Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #331
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamcguide View Post
it looks like the kickstand is still bolted to the motor?
I was noticing the same thing, but I'm done building brackets.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #332
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave70 View Post
Honestly.
What a bunch of eyebrow plucking, back waxing, slack jawed metrosexuals.
'Oooo, its ugly'
Who really gives a flying f**k how it looks?
My old 1000 DS Multi was the benchmark of ugly. It was also without a doubt one of the best bikes I've ever owned.
I would say however, at 230kg wet, it could use a bit of lipo..
Mouais

One of these days, I will fly to Australia, and stay there few weeks to learn their language ... Seems curiously close to that language they speak in western USA's dez ...

Paul Jr 8
Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #333
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Honestly.
'Oooo, its ugly'
My old 1000 DS Multi was the benchmark of ugly. It was also without a doubt one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

ha ha.
i tried the electro suspension on the multi and thought it kind of gimicky so no interest in that. The 150 hp sounds nice if its smooth and has grunt and the bike isnt top heavy, my gripe with the se.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #334
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Not purrdy at all...990 looks much better. Back to the board...hang on its released to the world next month.
I can see an akra and some carbon fitting up nicely. Just checking the dash looks like elec susp which Im not too keen on and would rather my current setup. The styling I'll bet changes a bit before it gets to joe public and lets hope the gap between the screen and dash fixes the buffetting???
Single exh - I can see plenty of room for some aux tanks back there....
Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #335
Dave70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannisdale View Post
Well, you'ld know all about metrosexuals coming from Sydney, Ducky
Though my proximity to Sydney roughly approximates Cumbria to Soho, tis true, we do indeed have our share of ballsac shaving dandy's out west.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #336
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Honestly.
'Oooo, its ugly'

I agree on the looks part but 230kg wet is actually a bit less than the current 990 so there's nothing wrong with that figure....
P.s. go back to page 19 of this thread and see what's written there...
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #337
BartG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Ill remain positive until they launch the bike and show the options (which pisses me off!) to make this a actual ADV bike. Maybe, just Maybe they will release a more dirt focused version.

sump guard, come on, that is basic upgrade number 1!
BartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 AM   #338
-GUV-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Are they two different bikes?
The forks are different in the posted photo's.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.
-GUV- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #339
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Hahahaaaa

I always get a laugh from pre-release speculation threads like this. I could say, don't all you guys have better things to do than comment on something that will undoubtedly look different when it is finally in production, but here I am participating too! So, I just have enough time to jot something here before I whip over to the iPhone 5 forum...

It looks to me like KTM have attempted to address several of the issues you have all been whining about here for years (no wait...they don't listen to feedback from the public do they?)...the three-point attachment for the ever-expanding tanks...the headlight (can only assume they made it work better!)...easier access for oil changes...the windshield, which looks like it could be played with ad-infinitum by any idiot with $20 worth of plexiglass and a jigsaw, and made adjustable with some simple sliders....the wet weight (if what I read is true, that it is in fact lighter than the current 990.

As if anyone has ever put a real sump guard on an adv anyway - they almost all get replaced. Seats...replaced....etc etc etc. It even looks like the design of the tank makes it easy for someone to make an aftermarket camel variety for substantially less than $1600.

My point is, no-one ever made any bike that everyone was 100% happy with...and judging something for how it looks when it isn't even for sale yet...kinda silly (says the proud owner of the ugly-as-sin appliance-white 990)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #340
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Tough crowd around here. I for one do like what i see. I just have to weigh up trading a bulletproof Super Ten for a euro bike with all the character that comes along with it.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #341
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
New Adventure

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...n-september-5/
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #342
ALLAWYN
Letsitle

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
I always get a laugh from pre-release speculation threads like this. I could say, don't all you guys have better things to do than comment on something that will undoubtedly look different when it is finally in production, but here I am participating too! So, I just have enough time to jot something here before I whip over to the iPhone 5 forum...

It looks to me like KTM have attempted to address several of the issues you have all been whining about here for years (no wait...they don't listen to feedback from the public do they?)...the three-point attachment for the ever-expanding tanks...the headlight (can only assume they made it work better!)...easier access for oil changes...the windshield, which looks like it could be played with ad-infinitum by any idiot with $20 worth of plexiglass and a jigsaw, and made adjustable with some simple sliders....the wet weight (if what I read is true, that it is in fact lighter than the current 990.

As if anyone has ever put a real sump guard on an adv anyway - they almost all get replaced. Seats...replaced....etc etc etc. It even looks like the design of the tank makes it easy for someone to make an aftermarket camel variety for substantially less than $1600.

My point is, no-one ever made any bike that everyone was 100% happy with...and judging something for how it looks when it isn't even for sale yet...kinda silly (says the proud owner of the ugly-as-sin appliance-white 990)
+1

I like what I see, and I am very excited about it. Technology is something that MUST be upgraded from time to time, new engine's and so on.....If I look at the R vertion they still cater for riderders like me, OFF ROAD, (2 track 4 X 4 lowrange 1st gear). I ride a 990R and maybe I will keep it, or trade it for the R vertion.

There hasn't been such a well kept secret in our adv biking world for a long time, be prepared to be surprised at the launch, whenever that is going to be.......
ALLAWYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #343
DavidD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAWYN View Post
+1

I like what I see, and I am very excited about it. Technology is something that MUST be upgraded from time to time, new engine's and so on.....If I look at the R vertion they still cater for riderders like me, OFF ROAD, (2 track 4 X 4 lowrange 1st gear). I ride a 990R and maybe I will keep it, or trade it for the R vertion.

There hasn't been such a well kept secret in our adv biking world for a long time, be prepared to be surprised at the launch, whenever that is going to be.......
The launch will be at the Milan show - this November, http://www.eicma.it/en/ though KTM will also take a load of bike journo's somewhere else as well, so they can ride and no doubt trash a few of them

Me and a mate might be riding there on our 990's to see what the bikes look like for real and sus out the competition. Though I'm not looking forward to crossing the Alps in November

The new one will have to be good to make me want to part-ex my R, I know the jury is still out, but maybe with a decent Akro, engine bars, bash plate, pivot pegs etc it will be ok? Though I agree that KTM seem to be following the Triumph Explorer, GS, Ducati Multistrada, Super Ten herd with big power and gadgets - maybe the R version will retain its dirt bias and history back to the Dakar - or maybe they just want to sell more bikes..............

If we make it to the show, I'll post a report and some pics.
DavidD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #344
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,522
there is already quite an active thread discussing the new bike:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784473
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #345
Dave70
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post

My point is, no-one ever made any bike that everyone was 100% happy with..
Correct.
But I submit this is a bike that 100% of riders would at least like to take out for a squirt..