ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #571
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
From a ride to Northern New Brunswick earlier this year.

Sorry for the noob question but how do you get a moon pic this clear?

I tried last full moon but all I got was a light spot...

I know my compact camera is old and rather limited (canon powershot a720is) but it can take a clear night pic.

I tried the max exposure time of 15 seconds and experimented with several f values but none was good... I used a tripod, of course...

I am still in the very early stages of understanding the photography so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #572
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa_Twin View Post

I know my compact camera is old and rather limited (canon powershot a720is) but it can take a clear night pic.

I tried the max exposure time of 15 seconds and experimented with several f values but none was good... I used a tripod, of course...

I am still in the very early stages of understanding the photography so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Please pardon but I copied your very nice image of the moon and "doctored" it just a bit. All I did was darken the sky and lighten/sharpen the moon. Here are the results:

I find that digital shoots a little "flat." In full daylight, I tend to shoot from f.03 to f.07 underder exposed to help with contrast. My suggestion would be find a photo program you like and start playing with your images. You may want to copy the photos you'll alter to a seperate folder so, if you mess something up, you'll have the original in another location.

I deleted your photo from my pictures. I hope I didn't offend.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #573
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 953
Quote:

Thanks.
I took a look at the EXIF data for those shots and can tell you that he used 1/250 sec. exposure time with f6.3 (aprature priority) on a 200mm lens connected to a Canon 5D Mark II

The moon reflects a lot of light - longer exposures are not always better. That might be a good starting point for your experimentation. Also, any of the EOS series can do either an average light meter reading, or a spot meter reading (actually several more settings as well) which help the camera determine how much light is needed for a particular shot.

Good luck. Moon shots are beautiful but take a bit of work to finally find what works best for your camera (you'll notice I've not posted any )

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #574
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Please pardon but I copied your very nice image of the moon and "doctored" it just a bit. All I did was darken the sky and lighten/sharpen the moon. Here are the results:

I find that digital shoots a little "flat." In full daylight, I tend to shoot from f.03 to f.07 underder exposed to help with contrast. My suggestion would be find a photo program you like and start playing with your images. You may want to copy the photos you'll alter to a seperate folder so, if you mess something up, you'll have the original in another location.

I deleted your photo from my pictures. I hope I didn't offend.

Mike
??? I didn´'t take that photo, I just quoted it when I asked for help... surely you must be confused...
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #575
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
I took a look at the EXIF data for those shots and can tell you that he used 1/250 sec. exposure time with f6.3 (aprature priority) on a 200mm lens connected to a Canon 5D Mark II

The moon reflects a lot of light - longer exposures are not always better. That might be a good starting point for your experimentation. Also, any of the EOS series can do either an average light meter reading, or a spot meter reading (actually several more settings as well) which help the camera determine how much light is needed for a particular shot.

Good luck. Moon shots are beautiful but take a bit of work to finally find what works best for your camera (you'll notice I've not posted any )

jdg
one quarter of a second... no wonder mine were all over-exposed... I guess it'll be a loooooooong time before I even dare thinking about posting a moon picture here...

Thank for your kind help

Now, if I could only understand where you were able to find the Exif data... I can't see it under properties, not even after downloading the pic to my computer... another noob question, I know but if you don't ask...

Cheers
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #576
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
one quarter of a second... no wonder mine were all over-exposed... I guess it'll be a loooooooong time before I even dare thinking about posting a moon picture here...

Thank for your kind help

Now, if I could only understand where you were able to find the Exif data... I can't see it under properties, not even after downloading the pic to my computer... another noob question, I know but if you don't ask...

Cheers
You need a program that will read EXIF data. Assuming you're on Windows Irfanview will as long as you also download and install the Plug Ins.
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #577
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 953
Quote:

Thank for your kind help

Cheers
I'm using FireFox for my primary browser and there is a Plug-in for it (EXIF Viewer). Once installed, right click and if the EXIF data was saved when the photo was saved to the storage site, you'll see it.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #578
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

I googled for it and found it

Thanks gents for you kind help
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #579
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post

jdg
Aiy, 5D mII, 200MM, that explains it, because I can not get much better than that with a 50d and a 100-400mm L series lens.

Here are some of my better moon pictures. All of the moon pics where taken with a 50D, 100-400L series lens.

I need to go back and play with this one in Aperture

And here is a bonus lighting shot:
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #580
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Nocturnal? Let's see your night photos!

Quote:
??? I didn´'t take that photo, I just quoted it when I asked for help... surely you must be confused...
Sorry, should have read the post better. No offense intended.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #581
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
And here is a bonus lighting shot:
I'd like to play with lightning, unfortunately we almost never get it in Los Angeles and it hasn't been corporative when I've travelled. I think the last good lightning storm I was in was in 2003.

As for the moon at night..

Edit - Wow Facebook scaling killed that image. I'll try to get a better cut when I get home.

Although it's a whole lot easier to catch in the day!
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #582
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Early start...

EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #583
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,340
A couple from tonight's Rampart run.

Parker/Castle Rock in the distance

Loving this 12-24 ultrawide.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #584
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561

EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #585
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 256
Mt. Cheaha, the highest point in Alabama...

Getting a local TAG...

jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote