ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #4861
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Success!!! The FAT 32 formatted (32gb) uSD card is working.
Finally!

Sorry for all the trouble, takes most of the fun out of it :(

Glad you have it up and running!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #4862
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Speaking of Adventures - do you happen to have a packaged "Adventure" you could share, perhaps through Dropbox? I was curious to see how they work but I don't have time right now to play with it. Doing bike work to get ready for a short holiday.

Mounting Pelican boxes takes priority.
If you have BaseCamp v4.0.1 installed you simply select the Adventures Icon in the data window. From there you can choose "Find Adventures" which will bring up the search window. Search for "Big Spring Campground". You don't have to search by name either. You can search by area just like any other search for POIs.

This was a very simple test Adventure from me. You can add a lot more information in the form of additional data.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #4863
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
happy b-day to me....

Just bought me a early b-day present ..... Montana 600 woooowooooo should be here Tuesday from gps-city. I'm a little unclear on the map part hoping some of you fine people can help me out. I have a few other Garmin products GPS V ( broken) , 705, 60csx, all came with different maps. I have city select, city Nav v7 on CD and SD card and blue chart on SD card also. Question is will I need to buy a new city nav to use in the Montana? I downloaded base camp to start the learning curve coming from map source and all my maps show up in BC. Just unclear if I'll be able to transfer them to Montana.
Thanks drtsqtr
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #4864
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
Just bought me a early b-day present ..... Montana 600 woooowooooo should be here Tuesday from gps-city. I'm a little unclear on the map part hoping some of you fine people can help me out. I have a few other Garmin products GPS V ( broken) , 705, 60csx, all came with different maps. I have city select, city Nav v7 on CD and SD card and blue chart on SD card also. Question is will I need to buy a new city nav to use in the Montana? I downloaded base camp to start the learning curve coming from map source and all my maps show up in BC. Just unclear if I'll be able to transfer them to Montana.
Thanks drtsqtr
When you list your maps, do the ones you want to use show as "unlocked" instead of "not lockable"? If they are unlocked, my understanding is that they have been tied to a specific device and cannot be used on another device.

For instance, I have CN 2010.20 unlocked to a 60Cx, and CN 2013.10 unlocked to a 650T, and those are the ties that bind.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #4865
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
When you list your maps, do the ones you want to use show as "unlocked" instead of "not lockable"? If they are unlocked, my understanding is that they have been tied to a specific device and cannot be used on another device.

For instance, I have CN 2010.20 unlocked to a 60Cx, and CN 2013.10 unlocked to a 650T, and those are the ties that bind.
yes it says unlocked F:\GARMIN\CSNA7

BUMMER so now do i buy a new dvd or on sd card and is citynav offered as a lifetime update?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #4866
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,317
Quote:
yes it says unlocked F:\GARMIN\CSNA7

BUMMER so now do i buy a new dvd or on sd card and is citynav offered as a lifetime update?
CN on an SD card has the advantage of being able to be moved from device to device, so if your CN is on an SD card from Garmin, you can just pop it in the Montana and you are good to go.

What I was talking about was downloaded CN or DVD CN; those are unlocked to a specific device.

If you end up buying a new CN, you can, for an extra fee, add lifetime updates to it.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #4867
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Great Info Found

My thanks to the folks who helped me sort through the issues I was having with my 650t, you each offered useful and informative information. You ROCK!

No doubt I'll continue to have questions and this is THE resource!!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #4868
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If you have BaseCamp v4.0.1 installed you simply select the Adventures Icon in the data window. From there you can choose "Find Adventures" which will bring up the search window. Search for "Big Spring Campground". You don't have to search by name either. You can search by area just like any other search for POIs.

This was a very simple test Adventure from me. You can add a lot more information in the form of additional data.

Cheers,
Thanks, I guess there's no way for me to avoid having to download BaseCamp again. Both my Mac and Win 7 machines are complaining I'm still on an older version without the Adventures feature.

I was hoping to save my net bandwidth for F1 torrents today. ;)
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #4869
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
CN on an SD card has the advantage of being able to be moved from device to device, so if your CN is on an SD card from Garmin, you can just pop it in the Montana and you are good to go.

What I was talking about was downloaded CN or DVD CN; those are unlocked to a specific device.

If you end up buying a new CN, you can, for an extra fee, add lifetime updates to it.
I think thats my plan. going to buy new CN dvd and get lifetime updates, just have to figure out where to find it. I see the dvd forsale but not the lifetime update is that something id have to call customer support at garmin for? and THANKS for all the help.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #4870
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,444
Quote:
Thanks drtsqtr
You can unlock up to two devices with the version of City Nav you have, and I'm pretty sure as many as you want to with the old City Select. Both can be used on your Montana

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #4871
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,444
Quote:
I think thats my plan. going to buy new CN dvd and get lifetime updates, just have to figure out where to find it. I see the dvd forsale but not the lifetime update is that something id have to call customer support at garmin for? and THANKS for all the help.
You have to buy the current version (has to be on DVD) and THEN buy the lifetime updates. Amazon has both for a tad cheaper then straight from Garmin. You're best off buyng the current version which will come with one free upgrade, then wait a while and buy the lifetime updates. Who knows, you may hate the Montana and it'll save you from wasting another $70+.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #4872
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 717
adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Speaking of Adventures - do you happen to have a packaged "Adventure" you could share, perhaps through Dropbox? I was curious to see how they work but I don't have time right now to play with it. Doing bike work to get ready for a short holiday.

Mounting Pelican boxes takes priority.
Playing around with adventures this morning, here's the public link that was created or within basecamp you can use the Find and Filter Results using "dvwalker". I included the kitchen sink (waypoints, images, video and one mega multi-day joined track) to see how well things were supported. All in all Garmin has done a nice job. A couple initial observations as I walked thru the process:
  • videos can be included via geotagged youtube links, nice feature
  • only one track can be marked as primary, which is used for play back, elevation and detail properties on the main page of your adventure, hence why I joined the tracks
  • didn't see a way to delete an adventure after it's published. Deleting the adventure in basecamp didn't seem to remove it online, one way ticket ride???
    ***edit: need to use archive then delete from BC
  • would be nice to be able to filter results by activity, noticed a lot of hiking tracks which I'd like to filter out when using map area search
    ***edit: need to use standard BC Find filter, not the Filter Results within Adventure Find
  • edits to the adventure via basecamp and republishing can take a while to post, 2hrs later still haven't seen my edits posted online

dvwalker screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 02:36 PM
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #4873
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Playing around with adventures this morning, here's the public link that was created or within basecamp you can use the Find and Filter Results using "dvwalker". I included the kitchen sink (waypoints, images, video and one mega multi-day joined track) to see how well things were supported. All in all Garmin has done a nice job. A couple initial observations as I walked thru the process:
  • videos can be included via geotagged youtube links, nice feature
  • only one track can be marked as primary, which is used for play back, elevation and detail properties on the main page of your adventure, hence why I joined the tracks
  • didn't see a way to delete an adventure after it's published. Deleting the adventure in basecamp didn't seem to remove it online, one way ticket ride???
  • would be nice to be able to filter results by activity, noticed a lot of hiking tracks which I'd like to filter out when using map area search
  • edits to the adventure via basecamp and republishing can take a while to post, 2hrs later still haven't seen my edits posted online
You don't delete Adventures. But to remove them from online you Edit -> Archive them from the BC Adventures properties page.

You can filter by "type". Just type the "type" of adventure into the search window.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #4874
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
New Mac Basecamp

Can one of you Mac Basecamp geeks confirm this bug before I call it in?

v4.0.1.0 Get info on a route, select the info tab on the window -- the "Summary:" text is written in a light grey font on an only slightly darker light grey background. Barely legible.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 01:55 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #4875
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You don't delete Adventures. But to remove them from online you Edit -> Archive them from the BC Adventures properties page.

You can filter by "type". Just type the "type" of adventure into the search window.

Cheers,
thanks Dan, the dueling filter capability was throwing me off...although I think it would be more intuitive to add an "Activity" field filter to the "filter results" dialog in BC. I know I used intuitive and BC (Win) in the same sentence.

In order to "delete" my published bogus adventure, I had to log into my garmin via BC, download the adventure and then archive. That seemed to have done the trick. Perhaps a better way to handle this would be to prompt user to "Archive" the online adventure when user removes it from the built-in Garmin Adventure list.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote