Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #5326
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,328
I have a new in the bag air box I'll sell if someone needs it. PM me.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #5327
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Pulled the harness out this afternoon.... what a big wad of useless wires
Moving everything forward is going to be pretty slick and the hole where the battery and fuses sat is going to be a perfect spot for the pod filter. The intake runner is going to be about 12" long in that configuration. Ordered the ECU and a few related goodies this afternoon and ordering the AntiGravity battery tonight. This weekend, I hope to make a cardboard mock up of the battery tray/ECU bracket. I hope to also have a small pocket for the basic tool kit and some tire levers. Looks like I'll also have room for a much bigger fuel filter and an external fuel pressure regulator.

Progress
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #5328
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #5329
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Time to start a new thread Aaron ...

Where do you intend to install the air temp sensor ??? Also, This will impact your capacity to cross rivers, no ?

Paul Jr 8
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #5330
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post

Where do you intend to install the air temp sensor ??? Also, This will impact your capacity to cross rivers, no ?

Paul Jr 8
With a valid passport he can use a bridge to cross the Rio Grande.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #5331
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:

Paul Jr 8
The intake runner is going to be tubular Alum and I'll weld a flange to it for the sensor. I also plan to make a wall to protect the filter and suck air from around the seat pan, which should also keep water from sloshing in. Like a baffle I guess. The filter won't be any lower than an EXC, so not worried about it. Anyway, my 390 berg is my nasty trail riding machine and it has a very high filter.

I own www.690rider.com and I thought I might start a Blog about the build and the prep for Mexico. My shakedown ride is a 3 hour endurance ice race in Wisconsin in January. I plan on running the ironman class and riding without stopping All the guys racing are usually on Motorcross or woods bikes with a tiny fuel tanks, the 690 will have 7 gallons Most of the riders are dirt trackers and very, very fast, so I need all the advantages I can get!

With luck I might even be close to 70 hp, which is great when you're swinging a 50# ice tire around.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #5332
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 874
Cranky
make sure you do something to keep the filter from pulling the air from down low. the maintenance interval on the pod when I had the airbox fuel cell is what made me go back to the stock airbox....not that I like it and after geting the safari tank i built a tool box in the airbox place but the danm filter was clogged after 4 hours in the dez and i was too unskilled / lazy to make a baffle around the pod. with you moving it up and to the rear you should be in much better shape than i was.

you going to sell a kit for the loom?

you seem to have the same problem i do......hate the bike/love the bike
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #5333
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
The clamp for the boot connecting the air box to the throttle body? That should not be sliding off.
I have had the same problem. My boot/flange seemed to be mis-shaped so I have ordered a new one and I have been advised to use a wider hose clamp instead of the narrow std KTM part to assist with proper fitment.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #5334
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
clean speed engineering brake lever

hi folks,
With the clean speed engineering brake lever , how far down can you adjust the lever? I can't get it lower than flush with the footpeg. Is that normal? I'd like it to be slightly lower.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #5335
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Cranky
make sure you do something to keep the filter from pulling the air from down low. the maintenance interval on the pod when I had the airbox fuel cell is what made me go back to the stock airbox....not that I like it and after geting the safari tank i built a tool box in the airbox place but the danm filter was clogged after 4 hours in the dez and i was too unskilled / lazy to make a baffle around the pod. with you moving it up and to the rear you should be in much better shape than i was.

you going to sell a kit for the loom?

I really love the chassis and the motor but the harness is shit and I'm not going to chase random broken wire problems in the middle of nowhere. My 390 berg is rock solid, never a burp or a glitch and I think it's because of the simplicity of the harness and EFI system. The reality is that I love riding in the desert but I like to ride at a good pace. I'm not talented enough to ride the SE like that but a small bike like a 530 is way too small for me, the 690 is a good compromise. I hate giving up, must be all that time in the Military

Forgot to answer your question about buying a loom. I won't be selling them but Matt at DSG http://www.dentsport.com/ Is the one making the harness and building the FI maps for the Micro squirt. He could very easily make a few more if you want to go with the Microsquirt system. Let me get mine done and tuned and we can go from there though. We'll be spending some time on the dyno to get it right and then I'll do some trail banging, road riding and some fast rally roads to dial it in before I would consider sharing the maps.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #5336
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
[QUOTE=Gros Buck;19476095]The air box is made out of three main parts. Left, right (which is essentially a mirror of the right) and the air filter support. All parts are thermo glue together.

I had an air box changed under warranty because the air filter support was not air tight. And it was very hard to see.

Thanks for the help guys. I believe this might be the problem, the filter support (flat area on top) of mine seems to be curved a bit (lower in the center) when you look at it from the side. It is hard to tell for certain though and would like to confirm with others that it is not supposed to be like this. -Might take you up on the offer BK RD RNR
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #5337
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
hi folks,
With the clean speed engineering brake lever , how far down can you adjust the lever? I can't get it lower than flush with the footpeg. Is that normal? I'd like it to be slightly lower.
Yes, you can --- you have to cut the pushrod shorter.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #5338
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Don´t we all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I really love the chassis and the motor but the harness is shit and I'm not going to chase random broken wire problems in the middle of nowhere. My 390 berg is rock solid, never a burp or a glitch and I think it's because of the simplicity of the harness and EFI system. The reality is that I love riding in the desert but I like to ride at a good pace. I'm not talented enough to ride the SE like that but a small bike like a 530 is way too small for me, the 690 is a good compromise. I hate giving up, must be all that time in the Military

Forgot to answer your question about buying a loom. I won't be selling them but Matt at DSG http://www.dentsport.com/ Is the one making the harness and building the FI maps for the Micro squirt. He could very easily make a few more if you want to go with the Microsquirt system. Let me get mine done and tuned and we can go from there though. We'll be spending some time on the dyno to get it right and then I'll do some trail banging, road riding and some fast rally roads to dial it in before I would consider sharing the maps.
Music to my ears! Thank you for making an effort!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #5339
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:

Paul Jr 8
I mounted the temp sensor in a piece of aluminum (bottom of pic). The sensor itself is sealed.

Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 AM   #5340
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Anti gravity battery on the way! 1.7 lbs Trying to decide what to construct my electronics tray out of, alum is pretty easy but maybe HDPE is a better choice? CF would be cool but I have zero experience with it.