User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
To trials or not to trials that is the question

Hello everyone I am facing a dilemma and need some advice. I currently own a ktm 530exc and a ktm 300xcw. I love both my bikes very much but find i am now riding the 530 more as it is street legal and almost as good offroad. I have been riding for 11 years now and absolutely love the technical gnarly stuff because it is challenging and rewarding. My dad and I make an annual trip to Moab and I love it, I also think it would be an amazing places for a trials bike. My current situation will not allow me to add another bike to the stable and I have found a person potentially willing to trade his 2011 Beta Evo 290 for my 300. So my question is will I regret selling my 300 or will the trials bike be lots of fun and a great tool for practice? I don't want to make the wrong decision but I also know life is short and I am only getting older. Please try to be unbiased and explain how fun and helpful trials bikes are. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any feedback
Brett943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
LCNMRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett943 View Post
Hello everyone I am facing a dilemma and need some advice. I currently own a ktm 530exc and a ktm 300xcw. I love both my bikes very much but find i am now riding the 530 more as it is street legal and almost as good offroad. I have been riding for 11 years now and absolutely love the technical gnarly stuff because it is challenging and rewarding. My dad and I make an annual trip to Moab and I love it, I also think it would be an amazing places for a trials bike. My current situation will not allow me to add another bike to the stable and I have found a person potentially willing to trade his 2011 Beta Evo 290 for my 300. So my question is will I regret selling my 300 or will the trials bike be lots of fun and a great tool for practice? I don't want to make the wrong decision but I also know life is short and I am only getting older. Please try to be unbiased and explain how fun and helpful trials bikes are. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any feedback

Well you just about wrote my story there...I sold my KTM and have never regretted it. I do keep a street legal dual sport around for short commutes and searching for new places to ride my trials bike. My advise, get the beta, find your local club and come ride on the dark side.
LCNMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Get it.

If you want safer fun. keep the big bike, and trade the other one for the Trials bike.
The big bike will keep you safer as you will ride it more sensible. and as for the trials bike, I love it.
Can have fun and never need to leave your backyard. a few tennis balls and your ready to practice.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

So it appears I'm not alone! The 530 is so versatile and thats why if I have to haul my bike out for a really technical ride then might as well have a bike that is quite different and incredibly capable. Thanks for the advice, hope to meet with this guy this weekend to show/see bikes and make a decision.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I'm on the verge of getting a trials bike too, well, maybe.
Any hoo, all you need is some rocks or a couple of logs, at a push an old car & your away. I want one to develop my balance, throttle control, bike control, fitness & technical skills without having to find a dedicated trail area, I can do it in the garden.
On trails they are not fast, you have to stand all the time too, which can get tiring but, they will go anywhere, literally.
When bigger bikes are struggling, the riders exhausted, you can just pootle around them & carry on your way riding an inch perfect line. Great fun & not intimidating.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

I like the where this is going! The standing will be good to build muscle and if I ever feel the need the long range kit is available for beta's with a seat and more fuel capacity
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,528
That question is just ridiculous and not worthy of a response.

Oh yea, consider riding this loop at the TTC on a dual sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9gYu...e8jf4vnTyh5Ctg
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
LCNMRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
That question is just ridiculous and not worthy of a response.

Oh yea, consider riding this loop at the TTC on a dual sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9gYu...e8jf4vnTyh5Ctg
Gotta love that vid. It does tend to flatten the terrian some. There were lots of steep hills you climbed that dont look so steep in the vid. It also leaves out all the heat and humidity. Damm that was a hard hike...
LCNMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

sure am feeling alot of peer pressure here and I like it! Made plans to meet this weekend, you guys gave me the encouragement I needed.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Trade?

Just for kicks what year is that KTM?
Most betas that year would be around 5-5500 ,,,,
So sounds like a great trade as you can get most KTMs for a deal.....
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcycle View Post
Just for kicks what year is that KTM?
Most betas that year would be around 5-5500 ,,,,
So sounds like a great trade as you can get most KTMs for a deal.....

Its a 2010 with approx 45hrs and 1400kms if I remember correctly. I've put the necessary protection on it and stiffer springs front and rear. Trials bikes are not too common in my area and this Beta looks as though it is in great condition (as my bike is). Looking online at other 300's in my province it appears the value of mine would be pretty well equal to his which is good because im going to school right now and cannot afford to buy a 3rd bike.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,654
Buy the trials bike outright. You can never have too many motorcycles.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
Do it!! I rode my trials bike until my 64 year old knees couldn't hack standing all the time!!

Moab is some of the greatest riding!!! Have fun!!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Buy the trials bike outright. You can never have too many motorcycles.
I'd love to but wouldn't be able to swing that for a long time. I have another question for you trials guys out there, even though this bike is a 2011 and looks like it is in great shape from the pictures what specifically should I look for in person? Usual sprocket wear, fork seals and all that good stuff but anything trials specific to judge if its been beat on besides the obvious war wounds?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
Brett943 OP
Adventurer

I am part of the trials club now! Worked out a trade and I must say I am so happy with my new bike. As you all know these bikes are amazing and so much fun to ride. Thanks to everyone for telling me to do it, im definitely glad I did!