Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #76
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
What's disappointing to me is that this bike shoulda come with a 19 inch front. Had it had another inch or so of travel on both ends along with a 19inch front this bike would have been a home run for my wife. Basically a cheaper version of BMW's GS650 or a modern version of her Ascot VT500. Seriously,,,,, just how much "handling" does a bike like this need and honestly,,,, my DL handles well enough considering it's use with a 19 inch wheel. It's not like this is a CBR???????

The good thing is that this bike is very cheap to buy new which means real cheap used and even cheaper when a used one gets some patina and miles. I think it'll make my wife a great ride in a couple of years and then maybe the internet will be filled to the brim with folks that have found that "this bike's 19 inch wheel is a great match-up" and "this bike's rear shock is a easy, cheap swap and it's gain ya an inch of travel and better damping adjustment".
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #77
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Sowe finally got one here in Bozeman but they don't have the insurance that allows you to test ride so I guess I will have to wait to go to Spokane and hope they have one.

Meanwhile this one say NC700 on the side, no X. Is there a difference?
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #78
paprides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Not ridden it.
Yet.
I suspect much will be made of its potential as a versatile motorcycle, but until there are hordes of them on the roads, who knows?
On the other hand, it may just spawn another legion of rider's whom are as uh, enthusiastic as KLR rider's are alleged to be parsimonious.
Real world fuel economy being touted in the 60+ MPG, handlebars made from tubing, decent seating position. Helen Two Wheels could likely be commissioned to sew up a tote bag that fits the 21 litre storage area and I wouldn't need a tail bag. In Canada, for about 2k more than a KLR, one gets the extra cylinder, fuel injection, factory heated grips and still enough juice from the alternator to run heated clothing and ABS with a standard transmission and about 60% less 'off asphalt,' capabilities. And, and, and.

Just as well, I can't keep up with my (1/2 my age) nephew on his KTM anyway so more dirt oriented won't be fully utilized by me, but I'll certainly be more comfortable tilting horizons on a two lanes.
paprides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #79
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Well amazingly my wife and I got to take one out from Helena's excellent honda dealer. He just bought the dealership and was great to talk to. We did street, highway, and dirt.

First of all never ride the Honda NC700 and then ride any other engine...it will make them seem way rough and jerky. This engine tranny combo is so smooth. The weight is carried very low down and makes my '01 Dakar seem like it has cement bricks up top. Very easy to ride slow or fast.

Super super smooth.

Then I took out a Tenere....seems smaller than it is riding it except in power but I rode it after the Honda so it seemed a bit unrefined. My wife liked its seating position best.

Now I need to hook up with a Stelvio and then will make up my mind.
Also need to check out tire possibilities for the Honda as its factory tires are way too street oriented...I will need a good nobby.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #80
Artivati
Artivati

Oddometer: 2
Good afternoon from the other side of the water
I had a look at one (including a test ride) almost a fortnight ago.
In brief:

It's a 'pretty' bike.
As it's a Honda it'll be utterly reliable, and there didn't seem to be any misaligned panels etc.
The engine's low rev limit can take some getting used to: overtaking dilemma... mid-overtaking gearchanges would be the norm'. Don't like that.
Controls were nice and light; a low saddle height; all very comfortable.
So, all very good, eh?

Er, no!

It felt (sorry Honda) cheaply made, 'brittle' and unsubstantial.
One minor tumble and all that exposed bodywork plastic would be testing your credit card's limit.
It'll be a wonderful commuting bike.
The biking equivalent of falling into a coma.

I guess that over the last two and a half years I have been thoroughly spoilt with my bike (of which more in a moment), but I had been thinking about a possible replacement for my current steed, so paid the Honda dealership a visit to satisfy my curiousity.

And my current bike...

A 2010 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere in black , with 10,000 miles on the clock and a veteran of an 18 day ride up to Nordkapp in May 2010, 12 days down to southern Spain and Portugal in late May 2011 and 10 days to Geiranger in Norway in three weeks time (mid September 2012).

I'm not a 'nutcase' rider, far from it... I'm boringly steady.

But, should I wake up one morning, and coaxed by the wee devil sitting on my right shoulder urging me to be a 'bit of a devil' myself, then the Tenere wouldn't disappoint!

The Tenere is everything the NC700X isn't... and the Tenere is as reliable and potentially as economical as the Honda.

Granted, the Honda is great at traffic lights and junctions: I can get both my feet flat down on the tarmac and not have to totter on tip-toe.

But, that aside... Tenere and I still have a few adventure trips planned before the ally panniers are finally put away and I drop by a Guzzi dealership to ask about a nice V7 Classic. Hmm, some day.

Thank you dear reader/viewer if you've made it down this far with me!
Artivati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #81
AdvSplash
Find the world

Oddometer: 46
Wicked Ncx

I ride an NCX, I picked a brand new one up on the 8th June 2012 and to date done just under 8,000 miles on the machine.

It's comfortable, meaningful and has a load of aggression. On road, mild off road it'll get you there in one piece, no different to the wee strom in the earlier post. I could say Suzuki's a known for rusting and 'cheaply' made as so I am told so that may fall to pieces ones it hits the dirt? I can't comment because I haven't ridden one. Same goes for the posted saying the NCX will fall to bits.

The bike soaks up the roads, takes it in its stride and continues to perform.

It's a great all rounder, probably only one of a few I could think of that actually fulfills quite a few purposes.
I wouldn't buy another because I want a true all rounder next time but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with it, I'll probably have it for a little while longer!

'12 Honda NC700X

*One Young Rider. One Destination. One Week.

AdvSplash screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 08:19 AM
AdvSplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #82
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,811
You think a WeeStrom might fall to bits off-road.. but you haven't ridden one....

I can tell you it's not a real off-road bike. It's more of a streetbike, but it is better off-road than a regular streetbike. Also has some advantages on very bad roads (that's what most RTW-riders do, they don't do real off-road much though there may be exceptions..)

The NC700X is still a step further towards the paved roads. But fully capable of going RTW I'm sure. And it seems to be the benchmark in fuel economy.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #83
AdvSplash
Find the world

Cool2 Ncx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
You think a WeeStrom might fall to bits off-road.. but you haven't ridden one....

I can tell you it's not a real off-road bike. It's more of a streetbike, but it is better off-road than a regular streetbike. Also has some advantages on very bad roads (that's what most RTW-riders do, they don't do real off-road much though there may be exceptions..)

The NC700X is still a step further towards the paved roads. But fully capable of going RTW I'm sure. And it seems to be the benchmark in fuel economy.
Pecha that's where you are wrong, I never said it might or might not, I said it 'could' (having never ridden one for a long duration) I also stated I'd never ridden one like many other posts here sounds like people actually haven't 'ridden' the NCX, a short test ride really doesn't count to get a good scope on it's abilities or practicalities :)

I did nearly buy a DL though... just preferred the NCX for my uses.

I think people have an obsession after watching Charley and Ewan of what an adventure bike should be, it should handle the road of bones, be capable of taking 100's of days worth of equipment the rest goes on the 4x4's ;)

I think an adventure bike is defined as what needs to require fulfilling, everyone needs and requirements change and differ, are you buying an 'adventure' bike because you plan to go around the world and dress it to do such or are you just riding to work or the shops for that matter?

There will never be just 'one' adventure bike because it will never cover everyone's needs. That's why I don't understand why people argue about such matters>? ;)

'12 Honda NC700X

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #84
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,811
Ok, Im no native English speaker, as you can probably see.. now that I re-read your post, I get what you meant! Sorry, my mistake.

Yeah, the NC700X could be a bike, that will surprise many in what it can actually do (me included I admit I was sceptical, when I first saw it).
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #85
AdvSplash
Find the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Ok, Im no native English speaker, as you can probably see.. now that I re-read your post, I get what you meant! Sorry, my mistake.

Yeah, the NC700X could be a bike, that will surprise many in what it can actually do (me included I admit I was sceptical, when I first saw it).
No worries Pecha, sorry after reading my reply, I can assure you I wasn't digging or getting at you, I understand what you mean and agree! :)

I think, as the NC is a new concept there is a long way to go, years of development and feedback.. I'm hoping it will improve.. then I think there could be potential for it to be an Adventure bike.

'12 Honda NC700X

Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #86
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Just a tag , I was walking through the honda dealer yesterday and this bike caught my eye . Funny I was telling the dealer that I was looking at a Vstrom for next year and he mentioned the XR 650 and did not even bring up the NC700 setting in the front of the show room . I thought I must have been wrong on what honda had in mind with the design .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #87
cdbren
n00b

If I wanted something that costs $14,000 and only got 35-40 mpg I'd just go and buy
a brand new small Honda automobile. My 1980 Honda that costs $800 gets better
mileage than that and is fun to ride. It can over take just fine on the highway too at
400cc's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artivati View Post
Good afternoon from the other side of the water
I had a look at one (including a test ride) almost a fortnight ago.
In brief:

It's a 'pretty' bike.
As it's a Honda it'll be utterly reliable, and there didn't seem to be any misaligned panels etc.
The engine's low rev limit can take some getting used to: overtaking dilemma... mid-overtaking gearchanges would be the norm'. Don't like that.
Controls were nice and light; a low saddle height; all very comfortable.
So, all very good, eh?

Er, no!

It felt (sorry Honda) cheaply made, 'brittle' and unsubstantial.
One minor tumble and all that exposed bodywork plastic would be testing your credit card's limit.
It'll be a wonderful commuting bike.
The biking equivalent of falling into a coma.

I guess that over the last two and a half years I have been thoroughly spoilt with my bike (of which more in a moment), but I had been thinking about a possible replacement for my current steed, so paid the Honda dealership a visit to satisfy my curiousity.

And my current bike...

A 2010 Yamaha XT660Z Tenere in black , with 10,000 miles on the clock and a veteran of an 18 day ride up to Nordkapp in May 2010, 12 days down to southern Spain and Portugal in late May 2011 and 10 days to Geiranger in Norway in three weeks time (mid September 2012).

I'm not a 'nutcase' rider, far from it... I'm boringly steady.

But, should I wake up one morning, and coaxed by the wee devil sitting on my right shoulder urging me to be a 'bit of a devil' myself, then the Tenere wouldn't disappoint!

The Tenere is everything the NC700X isn't... and the Tenere is as reliable and potentially as economical as the Honda.

Granted, the Honda is great at traffic lights and junctions: I can get both my feet flat down on the tarmac and not have to totter on tip-toe.

But, that aside... Tenere and I still have a few adventure trips planned before the ally panniers are finally put away and I drop by a Guzzi dealership to ask about a nice V7 Classic. Hmm, some day.

Thank you dear reader/viewer if you've made it down this far with me!
cdbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #88
cdbren
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
I just cannot see this bike as an "adventure" type, unless any dare out on a scoot down to a restaurant is an "adventure".

The major design flaw is fuel tank orifice. Having it under the rear seat means to gas the NX up one needs to take off the rear luggage first, or never have one, limit yourself to side cases only. 14 L of gas is not more than 300 km of range, is this an adventure?
All other are not big deals one by one, but together they make NX of pure street commuter type. No rear hugger, short front fender, therefore a 100 yards down to a gravel and the bike and the rider are looking like they have finished at Paris -Dakar. Noodles instead of front suspension.
It is another Versys, modern, fun to ride down a street, nice to look at, but otherwise pretty useless in its stock form. The whole impression after a test ride was I rode a cheap toy for real money.

No, with the rear luggage, you can still open the tank just fine. Same with the side bags. They don't hinder the gas seat opening. Only thing that would hinder it is if you had strapped more gear over that.

As for being a toy I believe it is a top seller over in Europe and have not heard anything in many reviews calling it a toy. The suspension is not the best but that is the only negative I have heard about it.
cdbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #89
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
If it is top seller in Europe (which is not supported by market info available) - why I only saw 2 ever and about 1000 GS1200 and probably 100 LTs and loads and loads sportbikes and even some KTM Advs in my daily riding? Including rush hour etc.?
This bike is over 500 cc. It makes insurance here equal with 1200 cc bike etc.
Check BMW sales in 2012. I am not fan of BMW, but must give them credit.
Yet still none of this comes even close to numbers on AP market sales or even North America sales. Honda, Suzuki and Indian brands.
Which has nothing to do with how good or bad particular bike is overall.
bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #90
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
I just cannot see this bike as an "adventure" type, unless any dare out on a scoot down to a restaurant is an "adventure".
The major design flaw is fuel tank orifice. Having it under the rear seat means to gas the NX up one needs to take off the rear luggage first, or never have one, limit yourself to side cases only. 14 L of gas is not more than 300 km of range, is this an adventure?
All other are not big deals one by one, but together they make NX of pure street commuter type. No rear hugger, short front fender, therefore a 100 yards down to a gravel and the bike and the rider are looking like they have finished at Paris -Dakar. Noodles instead of front suspension.
It is another Versys, modern, fun to ride down a street, nice to look at, but otherwise pretty useless in its stock form. The whole impression after a test ride was I rode a cheap toy for real money.
I have went 258 miles (415 km) on 3.42 gallons US at 75.5 mpg. If I would have ran the tank dry, I could have hit the 280 mile(450 km) mark on one tank.
One magazine reported 47 mpg at 85 mph. Now if your intentions are riding 85 mph (136 kph) for the entire tank. Your right.
I have taken my NCX down 30 miles of rough gravel/dirt roads, on a mini adventure and it handled it pretty good. The shocks do need sorted out and a bash plate is on the short list.
But the little bike fared very well for a street bike. I wasn't filthy either.