ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #4096
yondering
Beastly Adventurer
 
yondering's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: NW Wa. state
Oddometer: 1,100
So how many of you scrolled back up to look at his dink?
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #4097
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prairies...
Oddometer: 212
WTF? Since gettin a 690, I still often "lurk" around as I miss the 525 daily. I remember the 525 bunch as being "friendly", but is it getting warm in here or is it just me? Let's change the topic boys shall we!!
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #4098
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 1,034
Just bought a 2007 450 EXC that came street-legal from the factory. It came with an FMF Factory 4.1 muffler. I'm looking for a quieter muffler. I know the oem muffler was quite a bit more restrictive than the race bikes to meet epa emissions reqts.

I was thinking about an offroad (XCW or pre-2007 EXC) muffler. I suspect that they would all fit the street legal 450. Tried to do a comparison by shopping the aftermarket mufflers but I can't find aftermarket 450 EXC exhaust. I guess that's because it is street-legal?
__________________
'07 450EXC, '06 950 Supermoto, '09 YZ450F
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #4099
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
I was thinking about an offroad (XCW or pre-2007 EXC) muffler.
Once you remove the restrictor from the 2007 EXC muffler it's pretty much identical to the 2005/2006 EXC muffler. I know because I removed the restrictor on my 2007 and I had a 2005 at the time too.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #4100
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
Just bought a 2007 450 EXC that came street-legal from the factory. It came with an FMF Factory 4.1 muffler. I'm looking for a quieter muffler. I know the oem muffler was quite a bit more restrictive than the race bikes to meet epa emissions reqts.

I was thinking about an offroad (XCW or pre-2007 EXC) muffler. I suspect that they would all fit the street legal 450. Tried to do a comparison by shopping the aftermarket mufflers but I can't find aftermarket 450 EXC exhaust. I guess that's because it is street-legal?
You could try a 4.1 quiet insert, and maybe check the condition of the packing. Packing is cheap, but wouldn't be enough on it's own. Neduro had an insert in a 4.1 on his Dakar bike, at least long enough to get through scrutineering.

__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #4101
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,523
ht-racing oil cooler and trailtech stator

Has anyone had a problem getting these to work together.

I've had the oil cooler on the bike for a while. Just bought the Trailtech stator.

Unfortunately it wasn't working. Idling I can measure 13.4v at the battery but it drops to 12.6 with low beam and 12.4 with hi-beam. Lower if I short the fan on.

Trailtech tech support said this wasn't normal. After debugging on the phone it turned out that there was a short in the stator. Measuring between each yellow wire and ground it was ~150M ohms when cold but would drop to about 1M ohms when warm. They said there should only be open circuit.

They sent me a replacement but the (lack of) charging symptoms are identical. I'm baffled. I get 1M ohm short to ground on both yellow outputs when warm but I'm not seeing anything when it's cold (open circuit).

I carefully checked that no part of the stator windings is contacting the HT-racing cover. The only part that is making contact (as I can see where it has rubbed) is the metal cable strain relief on the underside of the stator (it's plastic on the OEM) but this is mounted to the center/ground part of the stator which in turn is grounded to the case via the 2 mounting bolts.

Anyone had similar problems? I left a message w/ Bill Sr at HTR. I expect TT (for debugging) will want me to rip off the HTR setup and go back to stock. Otherwise I might truck the bike up there since they're only 20 miles away.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #4102
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,674
My HT cooler and TT stator have worked fine. I've never kicked since adding the stator, and the few times I've put the bike on a tender it's already charged.

Removing the cooler to test the difference is the only way to tell if it's part of the problem. If the results are the same, then you know it's not a cooler/stator conflict. If they are different, then at least you have narrowed your problem. It wouldn't take long and I'm sure the vendors will appreciate your attempt at self help.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #4103
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,674
Question Headlight

I rarely ride at night, but recently I found myself in the desert with a stock headlight that was next to worthless. What aftermarket headlight alternatives have you guys tried, and what do you think about the value (cost vs. improvement) of the product? I don't see myself going top shelf for a HID light on this bike.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #4104
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
I rarely ride at night, but recently I found myself in the desert with a stock headlight that was next to worthless. What aftermarket headlight alternatives have you guys tried, and what do you think about the value (cost vs. improvement) of the product? I don't see myself going top shelf for a HID light on this bike.


i have the Trail Tech X2 HID and i do like it.

BUT,

a friend that just aquired a Husaberg (AKA Blue KTM) and bought and installed a HID light that some guy on ADV is making that looks identical to stock with a little more glass sticking out for the HID light to fit.

i can get more info on this from him, but he's out of town riding. i'll post up when i hear from him.

but where i'm getting at with this is, him and i went night riding and he was behind me and his light made my Trail Tech X2 look like it was the stock KTM headlight. i think he paid $120 and it comes with the headlight cowl unit as one.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #4105
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,878
Did it have high and low beam.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #4106
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
My HT cooler and TT stator have worked fine. I've never kicked since adding the stator, and the few times I've put the bike on a tender it's already charged.
I'm curious what voltages people are getting at idle, idle+low beam and idle+high beam (measured at the battery terminals) with the Trailtech stator and voltage regulator.

Anyone feel inclined to help me out?

Quote:
Removing the cooler to test the difference is the only way to tell if it's part of the problem. If the results are the same, then you know it's not a cooler/stator conflict. If they are different, then at least you have narrowed your problem. It wouldn't take long and I'm sure the vendors will appreciate your attempt at self help.
Yeah. I may have to go the self-help route

Since I get open (correct) when cold and 1M ohm (apparently bad) when warm I was thinking I might see if I can reproduce this outside of the bike first.

Not sure what is the best way to heat up the stator. Leave out in sun, immerse in plastic tub of warm oil ?

If that doesn't reproduce it, I'll have to try removing the HT and re-installing the stock cover.

crazybrit screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 07:44 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #4107
hizzo3
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 90
So i skimmed through about 30 pages of the almost 300 pages on this thread... aside from asking where my award is, here is what I gather from the 5XX bike as an adventure bike:

I am looking at the 2013 500 exc as an adventure conversion. I have a dl1000 but want something more fun off road to not only allow me to better my off road skills but tossing around a 550 lbs dirt bike not fun, if you want to consider a dl1000 on loose gravel, sand and open fields. I want to be able to ideally do things like cdr, big bend and the like without trailering.

Pro
light & nimble (cant justify a 350 for such little weight difference @ 6'1 230 lbs)
powerful
aside from trials riding, it can do just about everything else with right set up

Con
questionable rear subframe, needs robust racks if toting gear
small oil capacity, short oil change interval (fix with oil cooler) Ideally want closer to 2k miles minimum interval
not so comfortable on long rides (if i am doing an IBA ride, i have my strom)
headlight is crap and would need a total replacement as 40% of my riding is at night, in deer country


Other notes
valves need to be checked every 30 hrs, but experience shows that 6-12k seems like a realistic interval
needs a cush type rear hub for pavement
possible regear for highway and carry spare sprockets for dirt

Is there anything I am missing if I were to go pick one of these up and abuse it?
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #4108
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i have the Trail Tech X2 HID and i do like it.

BUT,

a friend that just aquired a Husaberg (AKA Blue KTM) and bought and installed a HID light that some guy on ADV is making that looks identical to stock with a little more glass sticking out for the HID light to fit.

i can get more info on this from him, but he's out of town riding. i'll post up when i hear from him.

but where i'm getting at with this is, him and i went night riding and he was behind me and his light made my Trail Tech X2 look like it was the stock KTM headlight. i think he paid $120 and it comes with the headlight cowl unit as one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Did it have high and low beam.


Sounds like the setup from Paul aka PW_Garfield, it uses a KTM ATV lense that fits into the stock 09+ headlight shroud. Haven't tried it but I like the other stuff that Paul makes.


Alternatively if you go the $$s, the Baja Designs Squadron LED with a dimmer is a bad ass setup with tons of light, very durable, light and compact. No ballasts and bulbs to fail, which is a common problem with some HID lights.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #4109
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer
 
DRjoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine coast qld
Oddometer: 4,878
How does dimming the led compare to a propper low beam?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #4110
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
How does dimming the led compare to a propper low beam?
I don't have a dimmer yet, but my guess is at least as well as the stock light, but not as well as a proper HID projector with cut-off. So if you are riding mostly on public roads it's probably not the best option. For mostly off road with occasional road use it's awesome though.

I believe that Justin now has one on his 525/570, and there are lots of guys in the Vendors thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Yes I would say with the dimmer it's very acceptable for street use, especially compared to all the glaring HID's cars and bikes run. At the programmed Low Beam setting, it's still plenty of light to ride in traffic with and I don't get irritated flashes from oncoming cars. Already ridden past a few local police cars during the day and night and no issues.

When it opens up, hit the High beam - Oh Yeah!
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014