Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
If any CRF250L owners reside in Southern California, you should definitely contact Mike at ManRacks.

http://www.manracks.com/master#!__master/suzuki-dr650

Mike makes very nice luggage racks for a variety of Honda, and other motorcycles. I have owned several of Mike's luggage racks, and several of the other products he manufactures. Mike encourages feedback from his customers, and constantly works to refine his products. After a new luggage rack is fabricated, Mike frequently sends out free prototype rakcs for testing, and feedback. Mike has also refined a RotoPax mounting plate for the XR650L luggage racks, so I'm sure he can quickly modify this mounting plate for a CRF250L luggage rack.

Spud
I've contacted Mike - I'm all over the place today

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
can't wait for aftermarket stuff for these little burros. I guess that's the problem with buying a brnad spanking new model, have to wait for everyone to catch up. I'd like a skid plate, rack with saddel bag option, bigger tank, pipe and efi tweak, oh yeah and stiffer springs.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
frost1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
New crf 250l owner here, as well as new Advrider member, and first time ever rider...ever. Now have 17 total lifetime miles under my belt. Took it out on the open road and was brave enough to hit 50 mph. I have to work on shifting, and w/o a tach wasnt sure what gear to be in. Anyway, have no idea as to how to comment on the bike because I have no basis of comparison. However, at my present weight of #240 lb I'm questioning whether this 250 will haul my butt up hills w/o slowing traffic. Coworkers convinced me to start small.

Question, I opted for the 5 year total Honda warranty, and I could cancel for full refund, it is quite pricy. Do members typically go with the extended Honda warranty or just the factory 1 year and "self insure"?

Thanks
frost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost1 View Post
New crf 250l owner here, as well as new Advrider member, and first time ever rider...ever. Now have 17 total lifetime miles under my belt. Took it out on the open road and was brave enough to hit 50 mph. I have to work on shifting, and w/o a tach wasnt sure what gear to be in. Anyway, have no idea as to how to comment on the bike because I have no basis of comparison. However, at my present weight of #240 lb I'm questioning whether this 250 will haul my butt up hills w/o slowing traffic. Coworkers convinced me to start small.

Question, I opted for the 5 year total Honda warranty, and I could cancel for full refund, it is quite pricy. Do members typically go with the extended Honda warranty or just the factory 1 year and "self insure"?

Thanks
Lot's of firsts there , congrats on the new bike! I would imagine the bike will get you up the hills if you're in the correct gear for the situation, depends on the grade you're attempting. You have about 75 lbs on me so maybe someone else can comment but I've had no issues in that respect.

Extended warranties are a personal financial decision. They're not something I'm interested in. I go with the default factory one year. They are a profit center no doubt and I can see some who may benefit by paying up front. The thing is you may go five years and never need to use it. You could take the cost of that extended warranty and stash it away as a rainy day fund if peace of mind is something youre looking for.

joec63 screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 03:53 PM
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
I'm considering Wolfman D12 enduro bags for my CRF. I've already ordered the fender bag. What do you guys think? I'm thinking it will work ok.

I'll be getting the Summits for my Versys at some point soon.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Oddometer: 561
[QUOTE=frost1;19518674

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the new ride. If you don't have all the gear to wear all the time, you might want to transfer the money to the rider extended warranty ;-)

If you are handy with wrenches, then my Honda experience has been their warranty is in their Quality. I've not gotten one on a Honda. One can do the regular maintenance with basic tools. IMHO. If you ride enough to get past the "infant mortality" range in the first year of the regular warranty, the bike should be fine. You are well on your way.

Let us know how it goes... I'm doing the eenie, meanie, minnie, moe between the Honda & Yamaha 250 dual sports. (so perhaps I should not have posted in the "owner's" thread ... yet)

Prosit,
CG
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #22
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks
Congrats on the new bike. Your coworkers are wise. You will go from small to big, then back to small. I've never had anything over a 650. I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. Like another poster said. Get your money back and save it for a rainy day. With a service manual, you can do some stuff yourself, if you like that sort of thing. I'll have a go at some stuff, but if I feel it's over my head. I take it in, but NOT to the dealer. There are a couple of independent shops in my town that know what they're about. I hope it's different in your town. Good luck.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:

Thanks
If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the MSF rider safety course.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Instead of the extended warranty, I suggest you get good, protective riding gear, and wear it all the time. If you have good riding gear, bank the warranty money for future maintenance, tires, gasoline, et cetera.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #24
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
I got a personal message reply from Jungleplant (Mike), the owner of ManRacks. He is working on a luggage rack for the CRF250L. Progress will go faster if someone in Southern California is willing to bring his bike over to Mike's shop.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
infinte loop
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Kicking off the new thread with pics!

I was originally going to post this in the "other" CRF250L thread, but then thought to myself... what is an owner thread without machinery pics!

My new 2013 complete with 451 KM and one thourough cleaning after offroading at Maclean Creek.

Mods include:
  • Changed countersprocket to a 13 tooth (1996-2004 XR250R fits perfect - JT Sprockets JTF1321.13)
  • Removed seat strap
  • Removed front and rear reflectors (rear where the licence plate is was a brick!)
  • Replaced long seat bolts with Yamaha 6MM mushroom heads (P/N 90111-08053)
  • UFO Hand guards
  • Fly Racing Aluminum 3" Rise ATB bar (years of MTB have me liking tall and narrow-ish)
  • Scorpion Racing Heavy Duty Aluminum Skid Plate (2004 - 2011 CRF250X - Slightly modded with one re-drill and a re-bend to the frame hanging plate)
Will be thinking about exhaust and a fuel programmer in the future, but for now just enjoying playing with it as is.

infinte loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I am in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downstater View Post
Thanks joe. Hopefully this will be a troll free post zone haha.

I posted a question on the old thread so I'll repost:

I go overseas all the time for work. If anyone is good at researching and doing some legwork, id be happy to go over and bring back some exhaust cans and rear racks. I know guys in Europe and Asia have had the bike longer and they already have some parts available. Just a thought.

Also I talked to fmf today about another bike and asked again about our pipe for this bike. The engineer said mid November was a safe guess. Group buy?
I like that rack. I think it iss only available in Thailand or Japan
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
TeamJunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
FYI: Turbo city

A friend of mine will be dropping off his new crf250l with 2 miles on it tommorrow at Turbo city for 3 weeks.

Tom will be fabbing up windsheilds,rack,etc

I've been running there windsheilds and rack/saddle bag set up for 3 years now on my drz400 great stuff.
TeamJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #28
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinte loop View Post
I was originally going to post this in the "other" CRF250L thread, but then thought to myself... what is an owner thread without machinery pics!

My new 2013 complete with 451 KM and one thourough cleaning after offroading at Maclean Creek.

Mods include:
  • Changed countersprocket to a 13 tooth (1996-2004 XR250R fits perfect - JT Sprockets JTF1321.13)
  • Removed seat strap
  • Removed front and rear reflectors (rear where the licence plate is was a brick!)
  • Replaced long seat bolts with Yamaha 6MM mushroom heads (P/N 90111-08053)
  • UFO Hand guards
  • Fly Racing Aluminum 3" Rise ATB bar (years of MTB have me liking tall and narrow-ish)
  • Scorpion Racing Heavy Duty Aluminum Skid Plate (2004 - 2011 CRF250X - Slightly modded with one re-drill and a re-bend to the frame hanging plate)
Will be thinking about exhaust and a fuel programmer in the future, but for now just enjoying playing with it as is.

Ricochet has a 250X skid plate.... Hmmm.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #29
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Subscribed and lurking.

Just got the ok from Mrs to pick up one after the holiday season is over. Been looking at the other 250 d/s and sport offerings, this seems to be the one for me. Come on January!

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. The "other one" was mired down with way too much hot air. Hope that won't be the case here.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #30
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:

Thanks

Wow! welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. I'm about 5-10lbs heavier than you and the bike hauls me along at 120km/hr no problem, maybe a downshift on long steep hills. No tach with a new rider can be a pain, but go by the seat of your pants, the higher the frequency of the buzzing the higher the RPM. Once you have the bike broke in, after 300mi/500km per manual, try bouncing it off the rev limiter, while sitting on it, this will give you a good idea on the feel for the RPM when you're on the bike.

This is the smallest bike and the first enduro I've owned, plus my first EFI bike, but I've been tinkering with old Japanese bikes for a while, mainly big inline fours though. If you are mechanically inclined and handy with a wrench then the extended warranty may be overkill, I bought it, just because I have no clue how EFI works and have never frigged with it, plus it includes all oil changes for five years. Like I said if your new to motorcycling and not very handy with a wrench then the warranty is a good idea. If the dealer is friendly then ask to "observe" the maintanence when you take it in for work, this will give you and idea of how it's put together and how to deal with it. I'd recommned getting an owners manual and service manual too for torque specs, tightening sequences, etc.

BTW I'm a new ADV memebr and new CRF250L owner as well, Hi everybody.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote