good mpg.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 PM   #3780
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bess227 View Post

thanks for the help.

Scott
Not horrible but not great imo. I average 50ish with 14t front sprocket and relatively heavy throttle hand. When I was running 15 and 16t front sprockets I was getting 53-55mpg with the occasional tank over 60mpg. Even running 70 down the interstate I'd still get low/mid 50s. 10% ethanol 87 in the cold and 89 in the summer.

Tuning idle circuit will help with idle and decel popping, new properly gapped plug, make sure exhaust header bolts are tight, check carb boot. check/clean air filter, oil at proper level, tire pressure. The simple stuff can add up to several mpg.

Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote