Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #166
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
At 1500 miles on the clock, the vibes are no more pronounced than the vibes from my Multisrada with the same mileage. I expect them to continue to smooth out as the miles accumulate.
at just under 9,000 miles now... it's breaking in and loosening up nicely.

very smooth going down the road.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #167
zumohamr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
WOW. Just such an attractive bike. Gotta love those head pipes swooping back like that. If you go on appearance alone it makes the GS look dumpy. Even the headlamp assembly looks fast.
zumohamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #168
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,106
Quote:
+1. That was a major "oops" IMO given all the rumors going around that the TigEx originally had a larger tank but it was replaced w/ a smaller one due to aesthetics. Maybe it will show up as an accessory.....

-SM

Yep,,,,,, major "oops" indeed. You mean to tell me that Guzzi can figure out how to make a large tank yet Triumph had two chances to get it right and futzed up both times do to the cries of the Starbucks brigade "too much gas, too top heavy". Seriously, they didn't absoutly have to have 8-9gals but man at least 6-7gal woulda been OK. A 200 mile range on this sorta bike is stupid, stupid because Triumph could have easily engineered a gallon or two more. Looks and "top heavy" bitchers be damned dammit!!!!!!

Now if Guzzi and Tenere could see fit to add cruise now.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #169
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post

Now if Guzzi and Tenere could see fit to add cruise now.
How about this? http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/productinfo.html

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #170
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
...Now if Guzzi ... could see fit to add cruise now.
Add it yourself. Murph's Kits has both the Audiovox and Rostra CC units available. I used the Audiovox on my C-14 and have the Rostra on my Wee-Strom, which is soon to moved over to the NTX. Adapting these cruise control units is not terribly difficult. However, it takes some time and patience.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #171
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, I have the audiovox on my DL and it's been on for quite awhile now with no issues. It is a nice, reliable set-up that isn't too exspensive but it's still an add-on and I would rather have it offered as OEM especially when the vehicle already has FBW throttle and all it would require would be some programing and a switch gear assy.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 09-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #172
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
...I would rather have it offered as OEM especially when the vehicle already has FBW throttle and all it would require would be some programing and a switch gear assy.
Jud,

I can't speak for the Tenere but the NTX is definitely not FBW. It's the old throttle cable (with a return cable) to the left throttle body with a solid, adjustable length link over to the right side. In fact, in looking it over, I think I will have to connect the cable from the Rostra Servo to that solid, cross-bike link. There is not enough space to get into the system at another place.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #173
GanzR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1
agree with review and more

Still have just enough in me to handle a big beasty and had to have one Guz before my riding days are done - so - the Stelvio NTX came set up just like I like. The final thought before purchase was; am I ready for the kind of committment the big Guz would need. I'd ridden some of the 70s models and they were truly of a different nature. So here we go. Got mine on June 26 and had to park it about sixteen days while I rode my KLX in the U. P. of Michigan and my BMW R1200R to the MOA national. I adopted Rose Farm Classics as my dealer and they are the best. So now my trusty Guz has almost 13,000 miles on it and I just love the big horse. Half of my miles were on a 17-day loop ride from NW IL to BC, Taho, CO and back to IL. While up in BC I had a chance to do the kind of mild "non-paved" riding I'm comfortable with and the Guz was totally confidence inspiring. All the things in the review are spot on and it has the best ergonomics for me of any bike I've had.

I've had no big technical issues but there seems to be room for improvement in a few areas. Both of the brackets that attach the accessory running lights fractured within the first 4,000 miles. Replacents are on back order. While on my long ride, both of the mirrors fractured just where the shaft goes into the mirror/signal light assembly within the first 8,000 miles. I used gorilla tape to get home and the dealer had two new ones waiting for me when I got back. However, I'm concerned that with the signal lights contained within the mirror assembly adding weight and perhaps a critical weak point in its construction, in conjunction with some pretty severe vibration at the ends of those big bars, this will be a chronic failure due to design weakness. Thus an improvement is needed since both of the mirrors failed in exactly the same way. My plan is to work with Guzzi on this as I pile on the miles and should get lots more testing in.

I also compare my Stelvio to a BMW but its not a GS but rather the R1200R. They seem to compliment each other as I appreciate the lighter, smoother, more refined aspects of the R more and also love how my grin widens in such a big way when I get back on the Guz.
GanzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #174
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanzR View Post

While on my long ride, both of the mirrors fractured just where the shaft goes into the mirror/signal light assembly within the first 8,000 miles. I used gorilla tape to get home and the dealer had two new ones waiting for me when I got back. However, I'm concerned that with the signal lights contained within the mirror assembly adding weight and perhaps a critical weak point in its construction, in conjunction with some pretty severe vibration at the ends of those big bars, this will be a chronic failure due to design weakness. Thus an improvement is needed since both of the mirrors failed in exactly the same way.

Euro spec Stelvios come with the indicators in the bodywork & ordinary mirrors. I believe some on here have already done the conversion in the US, have a look in the main Stelvio thread.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #175
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanzR View Post
Both of the brackets that attach the accessory running lights fractured within the first 4,000 miles. Replacents are on back order. While on my long ride, both of the mirrors fractured just where the shaft goes into the mirror/signal light assembly within the first 8,000 miles.
Good to know! I thought the new '12 NTX addressed the aux light mount cracking issue by relocating the lights to new dedicated mounts, but it sounds like you have a '12 and they are still cracking??? The brackets they're mounted on look really beefy....I'm amazed they would crack.

Re. the mirrors, I already replaced my stock mirrors with the ones for the Sport and put the indicators back where they belong....in the fairing. The Sport mirrors are rock solid, so I don't anticipate any failures with them. The whole mirror/euro signal "kit" is around $100 from MPH in Houston.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #176
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Jud,

I can't speak for the Tenere but the NTX is definitely not FBW. It's the old throttle cable (with a return cable) to the left throttle body with a solid, adjustable length link over to the right side. In fact, in looking it over, I think I will have to connect the cable from the Rostra Servo to that solid, cross-bike link. There is not enough space to get into the system at another place.
Oh yea,,,,, I was referring to the Tenere as I think it's FBW. Throw some pics up when you get it done just in case I eventually end up with a NTX.
Blue Skies Coming
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #177
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanzR
Thus an improvement is needed since both of the mirrors failed in exactly the same way. My plan is to work with Guzzi on this as I pile on the miles and should get lots more testing in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
Euro spec Stelvios come with the indicators in the bodywork & ordinary mirrors. I believe some on here have already done the conversion in the US, have a look in the main Stelvio thread.
Work with your dealer and get a kit....Guzzi knows.
They just had to meet a strange DOT reg here, all N.A. bikes come this way, but not Euro market.

Done before I took delivery

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #178
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 165
87 octane ???

I didn't see anything about this but what octane fuel is recommended for the Stelvio?
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #179
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by RefJeff View Post
I didn't see anything about this but what octane fuel is recommended for the Stelvio?
From the manual:

Fuel Premium unleaded petrol,
minimum octane rating 95 (NORM)
and 85 (NOMM)

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #180
RefJeff
Is it Friday yet?

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
From the manual:

Fuel Premium unleaded petrol,
minimum octane rating 95 (NORM)
and 85 (NOMM)

-SM
Wow! I wasn't sure I understood what that meant so I did a little research.

NORM = Research Octane Number (RON)
NOMM = Motor Octane Number (MON)

In the US the octance rating on the pump is indicated in a value of (R + M)/2 which is (RON + MON)/2. In other words, this is the average of the NORM (RON) and the NOMM (MON).

Those numbers stated above come out to a recommended octane rating of 90 in the US. The most common grades of gas available in the US are 87, 89, and 93.

So the question is, which grade of gas are you guys using? Is 89 octance close enough to the recommended 90 to be safe for this engine?
RefJeff is offline   Reply With Quote