ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 207 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #4891
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Excellent since I always have my iPhone with me.

Oh, does the Lat/Lon format in Basecamp have to match what the iPhone defaults to?
I'm guessing not since you did not mention it but thought I should ask.

Jon...
No. BaseCamp reads them all and converts them to your preference. Too easy!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #4892
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I'm assuming it will use the capture time in the metadata of the photo and not the file time (i.e. a edited picture)?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #4893
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Excellent!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #4894
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
...I've got an iPhone app that is supposed to do something similar. Puts a geotag to a picture when you load both the file and the pics up in Lightroom. Problem is, it eats up the battery on the iPhone and doesn't work that well.
Why not just do it all in lightroom?... use Jeffery Friedl's plugin, and it matches up your .gpx track with time stamps on your photos. Been using it for ages, works great. I also use his Smugmug uploader plugin -- mucho mas better than the native LR one.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #4895
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Why not just do it all in lightroom?... use Jeffery Friedl's plugin, and it matches up your .gpx track with time stamps on your photos. Been using it for ages, works great. I also use his Smugmug uploader plugin -- mucho mas better than the native LR one.
Thanks for the link. Had no idea about that plug in. Still somewhat of a LR noob

Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #4896
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Thanks for the link. Had no idea about that plug in. Still somewhat of a LR noob
Gotta say, I'm a big fan of the philosophy: little jobs for little processors, big jobs for big processors.

Well-designed task-specific gadgets are always going to be better than multi-function ones. I still use an iPod for music. A wristwatch to tell time. I want my cameras to shoot RAW, and I'll process on a desktop. Likewise I want my GPS to tell me where I am, and where I want to go. I'll create routes and adventures and write ride reports and geotag photos, etc. on the big computer.

I'd have less of an issue with the Montana trying to be a camera and cell phone and fax machine and whatever other functions they're trying to stuff in there if they could just get the basics down cold; no crashes, no bugs.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #4897
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtSqtr View Post
I think thats my plan. going to buy new CN dvd and get lifetime updates, just have to figure out where to find it. I see the dvd forsale but not the lifetime update is that something id have to call customer support at garmin for? and THANKS for all the help.
Well got my montana...wooowooooo!!!!!!!
well what i ended up doing is buying a 32g card and i just copyed the files off of the card that was in my 60csx... put new 32g card into montana and whola it reads everything. sweet i must of lucked out. looks like my ver of cnna is 2010 but thats still new enough for me for the time being. Now off to the man cave to hard wire the rugged mount.
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #4898
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Gotta say, I'm a big fan of the philosophy: little jobs for little processors, big jobs for big processors.

Well-designed task-specific gadgets are always going to be better than multi-function ones. I still use an iPod for music. A wristwatch to tell time. I want my cameras to shoot RAW, and I'll process on a desktop. Likewise I want my GPS to tell me where I am, and where I want to go. I'll create routes and adventures and write ride reports and geotag photos, etc. on the big computer.

I'd have less of an issue with the Montana trying to be a camera and cell phone and fax machine and whatever other functions they're trying to stuff in there if they could just get the basics down cold; no crashes, no bugs.

I have to agree with you. Most do it all devices do it all mediocrely.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #4899
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
If you are just getting it today, load the latest firmware to it (4.40). You have nothing to loose, and thus far only one small bug that I am aware of with 4.40 (see crash 15).
I too could live with the Map Data Field Dashboard crash but I currently do not recommend v4.40 unless you just want to play with the Adventures feature. This release has turned my Routing into very unreliable code. Up till the install of v4.40 I have had no issues with the Routing on the Montana since the v4.30 update. I have posted several repeatable issues to the Montana Team but will wait until I hear back from them to discuss further since I was not able to isolate the cause in the unit or the data.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #4900
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I currently do not recommend v4.40
Thanks for the heads-up I just rolled back to 4.30 before taking off on my next trip.

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #4901
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

unconscionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I too could live with the Map Data Field Dashboard crash but I currently do not recommend v4.40 unless you just want to play with the Adventures feature. This release has turned my Routing into very unreliable code. Up till the install of v4.40 I have had no issues with the Routing on the Montana since the v4.30 update. I have posted several repeatable issues to the Montana Team but will wait until I hear back from them to discuss further since I was not able to isolate the cause in the unit or the data.

Cheers,
I was able to elicit the crash. I actually went back to v4.20. Leaving for M10 in 2 days. Mother brothers. That was close.

Dear Garmin,
I hate you, (I love you), I hate you... if you'd have called 4.40 a beta release, all would be forgiven, but noooo..... therefore:

Massive thanks to the usual suspects for the heads-up, and the easy access to the 4.20 file, and clear instructions for the downgrade. Deep breath. Everything's gonna be allright. I think I threw up there a little bit for a second.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #4902
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 763
Well said Doctor..I kind of felt some chunks in the back of my throat as well.

Also leaving in 2 days, gulp, close one...
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #4903
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Good thing that Track navigation is outstanding. Sure hope they don't screw with that to much. Although, I would like to be able to switch off the Altitude Transitions when navigating a Track. This is great for trail riding but not so useful and somewhat distracting when you're doing longer/faster surfaces and have Waypoints along the track you DO want to see announced.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #4904
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Ok got an issue....unit crashes when I try to call up a Route I created in Basecamp

650T using City Navigator NT off an SD Card

Route sent directly from basecamp to the GPS.

As soon as the map loads the unit crashes..

Whats the problem?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #4905
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Ok got an issue....unit crashes when I try to call up a Route I created in Basecamp

650T using City Navigator NT off an SD Card

Route sent directly from basecamp to the GPS.

As soon as the map loads the unit crashes..

Whats the problem?
Which map were you using in BC to make the route?

If not the exact same map, routes will not function properly in the Montana.

Best practice at this time is to create all routes in BC with Direct Routing between waypoints, Send to Montana, and then allow the Montana to create it's own Driving/Riding/Pedestrian/Etc. route connecting those waypoints.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote