Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #451
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
So to get these 1150GS hand guards that fit, I could just go to Bikebandit.com and order OEM the guards and hardware for an 1150GS and those will fit with some small modification? Or is there another place to buy? All together on Bikebandit the price is $64.69 shipped. Seems like a good deal to me.. but I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #452
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
So to get these 1150GS hand guards that fit, I could just go to Bikebandit.com and order OEM the guards and hardware for an 1150GS and those will fit with some small modification? Or is there another place to buy? All together on Bikebandit the price is $64.69 shipped. Seems like a good deal to me.. but I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing.
That is a good deal - I bought my set from a BMW dealer and paid $107 last year.

They went right on the bike, but at first they didn't want to clear the tank and fairing without spending quite a bit of time tweaking everything. My biggest issue was the guards rubbing the tank when the bars were turned full lock. If you mount them up loosely and make adjustments before you snug down all the hardware, you should be good to go....
http://britt-motorcycling.blogspot.com
BrittC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #453
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolburner View Post
Beautiful color like mine too!
Plus, my wife likes it!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #454
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittC View Post
That is a good deal - I bought my set from a BMW dealer and paid $107 last year.

They went right on the bike, but at first they didn't want to clear the tank and fairing without spending quite a bit of time tweaking everything. My biggest issue was the guards rubbing the tank when the bars were turned full lock. If you mount them up loosely and make adjustments before you snug down all the hardware, you should be good to go....

Thanks! I have a question though. From this link to Bikebandit, it shows the hardware needed below the picture. Is that all the hardware I will need or is there something they aren't showing? I see in the picture they show a couple parts that aren't in the items listed below.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #455
BrittC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37 View Post
Thanks! I have a question though. From this link to Bikebandit, it shows the hardware needed below the picture. Is that all the hardware I will need or is there something they aren't showing? I see in the picture they show a couple parts that aren't in the items listed below.

You will need all of the parts in the picture, and for some reason they don't all appear in the list below it. For example, parts 30 and 36, etc. The set I ordered from BMW came with everything in that pic.

One other thing I did was grind down the depth of part 18 so it would sit flush with the end of the guard when the bolt was tightened down. I used a belt sander for mine....
http://britt-motorcycling.blogspot.com
BrittC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #456
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Four days of riding and I am quite pleased. The bike now has about 550 miles and is starting to loosen up. Fresh fuel seems to have made a difference as she felt stuffy and lethargic for the first day or so while I ran out the old gas. Once filled anew, she seemed a bit more responsive and willing to spin up. Maybe that is a combination of factors, as I spent most of yesterday running her up and down through te range and trying to loosen her internals a bit.

My impressions follow standard Capo fare: the fork is squishy as promised but I can live with that as she tracks well and heels easily enough. I expect a slight vagueness in front end feel may be why many of you stiffen them up? I have no plans for dirt so this can wait. Brakes are good, competent, but not great feeling, again perhaps to the soft front end creating a good bit of dive? I think that perhaps mutes the feel of what otherwise are decent binders.

Otherwise, she exceeds expectations on road. Plenty of power for me, very nice cruising at 80-90. Where my GS would have been starting to run out of steam, the Caponord is still delivering plenty and the power builds nicely as revs rise. It's smooth at elevated highway speeds as well, and for me, wind protection and smooth air flow seem to require no change at all. Maybe this is much about my height and posture, but for me (and in pleasant weather) it offers all the protection and smoothness I require. I ride with earplugs (always) so I am less sensitive to wind and road noise than those who don't.

Over all comfort is quite high, bar, seat and peg position works well for me, though I could see working on the seat. Positioning for me is good, but I start to squirm after a couple of hours. Gearbox is excellent; no missed shifts and smooth, easy operation, clutch is light and positive, no chatter and a consistent friction point. She gets a bit warm in traffic but once rolling that is not an issue. Steering is neutral feeling fr such a big bike, and as I gain confidence low speed maneuvers have become less challenging.

She hasn't burned any visible oil, always a nice thing.

I can see why the mob here holds onto them, and I am happy to have found her. I intend to do all the prophylactic stuff and then enjoy the ride.
Thanks to all for the good wishes here and via PMs.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #457
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 544
Video I made of my trip to Hell's Canyon last weekend on the Caponord.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #458
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Nice job on the video Trevor. Glad you didn't lose pressure in the rear tire mid corner! "Hell's Canyon Attempt" -- Did you make it to Hell's Canyon?
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #459
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Nice job on the video Trevor. Glad you didn't lose pressure in the rear tire mid corner! "Hell's Canyon Attempt" -- Did you make it to Hell's Canyon?
Not really. As soon as we got into it and started going up, the tire unraveled. Only on that one side too. The other side had what looked like more than 1000 miles left in the center. Not sure of the cause. Age? Balancing? I'll probably change out the front just to be safe.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #460
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,520
What tires were you using and what tire pressures?

BTW, great video!
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #461
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
What tires were you using and what tire pressures?

BTW, great video!
Continental Trail Attack in accordance with the air pressure chart on the swingarm.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #462
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post

Hard to find a 2002 like this with such low miles. I even get to give her the 600 mile service.
sOoo,that's what a Capo looks like without scratches,dents,UV damage and rusted metal brackets (mine) .
great find,enjoy.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #463
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Pampero,

I would recommend the Ricor Intiminators for the front forks on your "new" Capo. Petrolburner bought my Capo with them installed. They're easy to put in and really control the "dive."
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #464
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
Pampero,

I would recommend the Ricor Intiminators for the front forks on your "new" Capo. Petrolburner bought my Capo with them installed. They're easy to put in and really control the "dive."
They have been vigorously recommended and I can understand why. The front end is both undersprung /under-damped.
I am doing the prophylactic work indicated by the knowledge base here and the (LOL!) the 600 mile service this week; brown connector, etc. Also, Moto International has said they will do the fuel lines as a courtesy (Tremendous dealership there). Then it's to work on the fork. Most noticed issue with the forks is when braking.
I ground those silly peg feelers like crazy today and will take them off tonight; I didn't realize they were even there until they threw a shower of sparks (I'm guessing). You have all been there but this is a brand new bike to me, and it is scratching all my itches.

A perusal of the eBay offerings has left me scratching my head. A sea of nothing, 100 items times nine pages. Plenty of Gold Fren brake pads at anywhere from 100 to 19 dollars, and more red Chinese brake levers than all of us could use in ten lifetimes.

Pampero screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 08:18 PM
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #465
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

So It's time for some new tires. I've read about the Shinko 705s and I've had a good experience with Shinko tires in the past, so I figured I'd try them out on the Capo. I'll definitely get a 705 on the rear, but what would be best on the front? I've heard the 705 howls like crazy at 80+ mph, and that it likes to follow the grooves in the road. I rarely go faster than 85mph but if there is a better selection for the front I'd like to go with that. Anybody suggest anything?

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug