ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 247 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4876
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,184
Where does the Montana store the pic files and what is the directory they are stored in named? Thinking I can load up geotagged pics from an iphone onto a ZUMO and be able to create an adventure in Basecamp with those pics.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #4877
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Where does the Montana store the pic files and what is the directory they are stored in named? Thinking I can load up geotagged pics from an iphone onto a ZUMO and be able to create an adventure in Basecamp with those pics.
First, I love your signature ;-)

The Montana saves Photos taken with the Camera in the DCIM\1000GRMN\ directory, either on the Montana itself, or on the uSD card, depending on where you have chosen to have photos saved to in [Setup | Camera | Save Photos To].

I just used some iPhone photos to create an adventure this weekend. All you have to do is drag them from your iPhone into your Adventure file displayed in BaseCamp. Super simple drag and drop!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #4878
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 762
adding pictures prior to creating an Adventure

Speaking of pics, so what if my trip pictures were taken with a point-and-shoot that didn't have geotagging?

This is slightly off topic from of all things Montana, but I stumbled on a BC (Win) feature that quickly Geotag's each of your non-Montana photos using a recorded track. Works best if your camera clock and Montana clock were somewhat in sync. Also best if pictures are organized into separate file folders that align to tracks (ie, trip1\day1, trip1\day2, etc). Simply highlight a track and select "Geotag Photos Using Track...". BC will auto-geotag each picture in the folder by matching the create timestamp with the track timestamp. There's options to "Import photo into BC after geotagging" and set an timeshift offset adjustment if the GPS and camera clocks were not exactly in sync. Suggest doing the geotag prior to creating an Adventure. Big time saving and slick feature....

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #4879
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
My Montana 650T will be delivered today....

Should I upgrade the software or wait till the next version comes out? Not knowing how long the unit sat in a warehouse I don't know what version is currently in it.

From reading its sounds like the current update is buggy.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #4880
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
All software is buggy, but if it doesn't affect you then it's no problem. I am on the latest version and don't have any problems with it. I just don't try to hit the menu button when I'm using the data fields dashboard. The rest is all good..

So I would suggest updating.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #4881
waynegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I would put 4.2 on, it is stable.

Quote:

Should I upgrade the software or wait till the next version comes out? Not knowing how long the unit sat in a warehouse I don't know what version is currently in it.

waynegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #4882
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegs View Post
I would put 4.2 on, it is stable.
Yup, I've got a trip coming up starting tomorrow. No way I'm doing an update prior to that. I won't be updating my Sena either.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #4883
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
...I just don't try to hit the menu button when I'm using the data fields dashboard....
Can you post a screenshot of the offending dashboard?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #4884
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

The Montana saves Photos taken with the Camera in the DCIM\1000GRMN\ directory, either on the Montana itself, or on the uSD card, depending on where you have chosen to have photos saved to in [Setup | Camera | Save Photos To].

I just used some iPhone photos to create an adventure this weekend. All you have to do is drag them from your iPhone into your Adventure file displayed in BaseCamp. Super simple drag and drop!
Oh sweet, so you can just do it right in Basecamp using any geotagged photos!

Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #4885
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Speaking of pics, so what if my trip pictures were taken with a point-and-shoot that didn't have geotagging?

This is slightly off topic from of all things Montana, but I stumbled on a BC (Win) feature that quickly Geotag's each of your non-Montana photos using a recorded track. Works best if your camera clock and Montana clock were somewhat in sync. Also best if pictures are organized into separate file folders that align to tracks (ie, trip1\day1, trip1\day2, etc). Simply highlight a track and select "Geotag Photos Using Track...". BC will auto-geotag each picture in the folder by matching the create timestamp with the track timestamp. There's options to "Import photo into BC after geotagging" and set an timeshift offset adjustment if the GPS and camera clocks were not exactly in sync. Suggest doing the geotag prior to creating an Adventure. Big time saving and slick feature....

Not really non Montanna since the 600 doesn't have a camera. Well this gets even better and better. I've got an iPhone app that is supposed to do something similar. Puts a geotag to a picture when you load both the file and the pics up in Lightroom. Problem is, it eats up the battery on the iPhone and doesn't work that well.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #4886
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Scrolling Screen

Just a quick observation from my Gaspe/NB ride last week: I didn't have time to install the rugged mount, so simply carried the Montana in my Aquabox all week. The Montana touch screen began to scroll uncontrollably a couple of times when the sun shined directly into the Aquabox clear screen cover. So, it appears the screen scrolling issue is not just tied to placing the screen protector on the unit, but is a factor of the unit getting above a certain temp.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #4887
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:

If you are just getting it today, load the latest firmware to it (4.40). You have nothing to loose, and thus far only one small bug that I am aware of with 4.40 (see crash 15).

Read these FAQ while you are waiting for the delivery truck :)

Enjoy your new Montana!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #4888
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post

Very cool.....thanks for discovering that!

You can do it in the current Mac version too.

Right click the track and select "Match photos to track" The screens are a little different but it appears to work the same way.

I did notice that it has a warning that the geotaging can not be undone. So I would suggest using copies of the photos especially if you have to do any time-shifting.

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 08:28 AM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #4889
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post

Excellent since I always have my iPhone with me.

Oh, does the Lat/Lon format in Basecamp have to match what the iPhone defaults to?
I'm guessing not since you did not mention it but thought I should ask.

Jon...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #4890
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
In anticipation of creating a BaseCamp Adventure, I made a point of using the camera in my Montana 650 today. I know I can use any camera even if it's not connected to a gps, but the Montana makes it all so easy. I had the unit angled in such a way as I could take quick shots, and still see the map.
That's a great idea (mounting it that way). I'll have to play with that to see if I can get it to work like you did.

Oh, and your pictures look great!

Jon...