Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #5401
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,713
Thanks mate -will have a look at the original lever tomorow and see if i can doctor something up
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #5402
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 855
Headshake head-way

I have been trying to finally cure my headshake issue over the last couple of days. This followed after I did an ofroad challenge last week where I kicked butt in the Orange route portions, but then have everybody overtake me again on the link dirt roads. Even an X-Challenge could go faster than me. Headshake started at 105 kph. I could manage 130kph standing up. But I live in South Africa, so that will never be enough...

I thought that a couple of small improvements might be possible, I did not believe that a single break-through would be possible.

The 1st major improvement came I dropped the forks below the flush level of the top Trippel clamp. Its now recessed about 6mm. I was concerned about dropping it that much, but on the Ozzie 690 thread I saw that it was not immediately harmfull.

The 2nd result came after realising that an upwind run on my test gravel road caused more headshake than the downwind runs. I've previously read in the Race Tech Suspension Bible that unbalanced aerodynamics can cause headshake. I've messed around a bit with the hand guards and mirrors at some stage, without effect. This morning I saw that the massive snow shovel front fender was not aligned with the front wheel. Adjusting that cured my headshake after almost 13 months of messing with it. I feel a touch stupid.

The only 3 factors that affected my headshake were sag, front fork height and the fender. In other words the basics. Sag must be in the 70 - 85mm range. The sag for PDS bikes will not work. Adjusting clickers affected comfort and lines through corners, nothing else. Same with fork pre-load and oil level experiments. The Scotts steering damper could not prevent it on dirt roads either, even running the high speed almost complete closed and with sweep set to the max. It did help on tarmac.

Hope this will help someone.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #5403
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

I cut those end sides of my front fender as an experiment and it doesnt stop it
Old 09-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #5404
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
6mos old, 7000km - valve train noise

So this last week I've noticed an increase in engine noise from my '11 ER; specifically from the top-end. I thought it time to have a look at the valve train. Knowing a tight valve train wouldn't really be noisier I figured something was up. It looks like I have a rocker needle bearing about to grind to a halt. Should I change these myself or have the dealer perform the swap under warranty?

Short clip illustrating the buggered bearing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DLzuSiJ51I
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:44 AM   #5405
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
I cut those end sides of my front fender as an experiment and it doesnt stop it
I'm with you, mine wasn't straight / aligned with the wheel axis. I think that the shape is more likely (as opposed to something like a motard fender) to create the dynamic imbalance that will allow incorrect chassis set-up to come to the fore as headshake. From my understanding 2 things must be in place for headshake to occur: incorrect chassis set-up and a trigger. The trigger could be corrugations, aerodynamics, whoops, strong aceeleration that gets the front end light, etc. The focus should really be chassis set-up, as the triggers are likely to be part of off-road riding.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #5406
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I'm with you, mine wasn't straight / aligned with the wheel axis. I think that the shape is more likely (as opposed to something like a motard fender) to create the dynamic imbalance that will allow incorrect chassis set-up to come to the fore as headshake. From my understanding 2 things must be in place for headshake to occur: incorrect chassis set-up and a trigger. The trigger could be corrugations, aerodynamics, whoops, strong aceeleration that gets the front end light, etc. The focus should really be chassis set-up, as the triggers are likely to be part of off-road riding.
I have ordered an windshield today for pickup tomorow that will be interesting if that stops it which is my bet I will post up after 130 kph test ride -seems bigger guys and bikes with windshields dont seem to get the dreaded deathwobbles
Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #5407
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Does anyone know where to find the auxillary starter relay on an 09? all roads are leading to it as the problem for my dead starter. As I understand it the ASR ties the bikes electrical safety devices into the main starter relay i.e. roll over sensor, side stand sensor, clutch sensor) so that if all the right conditions are not met the bike cant be started....which sounds exactly like my problem!!.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #5408
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Does anyone know where to find the auxillary starter relay on an 09? all roads are leading to it as the problem for my dead starter. As I understand it the ASR ties the bikes electrical safety devices into the main starter relay i.e. roll over sensor, side stand sensor, clutch sensor) so that if all the right conditions are not met the bike cant be started....which sounds exactly like my problem!!.
Try a yamaha dealer, some of thier bikes use the same relay. My local dealer let me paw through the bin until I found one.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #5409
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
If you mean the actual location of the relay on your bike,
I don't know offhand but I'd go to one of the online parts
fiches like Munn Racing and find it.
I think I'll do that now, just out of curiosity.

Max
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #5410
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,050
I think the relay you are talking about is just behind the battery to the left. People have had some issues with that relay in the past. Sometimes just loose connections. Mine has had no issues after 3 years of ownership and 11,000 miles.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #5411
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I really like the new Rally Raid tanks. Is the older 990 style headlight set up still able to be fitted? Not too sure I like the new lights look.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #5412
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
I really like the new Rally Raid tanks. Is the older 990 style headlight set up still able to be fitted? Not too sure I like the new lights look.
Yes the new kit will still accept the older 990 headlight and screen
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #5413
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Try a yamaha dealer, some of their bikes use the same relay. My local dealer let me paw through the bin until I found one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey Bob Yamaha pn 4BH-81940-02 Most Yamaha bikes have them, so ask the dealer if you can paw through the relay box.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4828

Paul Jr 8
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #5414
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Wth?
Never seen that before.
How do I turn it off or reset?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #5415
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Wth?
Never seen that before.
How do I turn it off or reset?
That looks to be a function of the Tripmaster. Do you have the switch installed?