Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Anyway, if you do not acquainted with somebody personally, it is a bad taste to make personal directional suggestions, i.e. where to go or where to hung on.
i can agree with that, i thought your questions were legitimate.

eakins can't be right all the time, after all, everyone knows my wanged together cop motor powered custom suspended V649HP rat bike will run away and hide from that Twisted Throttle moto.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,922
Quote:
eakins you are definitely a plug in every leaking ass, you always has to tell something useless or meaningless, and I just wonder are you paid for that? I mean all advrider is full of your stuff, are you doing anything else beside punching your poor keyboard 24x7? BTW, how often do you have to change them due to wear, bi-weekly?
Fixed it.
ROFLMAO Really did make me laugh.
Maybe he's just trying to drive up his post count.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 234
What about the exhaust?

I've been thinking about getting a used Versys and adding a skid plate and doing the 19" wheel conversion, or maybe saving up for a set of RAD versys wheels. But I'm wondering about extending the exhaust pipe and bringing it up and using the passenger peg as a mount kinda at 45 degrees?

The reason for all this is to make cheaper ADV bike that can handle highway better that my XRL. I like the bike but on the highway the bike sucks. I'm also starting to do larger rides and multi day trips. The XRL is very reliable but I'm planning trips that are linked by highway.

Yes there are better bike for this but from what I've read the Versys is very reliable and cheap to run. Also if - no when !! I crash it I wouldn't crap my pants like if owned a BMW ,KTM or other expensive bike.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #19
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrittner View Post
I've been thinking about getting a used Versys and adding a skid plate and doing the 19" wheel conversion, or maybe saving up for a set of RAD versys wheels. But I'm wondering about extending the exhaust pipe and bringing it up and using the passenger peg as a mount kinda at 45 degrees?
you can move the exhaust if you want to, but it's not necessary for Colorado gravel roads, runs fine as is. you don't need spokes either. the 19" front should be at the top of the list. mount the R1 shock while you're at it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
no, i'm paid just to personally annoy you.

working on my 2nd set of keyboards this week, between enjoying the sunny and clear 80 degree weather, surfing, snorkeling, exploring and riding my motorcycle every day this winter.

Quote:
eakins you are definitely a plug in every leaking ass, you always has to tell something useless or meaningless, and I just wonder are you paid for that? I mean all advrider is full of your stuff, are you doing anything else beside punching your poor keyboard 24x7? BTW, how often do you have to change them due to wear, by weekly?

Anyway, if you do not acquainted with somebody personally, it is a bad taste to make personal directional suggestions, i.e. where to go or where to hung on.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i can agree with that, i thought your questions were legitimate.

eakins can't be right all the time, after all, everyone knows my wanged together cop motor powered custom suspended V649HP rat bike will run away and hide from that Twisted Throttle moto.
don't doubt that.
it's an awesome build up ninja

but wasn't the original question?
"Has anyone taken a Kawasaki 650 Versys and turned it on to a full Duel Sport Bike"
which i provided many answers to?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:

The reason for all this is to make cheaper ADV bike that can handle highway better that my XRL. I like the bike but on the highway the bike sucks. I'm also starting to do larger rides and multi day trips. The XRL is very reliable but I'm planning trips that are linked by highway.

Yes there are better bike for this but from what I've read the Versys is very reliable and cheap to run. Also if - no when !! I crash it I wouldn't crap my pants like if owned a BMW ,KTM or other expensive bike.
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/mcy/2752428329.html

Been eying JDRocks build thread....this ones too far for me...
S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #23
xs904
Ready to scramble.

Oddometer: 9
JD's

Got to admit, I've read all of JD's build's and tours. First time in ages I've seen a bike that tick's all the right boxes, in cost and capabilities. So much so I've started looking to build one myself.

Your a bad influence JD... keep up the posts!

RH
xs904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #24
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 482
Good eye, send me some money and I'll go get it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t.t.G. View Post
http://pueblo.craigslist.org/mcy/2752428329.html

Been eying JDRocks build thread....this ones too far for me...
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
don't doubt that.
it's an awesome build up ninja

but wasn't the original question?
"Has anyone taken a Kawasaki 650 Versys and turned it on to a full Dual Sport Bike"
which i provided many answers to?
you need to take a peek at the build thread for the V649HP, it's a Versys with a cop motor, not a Ninja. maybe you were thinking about the first two ER6 based bike builds.

your example of the Twisted Throttle bike does not fit the category of bike found in the "Some Assembly Required" subforum, it's a bolt together bike better situated in the "Versys Owner's" thread where it was first introduced. i do like the fact that the V649HP was a Versys budget build and completed for less than 10% of the reported cost of the Twisted Throttle bike, putting this type of build within reach of riders who are very conscientious in stretching their riding dollars. the bike build has been proven capable as a dual sport bike in the accepted use of that terminology.

since the OP question was "Can a Versys be as good as a KLR?" and it was asked here in the builder's forum, the answer lies in the innovative and inexpensive Ninja/Versys builds found here, and not in the aftermarket parts catalogs.

lastly, i'm not at all keen on ill mannered or rude responses to riders homebased outside the USA asking for help or information. the USA riding community has a tradition of being unfailingly hospitable to foreign riders, i'd like to keep that tradition alive, be it here or on the road.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #26
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs904 View Post
Got to admit, I've read all of JD's build's and tours. First time in ages I've seen a bike that tick's all the right boxes, in cost and capabilities. So much so I've started looking to build one myself.

Your a bad influence JD... keep up the posts!

RH
yup, that's me...bad influence, but good company.

let the build begin...come back with some photos.

if you read the build thread, you know that there are a couple of UK riders adding the DRZ forks/R1 shock/DL wheel mods to their Versys bikes, both with scheduled rides to Morocco in 2012. you might PM them to see how they're coming along, stop by for a look if not far away.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #27
rrittner
SometimesY

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
yup, that's me...bad influence, but good company.

let the build begin...come back with some photos.

if you read the build thread, you know that there are a couple of UK riders adding the DRZ forks/R1 shock/DL wheel mods to their Versys bikes, both with scheduled rides to Morocco in 2012. you might PM them to see how they're coming along, stop by for a look if not far away.

Is there a thread for these builds? I do enjoy the amount of suspension I have on my current bike, would be nice to have the knowlegde on how to bump the suspension up by a few inches.

I've also enjoyed reading about your adventures on your rat bike.
rrittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
Bart1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Is there a thread for these builds? I do enjoy the amount of suspension I have on my current bike, would be nice to have the knowlegde on how to bump the suspension up by a few inches.

I've also enjoyed reading about your adventures on your rat bike.

I have just done a extended fork thread here

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,11873.75.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=18133

Managed to add 30mm of travel using existing forks and springs.

Bart
Bart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
Good eye, send me some money and I'll go get it for you.
S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #30
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
we should enjoy while it can, both are very good bike to fit my kinda style
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote