ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #52081
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I ride every weekend, technically every day.
+1
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #52082
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 298
Danville (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
Anyone actually riding this weekend? Danville/Tar Hollow/etc? Now that I'm an empty-nester with the boy off to college, lot's of work to do around the house but wouldn't mind getting the KLR or KTM out for a few hours.
Wouldn't mind getting up there Saturday or Sunday. Looks like 'chance' of rain. . . That shouldn't be a problem - it would be welcome. If you ride your KLR, I'll take the 950. If you want to blast around on the gravel, we can ride the EXC's. My schedule is wide open. Tried out a new breakfast restaurant just south of Danville at the Millwood interchange (SR 62-36) - Spearman's. I like it. I was the youngest person there. . . Home baked pies and cakes. It's sounding good right about now.

I'll stay in touch.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #52083
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
Wouldn't mind getting up there Saturday or Sunday. Looks like 'chance' of rain. . . That shouldn't be a problem - it would be welcome. If you ride your KLR, I'll take the 950. If you want to blast around on the gravel, we can ride the EXC's. My schedule is wide open. Tried out a new breakfast restaurant just south of Danville at the Millwood interchange (SR 62-36) - Spearman's. I like it. I was the youngest person there. . . Home baked pies and cakes. It's sounding good right about now.

I'll stay in touch.
I would probably prefer the GS if you are going to be on the 950. The poor little KLR would surely have a hard time keeping up with you on the 950!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #52084
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 298
It could happen. . .

Quote:
I would probably prefer the GS if you are going to be on the 950. The poor little KLR would surely have a hard time keeping up with you on the 950!
I thought your KLR was a 650. Really, I'm itching to ride the 450 and stay on the gravel. I'm really getting to know my around and can stay on the gravel about 95% of the time. Hoping for some rain and not planning on letting that spoil any fun. Found a little Amish 'bulk food' store on a back gravel road that makes really big sandwiches for $3.00. Sounds good right now. Saturday or Sunday - I'm a bachelor Saturday night - so I guess it's pizza with ice cream for dessert.

If you want to ride the big bike - I'm good for that too. I'm familiar with several good county roads up there too - so either way - let me know -

Anybody else in?
Old 08-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #52085
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
I thought your KLR was a 650. Really, I'm itching to ride the 450 and stay on the gravel. I'm really getting to know my around and can stay on the gravel about 95% of the time. Hoping for some rain and not planning on letting that spoil any fun. Found a little Amish 'bulk food' store on a back gravel road that makes really big sandwiches for $3.00. Sounds good right now. Saturday or Sunday - I'm a bachelor Saturday night - so I guess it's pizza with ice cream for dessert.

If you want to ride the big bike - I'm good for that too. I'm familiar with several good county roads up there too - so either way - let me know -

Anybody else in?
Yes the KLR is a 650, but obviously you haven't ridden one in a while as it takes a while to get my fat butt up to speed. As far as this weekend, then lets do the baby bikes as I put a new stator and countershaft seal in mine that I need to test out before beating on it too bad. Also, leaning toward Sunday as I have lots of stuff to do around the homestead and my son left me a flat tire on the Kubota that I need to get taken care of first. Anyone else want to tag along with a couple of old slow guys on 450s?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #52086
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
Alan, so glad you are home!
Hows texas working out for ya?
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #52087
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Yes the KLR is a 650, but obviously you haven't ridden one in a while as it takes a while to get my fat butt up to speed. As far as this weekend, then lets do the baby bikes as I put a new stator and countershaft seal in mine that I need to test out before beating on it too bad. Also, leaning toward Sunday as I have lots of stuff to do around the homestead and my son left me a flat tire on the Kubota that I need to get taken care of first. Anyone else want to tag along with a couple of old slow guys on 450s?
I'm a definite maybe. I'll prob bring he KTM so I can keep up...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #52088
Moparmanpete
Support all riders

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Wish I could
87 XL600R "The Cracken" deceased till further notice
Moparmanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #52089
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,799
Well, I swore I'd never sell my Vstrom unless I was done with motorcycles.

Who wants to buy a Vstrom?

I'm not tossing in the two-wheel towel completely, just done with the street for a while. Been building up to this for a while, really, but I've had a lot of changes in my life recently good and bad, but none of them are conducive to riding on the street anymore. Other than commuting on it I haven't ridden much at all. I think I'm gonna stick to dirt which is my real love, and take a few years off the road while I tend to other things. Maybe I'll be back, maybe I'll buy a Harley with apehangers, maybe I'll buy a Miata and kick that closet door open with gusto.

Anywho, before it goes on the flea market I'm offering it up here in the off chance any locals are looking for a well-loved and well-ridden DL1000. Ain't gonna lie and say it's been babied, everyone that has ridden with me knows otherwise, I used it like an adventure bike but it's been maintained like I meant it to last the rest of my life, and that was the plan. I've followed or surpassed the maintenance schedule and it's had synthetic oil and fresh air filters since break in. It's well sorted out, mechanically needs nothing, and has a lot of good mods. I went through it every winter, so bearings and swingarm maintenance have always been done. Has new break pads, fluids throughout, valves checked on schedule (they have never budged). Secondaries are balanced, TBS and TPS are freshly adjusted. Runs perfect.

The only problems at all are cosmetic, scuffs here and there from my low-speed spill earlier in the year. It looks like a bike that's been toured and commuted with, but it's not tore up. The crash bars and pannier bars are off it, as they were broke in that tip but it's got soft bags and a lighted top box on it now. Wouldn't take much to make it look 100%.

Details:

2003 DL1k. 33,900 miles (might climb, as I'm still riding it)
PCIII(usb) with a custom dyno tune
Re-geared with new sprocket and RK-xring
Fork brace
Suzuki center stand
Givi tall screen and a short summer screen.
Aprilia mirrors
Hinkle Engineering clutch basket (smooth as silk)
Spacer mod on the rear wheel
Heated grips
LED short stalk signals
Cycra handguards
Switched fuse box and power meter
Lower DL650 seat (also have an airhawk I'll pitch in)
Oil Filter mod (lets you use common 7317 filters instead of the more expensive and harder to find Suzuki ones)
Modulated brake LED's

Also comes with a couple takeoff rear tires with some life left in 'em, full factory manual, battery tender, a big Rapid Transit tank bag, and I have an extra chain and front sprocket too...will only need a rear next change. I also have a Synergy heated jacket liner in large I'll throw in....plus some goodies that make maintenance handier.

My Ohio ADV price is $3000.00, but I insist it go to a good home where beatings will be kept to a bare minimum.
I might consider trades on a little truck in decent shape of similar value, long shot but ya never know. If it never sells, I won't be in the least upset...but I'd rather see it go to a friend than some jackhole who asks me 800 stupid questions and then mounts a cupholder on it. That guy doesn't need it.

This is pre-removal of the pannier racks and engine guards, but other than that it's as pictured.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #52090
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Find a buyer for my KTM and I'll buy it tomorrow.......

Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #52091
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Find a buyer for my KTM and I'll buy it tomorrow.......
You ain't gonna mount a cup holder on it, are ya?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #52092
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 255
I would be interested in the crash bars, if you think they/it can be repaired & they're not going with the bike.
I promise not to put a cup holder, or camera mount, on them.......
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #52093
swingset
Got the knack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTacticool View Post
I would be interested in the crash bars, if you think they/it can be repaired & they're not going with the bike.
I promise not to put a cup holder, or camera mount, on them.......
They were fooked, cracked at the bends on both mounting tabs (the right side anyway). Did their job, kept the bike's damage to just a scratch here and there, but got tossed after I took them off. I kept the other side and asked around on the strom forums in case someone had crunched the other side and I might pair them back up, but no dice (so far).

Old 08-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #52094
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
You ain't gonna mount a cup holder on it, are ya?
Only to hold a mason jar.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #52095
McTacticool
Importer/Exporter

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
They were fooked, cracked at the bends on both mounting tabs (the right side anyway). Did their job, kept the bike's damage to just a scratch here and there, but got tossed after I took them off. I kept the other side and asked around on the strom forums in case someone had crunched the other side and I might pair them back up, but no dice (so far).
Ok, thanks. If someone here gets your bike, an extra windshield that I don't envision me using came with mine that I would part with.
McTacticool is offline   Reply With Quote