ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #17071
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,915
Catchy club logos?

This is all very funny, and I can see it is burning up the spare time of many here.

Given that, I really like the abstract logo that would make people think, and then ask about it. What better way to start a conversation with potential new members? I'm not enough of an artsy guy to be able to do it, but I'll throw some stuff on the wall and see if it sticks:

Poe logo is cool. How about somehow combining the RVA cleverly with a black RAVEN? I like this in particular because Poe has history in both Richmond and Petersburg. River, Raven, RVa. There has got to be a great combination in there somewhere.

The James and the Appomattox connect the area. How about twin rivers theme? Both Richmond and Petersburg are on the fall lines of both rivers. Falls guys? Taking a fall? I know, not very strong.

The James connects the entire state from Monterey to Va Beach, and is close to all the best roads we talk about (nickle and dime, Scotsville ferry, etc). With apologies to Joe Walsh, what about the James River Gang or a version thereof? Maybe a stylized JRG overlaid onto the outline of Va boundaries?

That all said, a very wise man whom I've always admired once exclaimed, "I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member" Not sure we need a logo, or t-shirts, or decals, especially involving eating. The Wingers have been derisively described for years as the group that instead of "Lives to Ride, they "Ride to Eat". Is that what we want to be known for? Just sayin....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #17072
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
Well, I got my DR650 back this morning. I got a tip from my craigslist post that it was at a local tow yard. I went there first thing this morning and sure enough there it was. As you can see it had a rough time.
Oh man. That makes me sad.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #17073
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,504
Is this a club now? Do I have to join?

Hope there aren't any DUES!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #17074
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Is this a club now? Do I have to join?

Hope there aren't any DUES!
Being retired military, we'll give you a discount.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #17075
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, add one raven:

Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #17076
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

FWIW - my younger daughter, a really picky eater, was here today. I asked her if she'd ever been to Croakers Spot and she said she had... a couple of times. I was shocked.

Regardless, she gave it 2-thumbs up for the service, quality of food, and the size of the portions.

I think the decision has already been made that, that this is where we will congregate this Friday. I'm pumped, and may give it a test shot later this week.... because I can.

She said she had only been there for dinner.

I'm really curious about the parking. Looks like it may be a little iffy (especially on a Friday) given it's location. Will let ya'll know should I go.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #17077
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Okay, add one raven:

Adding to the mishmash out there:
Just the Raven...
Raven on a bike...
Raven with QR code...
Raven with bike in its mouth or talons...
Raven with QR code in its mouth or talons...
ADV/raven combo (? -- I'm no graphics person, don't ask me.)

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn

MotoMujer screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:21 PM
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #17078
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

This is kinda serious question, but figured I'd ask here anyway...

Do any of you suffer from insomnia (not being able to fall asleep)?

I have never had an issue with this, but here lately over the last couple of mos. I find myself just laying in the bed, tossing and turning, just waiting to nod off, Sometimes I do, but lately I do not. Last night was a good example. I got out of the bed (twice) and went out in the garage, drank a couple of beers, and settled into the family room couch hoping that I would just pass out. That never happened... so I basically just came back out here and stayed for the rest of the night just piddling around. In other words, I didn't sleep a wink last night.

I'm trying to figure out what might have brought this on. Back when I had a real job, the mental stress simply wore me out, and I usually passed out within 5 minutes of laying down. Today, that ain't happening. I'm trying to figure out if I am suffering as the resort of some sort of trauma that happened in my life (PTSD?) . possibly caused by the untimely death of my son and what I saw that fateful day, or what? I now go to bed with the fear that I won't go to sleep, and in that regard, unfortunately, I have not been disappointed; I usually don't.

There are no issues in this family that might have brought this on. All the bills are paid, we essentially have no debt what-so-ever, and what income we do have through Social Security and the meager garage income has kept us sufficiently afloat and financially solvent. In addition, there are no medical issues for any of us that I am aware of that might manifest itself into what's going on.

I really hesitate to seek professional help and some sort of crutch (sleeping pills or some other sort of medication) to allow me to simply dose off, and will not do that unless it boils down as being a last ditch effort should this thing not resolve itself . Suffice to say, it's driving me nuts. I damned sure I'm not worrying about where the next Friday RTE will take place.

Thoughts?? Blurt it out, or simply PM me.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #17079
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Do any of you suffer from insomnia (not being able to fall asleep)?

I have never had an issue with this, but here lately over the last couple of mos. I find myself just laying in the bed, tossing and turning, just waiting to nod off, Sometimes I do, but lately I do not. Last night was a good example. I got out of the bed (twice) and went out in the garage, drank a couple of beers, and settled into the family room couch hoping that I would just pass out. That never happened... so I basically just came back out here and stayed for the rest of the night just piddling around. In other words, I didn't sleep a wink last night.

I'm trying to figure out what might have brought this on. Back when I had a real job, the mental stress simply wore me out, and I usually passed out within 5 minutes of laying down. Today, that ain't happening. I'm trying to figure out if I am suffering as the resort of some sort of trauma that happened in my life (PTSD?) . possibly caused by the untimely death of my son and what I saw that fateful day, or what? I now go to bed with the fear that I won't go to sleep, and in that regard, unfortunately, I have not been disappointed; I usually don't.

There are no issues in this family that might have brought this on. All the bills are paid, we essentially have no debt what-so-ever, and what income we do have through Social Security and the meager garage income has kept us sufficiently afloat and financially solvent. In addition, there are no medical issues for any of us that I am aware of that might manifest itself into what's going on.

I really hesitate to seek professional help and some sort of crutch (sleeping pills or some other sort of medication) to allow me to simply dose off, and will not do that unless it boils down as being a last ditch effort should this thing not resolve itself . Suffice to say, it's driving me nuts. I damned sure I'm not worrying about where the next Friday RTE will take place.

Thoughts?? Blurt it out, or simply PM me.

I had a brief run with that during grad school. What worked for me was some combo of two things: 1) I totally monkeyed with my schedule, which I kicked off with a 4-day trip during which time I kept busy, and 2) I started kickboxing 4 days a week. If kickboxing isn't your thing, maybe running? Last year I got my body acclimated to the shock of running using free podrunner interval training MP3 downloads.

I hope you kick it soon!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #17080
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,996
insomnia

Guy, I get insomnia at times. For me it comes from not getting the brain sufficiently shut down and the thoughts keep going round and round. I have to read something to distract my brain before I can go to sleep. If that doesn't work I'll take a quarter of a melatonin tablet. It put you too sleep but don't take them for more than a couple days or you won't be able to sleep at all.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #17081
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I had a brief run with that during grad school. What worked for me was some combo of two things: 1) I totally monkeyed with my schedule, which I kicked off with a 4-day trip during which time I kept busy, and 2) I started kickboxing 4 days a week. If kickboxing isn't your thing, maybe running? Last year I got my body acclimated to the shock of running using free podrunner interval training MP3 downloads.

I hope you kick it soon!
Thanks Brenda.. for this and your PM too.

While I'm not beyond kicking the beejesus out of something (customers excluded), I find that the physical stuff I do out here is not physical enough.... even tho' I am on my feet 10-12 hours a day Kinda like the ACE commercial about the purple, not being purple enough. The flip side of that was when I had a real job. While not being terribly physical, there was a lot of daily stress and mental activity that had me drained at the end of the day. Oddly enough, I never worried about any of that once I got home and it never kept me from getting a good, sound sleep.... even tho' there were schedules that were running behind and I knew I had to chew ass the next day to get things moving.

Regardless thank you. We'll figure it out.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #17082
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Guy, I get insomnia at times. For me it comes from not getting the brain sufficiently shut down and the thoughts keep going round and round. I have to read something to distract my brain before I can go to sleep. If that doesn't work I'll take a quarter of a melatonin tablet. It put you too sleep but don't take them for more than a couple days or you won't be able to sleep at all.
Thanks Jeremy.

And that's why I am afraid of using meds to fight this thing. I never needed any of that stuff before (I'm not on any meds for anything to date), and I really hesitate to get on something that might become "addictive" in combating this present problem.

Guy

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #17083
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,650
I did manage to ride in circles around my cul-de-sac with the XR.....its been leaking oil....I was the last one to
work on it so it had to be something I did...turns out I had used one of those 'rolled/folded' sealing washers on
the oil drain plug...it was some sort of crush washer Honda House palmed off on me when they didn't have the
correct one...

Here is what gave it away...

And this is how you remove the drain plug and not lose any oil, throw it down

Time for beer now that I'm convinced its fix proper like

New Belgium Trippel
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #17084
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
insomnia

Guy, I run or workout five out of seven days a week (M-F, 5:45-6:45 am) and sometimes run on Saturday as well. It is a proven fact that regular exercise and a balanced diet (meals eaten at regular intervals-the 3 squares or better yet 5 smaller portioned meals a day) lead to better body rhythms and usually result in better rest. When my head hits the pillow I'm told I'm usually out within 30 seconds.

The YMCA is right up the street...Just sayin. My .02 worth. Hope you solve it soon.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #17085
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Thanks Jeremy.

And that's why I am afraid of using meds to fight this thing. I never needed any of that stuff before (I'm not on any meds for anything to date), and I really hesitate to get on something that might become "addictive" in combating this present problem.

Guy

The Doc in Motorcycle Consumer New had an article about this last month. The beer does not help. Alcohol is a stimulant at first then a depressant. Anyway MCN was touting melatonin. I just read. Of if there is not enough stress send half your monthly check to charity.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote