Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #31
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post

BTW I'm a new ADV memebr and new CRF250L owner as well, Hi everybody.
Welcome, lots of representation from the Great White North with this bike I see.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #32
frost1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Wow! welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. I'm about 5-10lbs heavier than you and the bike hauls me along at 120km/hr no problem, maybe a downshift on long steep hills. No tach with a new rider can be a pain, but go by the seat of your pants, the higher the frequency of the buzzing the higher the RPM. Once you have the bike broke in, after 300mi/500km per manual, try bouncing it off the rev limiter, while sitting on it, this will give you a good idea on the feel for the RPM when you're on the bike.

This is the smallest bike and the first enduro I've owned, plus my first EFI bike, but I've been tinkering with old Japanese bikes for a while, mainly big inline fours though. If you are mechanically inclined and handy with a wrench then the extended warranty may be overkill, I bought it, just because I have no clue how EFI works and have never frigged with it, plus it includes all oil changes for five years. Like I said if your new to motorcycling and not very handy with a wrench then the warranty is a good idea. If the dealer is friendly then ask to "observe" the maintanence when you take it in for work, this will give you and idea of how it's put together and how to deal with it. I'd recommned getting an owners manual and service manual too for torque specs, tightening sequences, etc.

BTW I'm a new ADV memebr and new CRF250L owner as well, Hi everybody.

Thank you for your reply. The owners manual recommends shifting to 6th at 37mph (60 km/h), I get up to 50mph (80 km/h) and feel like the bike is really working. I twist the throttle and it very slowly accelerates from there. I'm also concerned with winding out the motor too much. For me to hit 75 mph (120 km/h) the bike would be screaming. Is that the case? But w/o a tach I have no idea what it's doing. You mention "bouncing off the rev limiter", how do you define that? I probably do it all the time mistakenly if you mean to rev it up with the clutch in while shifting.... I need to get that under control. It feels like I'm working this bike very hard just to keep up with traffic. Not what I was expecting. But then again I have no point of comparison what so ever. So it could be me and this is how it is. Maybe more of a street tire would help. I'm dropping the extended warranty today because I may actually sell this bike in the coming months once I get my skill level up.

Thanks
frost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #33
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost1 View Post
Thank you for your reply. The owners manual recommends shifting to 6th at 37mph (60 km/h), I get up to 50mph (80 km/h) and feel like the bike is really working. I twist the throttle and it very slowly accelerates from there. I'm also concerned with winding out the motor too much. For me to hit 75 mph (120 km/h) the bike would be screaming. Is that the case? But w/o a tach I have no idea what it's doing. You mention "bouncing off the rev limiter", how do you define that? I probably do it all the time mistakenly if you mean to rev it up with the clutch in while shifting.... I need to get that under control. It feels like I'm working this bike very hard just to keep up with traffic. Not what I was expecting. But then again I have no point of comparison what so ever. So it could be me and this is how it is. Maybe more of a street tire would help. I'm dropping the extended warranty today because I may actually sell this bike in the coming months once I get my skill level up.

Thanks
Well until you have it full broken in i wouldn't try bouncing it off the rev limiter. Engines have an inbuilt limiter that prevents them from reving beyond their safe RPM limit, what it will feel like is the bike dying, then coming back and dying again etc for as long as you keep the throttle pinned. What it is doing is hitting max RPM, then automatically dropping down for a preset amount of time, then going back to max RPM. It's the engines way of telling you to back off. Shifting to 6th at 37 mph is pretty conservative. I've maxed mine out once on the highway, that was in a full racing tuck, down hill and I hit 140km/h, I had the throttle pinned to the stops and never hit the rev limiter, I don't think I could on this bike, I think my weight and the wind ressitance I casue because of my size means that the bike is always working and won't hit the rev limiter. ONce you are well beyind the prescribed break in period, and after the first oil and filter change do a little experiment. Sit on the bike with it off the sidestand, in neutral and progressively increase throttle input, it can be scary but I;ve done it one 30 year old inline fours of questionable upkeep, this allows you to gauge the RPM limits with the seat of the pants meter. I certainly don;t recommmedn it on a brand new engine as the first 500-1000km is still the bedding in time fro all the moving bits, excessive RPm in this period can either cause them to not bed in properly or destroy themselves. After the break in period though it would take pretty poor vehicle operation to destroy a modern engine. Like Isaid they are made with automatic safeguards that will prevent you from blowing them up.

I would imagine that an engine like this one, originally designed for the CBR250R, would have a pretty high RPM limit, not as high as an inline four mind you, but higher than you would think, they were originally designed for a diminutive race rep bike. I haebn't done any diggin yet but I imagine there is info on CBR250R owners boards as to RPM limits and when the rev limiter will kick in. They are still the same engine with the same dimensions and specs, changes to exhaust and intake have changed the power delivery and I imagien the rev limiter has been lowered, but it's the same engine and will have the same physical limits as the CBR engine.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #34
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the beginning of this video, about the 30 sec mark, you can hear it hit the rev limiter then the wind noise gets to be too loud. You're being conservative on the RPM's which you should be until it's broken in. The motor isn't straining, it was designed to run at high RPM's. It can be disconcerting to a new rider but it's normal. It slowly accelerates in 6th @50mph because you're not on the powerband. When I'm on the highway I don't shift to 6th until about 60mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZVS_MkWKI

joec63 screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 06:48 AM
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #35
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
anyone contacted Wolfman or Berg to get the process started on side racks?
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

Wolfman might also be interested in doing one of their rear racks too.
Wolfman is about 4 miles from our house, I can ride mine over and show him. Problem is that we are on the road on vacation and won't be back till the end of next week.....

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #36
frost1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
In the beginning of this video, about the 30 sec mark, you can hear it hit the rev limiter then the wind noise gets to be too loud. You're being conservative on the RPM's which you should be until it's broken in. The motor isn't straining, it was designed to run at high RPM's. It can be disconcerting to a new rider but it's normal. It slowly accelerates in 6th @50mph because you're not on the powerband. When I'm on the highway I don't shift to 6th until about 60mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZVS_MkWKI
Awesome video, very helpful. When I bought the bike the dealer sold me on the extended warranty by telling me I could over rev the engine, hence I was concerned about over reving the engine. But the description you guys have given me is much more useful.

Thanks
frost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #37
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by frost1 View Post
Awesome video, very helpful. When I bought the bike the dealer sold me on the extended warranty by telling me I could over rev the engine, hence I was concerned about over reving the engine. But the description you guys have given me is much more useful.

Thanks
If you over rev'd the engine, and the dealer could prove it, they most likely wouldn't pay on the warranty anyway. Most dealers will do what ever it takes, not to honor a warranty claim.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #38
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scorpion makes good stuff!

Quote:
Hi Joe

Yes we will be looking at a skid plate design for the 250L. We hope to be
designing it within the next month or so. We will also be designing a radiator
guard while the bike is here for R&D. Check back with us in a month or so to
see how we made out.

Best regards,

Steve Vander Helm
Scorpion Racing Inc.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #39
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,176
Hi everyone - I'm looking for a new DS bike to use in the US, and was wondering if anyone has ridden both the Yamaha WR250R and this new CRF250L and can make any useful comparisons - certainly the price is very competitive in the US, and I do like my Hondas!

Looking forward to some insight, which knowing me I will comprehensively ignore - I like pretty, shiny things!

Jxx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #40
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Hi everyone - I'm looking for a new DS bike to use in the US, and was wondering if anyone has ridden both the Yamaha WR250R and this new CRF250L and can make any useful comparisons - certainly the price is very competitive in the US, and I do like my Hondas!

Looking forward to some insight, which knowing me I will comprehensively ignore - I like pretty, shiny things!

Jxx
Have you seen this thread?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816708
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
infinte loop
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Scorpion rad brace...

Quote:
Scorpion makes good stuff!
Agreed on Scorpion quality. Really like the plate I put on. Helps a bit with frame stiffness as well (not a ton, but I found it a bit improved, especially on choppy road corners at speed)

I too am interested in the radiator brace. I can't seem to find the link, but there was a mention in one of the Asia forums from a Thai rider who dropped his CRF250L on the radiator side, and apperently it bent back into the cooling fan which then left a good sized dent in the rad.

I will say the rad does seem - from memory as I no longer have the bike - a bit wiggly compared to my 09 KLX250 rad's.

Plus -- it means more farkles!
infinte loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #42
infinte loop
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Giant Loop Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
nice. sounds like there will be aftermarket coming in soon.
having a 4+ gallon tank, comfy seat and beefy skid plate is essential for western touring and day riding.

anyone contacted Wolfman or Berg to get the process started on side racks?
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/
http://brmoto.com/

Wolfman might also be interested in doing one of their rear racks too.

Obviously Giant Loop Coyote bag will fit on the bike as is
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/products/coyote-saddlebag

I'm sure Happy Trails also would like a bike in for various products
http://www.happy-trail.com/

The Giant Loop Coyote option interests me greatly. I like soft bags, especially when grinding my through dense single track on the way to the fishing hole

There is a set availible to try locally for fit I belive. Going on Saturday to confirm it's existance and to try it for lay out / fit. The pipe is so well protected for heat on the CRF250L, that I suspect that all I really will be looking at is mount points and tail position.

Will let you know what I find out if I can get one to try on the bike.

Would sure like a rear rack though... rather than having it sit on the plastic directly... hmmmm.

infinte loop screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 07:48 PM
infinte loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #43
Secondcreekrider
Secondcreekrider

Oddometer: 12
700 miles now, first oil change done. It is a keeper.

I'm a Honda guy. So won't try to convince those on the fence that this is the bike for them. I am enjoying the new ride though. Will mod as aftermarket options come out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Secondcreekrider screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 04:59 PM
Secondcreekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #44
taninthai
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Well until you have it full broken in i wouldn't try bouncing it off the rev limiter. Engines have an inbuilt limiter that prevents them from reving beyond their safe RPM limit, what it will feel like is the bike dying, then coming back and dying again etc for as long as you keep the throttle pinned. What it is doing is hitting max RPM, then automatically dropping down for a preset amount of time, then going back to max RPM. It's the engines way of telling you to back off. Shifting to 6th at 37 mph is pretty conservative. I've maxed mine out once on the highway, that was in a full racing tuck, down hill and I hit 140km/h, I had the throttle pinned to the stops and never hit the rev limiter, I don't think I could on this bike, I think my weight and the wind ressitance I casue because of my size means that the bike is always working and won't hit the rev limiter. ONce you are well beyind the prescribed break in period, and after the first oil and filter change do a little experiment. Sit on the bike with it off the sidestand, in neutral and progressively increase throttle input, it can be scary but I;ve done it one 30 year old inline fours of questionable upkeep, this allows you to gauge the RPM limits with the seat of the pants meter. I certainly don;t recommmedn it on a brand new engine as the first 500-1000km is still the bedding in time fro all the moving bits, excessive RPm in this period can either cause them to not bed in properly or destroy themselves. After the break in period though it would take pretty poor vehicle operation to destroy a modern engine. Like Isaid they are made with automatic safeguards that will prevent you from blowing them up.

I would imagine that an engine like this one, originally designed for the CBR250R, would have a pretty high RPM limit, not as high as an inline four mind you, but higher than you would think, they were originally designed for a diminutive race rep bike. I haebn't done any diggin yet but I imagine there is info on CBR250R owners boards as to RPM limits and when the rev limiter will kick in. They are still the same engine with the same dimensions and specs, changes to exhaust and intake have changed the power delivery and I imagien the rev limiter has been lowered, but it's the same engine and will have the same physical limits as the CBR engine.
I have had mine bouncing of the rev limiter in 5th gear with the speedo reading 130 km/r gps reading 121 km/r

Regarding the warranty in thailand we get 3 years on frame and 5 years on engine or 30,000km /50,000km which ever comes first this is all included in original price nothing extra to pay
taninthai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #45
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Ah, I should have searched harder - thanks Joe - and informative [and entertaining!] read!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote