Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #2371
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley J View Post
Hey Guys,

I've followed this project on and off for the last couple of years and am finally going to make my way out to the Atlantic next summer. So, without digging through a metric shitload of posts, can I get a readers digest of what has been mapped out?

I'm planning to book it through BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan (I lived in each for 10+ year) as well as Manimatoba and Western Ontario in 2 days. Then I'm planning to meander my way to Halifax. I'm looking for some off road sections along the way. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Wes

In a nutshell the TCAT is finished

Within a month the eastern half will be posted and gps files available for download. Still working on the route descriptions, maps, etc

Western half of the route will get posted during the winter months.

Five years and the end is in sight.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
To add a rail trail from North Bay to Sudbury to the TCAT vs HWY 17.
I could have not picked a hotter day to decide to ride the trail from Sudbury to North Bay. I left Panache area just after 2pm and rode up to Caperol to the start of the old rail bed, filled up on gas and water just in case. I started on Caperol lake rd till I saw the rail bed on the right, now it might go all the way into Caperol but I am not sure. At first there are a few whoops but I seemed to be able to manage them quite well. This part of the trail seems like it gets a lot of use, even though I only passed 3 ATV's and two trucks the whole way. It passes quite a few small lakes or ponds along the way and of course not may turns to make lol. The track seems to narrow at time and the trees are trying to take the trail back and at others quite wide. I am guessing that single track and double track parts of the old rail line. There are a few small washouts but nothing an car could not get over. It is hard packed for most of it but some sections are very loose. There are quite a few nice bridges to cross and one that is very high up but about 12' wide, think there are a few you tube vids of it. I was on a bit of a mission so I didn't stop that much had to be home before 8. Told the GF that I left work at 5 and it is a three hour drive home, but I left work at 2 instead to scout the trail. Near the end (North Bay) there is a bridge that is closed and no way around it, but lucky there is a road Riding Stable rd back a km that goes to 17 and back on to Little Sturgeon Rd to the other side of the bridge. Now Riding stable Rd might be the beginning of the trail for some because there is one ditch to drive through and a narrow trail off Main St to get on to the rail bed. As I came into town (North Bay) there is an over pass for Main St and a small trail to the right up to the road. I went past this and over another bridge with rocks blocking the way with no way around so end of the trail and on to the pavement. I went on Main St and it come back out on Hwy 11 where I am guessing will the start will be. Over all this way only added 40 min more to the normal drive on Hwy 17, mainly due some sections I hit 135 km. You can call the cops on me if you want but it's not a public road. So good times solo riding on a hot day with very little traffic. Ted said he will post the pictures I did stop and take.
Thanks Step. The second last puzzle piece solved

How did you not mention the rotting, 70 foot high, no guard rail, old train bridge.

or the cool looking tunnel ?

Thanks again, that was one part of the Ontario section that was bugging me. Lots of spots where pavement is utilized on the route but that stretch of highway (between NorthBay and Sudbury) is long and boring. The old rail line looks perfect

I'll upload and post your pics soon...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #2372
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50

I am sure, for riders who are a long way from Canada and hoping to ride the TCAT, with substantial planning and logistical challenges ahead, "In a nutshell the TCAT is finished" are the words we have been waiting to hear.

Congratulation to all involved in this project!

We are 2 riders from New Zealand, who plan to complete the TCAT during July & August 2013.
10 months to kick-off.

We really would like to hear from others planning similiarly, either on this forum, private message, or private emails, to expand our knowledge base.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #2373
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 937
only 70' high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Thanks Step. The second last puzzle piece solved

How did you not mention the rotting, 70 foot high, no guard rail, old train bridge.

or the cool looking tunnel ?

Thanks again, that was one part of the Ontario section that was bugging me. Lots of spots where pavement is utilized on the route but that stretch of highway (between NorthBay and Sudbury) is long and boring. The old rail line looks perfect

I'll upload and post your pics soon...
I did say there is a high bridge but it is 12' wide and it is not rotting just some holes etc in it. But don't worry the locals burn out the bad parts and replace it with birch trees . As for the tunnel oops well kinda cool. Like I said I was kinda blasting through it to get home and if i knew it was going to be that quick then I would have taken more time and notes etc... Still better then 17

And Ted thanks

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #2374
Gas_Man
Like a New Man

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Within a month the eastern half will be posted and gps files available for download. Still working on the route descriptions, maps, etc

Western half of the route will get posted during the winter months.

Five years and the end is in sight.....

Congratulations Deadly...Quite an accomplishment!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #2375
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
The TCAT is Finished !!

Great work by all those involved.
Going to ride a portion of it starting tomorrow from Timmins to Merrickville. Leaving from Sarnia to start the ride from Timmins. We'll probably take the boring section from Sudbury to NorthBay on 17 but maybe catch the new portion the next time.
Thanks again to all involved for their hard work.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #2376
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,110
Awesome.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #2377
kidcallahan
Dempter or Bust

Oddometer: 81
Oh man!!!!

Who isn't excited?!!!! Can't wait to download the GPS route to start the planning process. Looking forward to the book and maps. So freaking excited!!!!!!
kidcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #2378
DualSPRTfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Lurking

I've been lurking around this thread for some time, and I too just wanted to congratulate all of you who worked on this.

And one more thing for all of your hard work.....

THANK YOU!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #2379
Wesley J
Hoser

Oddometer: 628
Woot!

Looking forward to it! Hope I can ride a significant portion of the eastern part of it next year!

Wes

'07 KTM 990 Adventure
'10 KTM 300 XC-W
Wesley J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #2380
Jack Rabbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSPRTfan View Post
I've been lurking around this thread for some time, and I too just wanted to congratulate all of you who worked on this.

And one more thing for all of your hard work.....

THANK YOU!

Ditto!

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
-John Wayne
Jack Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #2381
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,726

Ah the trestle, yes...

...fond memories of crossing it at WOT on my CR500...good times.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #2382
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR0NK View Post

Ah the trestle, yes...

...fond memories of crossing it at WOT on my CR500...good times.

Sean
Looks like a great place to learn how to wheelie.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #2383
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 395
TCAT & Trestle Tracks

We were just up in that area to ride some of the TCAT from Timmins to Bancroft but missed the Trestle section. Weren't sure how to get there.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #2384
kidcallahan
Dempter or Bust

Oddometer: 81
Gps loaded!!!!!!

Great work guys. So happy it's all done and ready to be explored. Thanks for all the hard work on getting this huge project completed. I know I'm excited. Already loaded the GPS files on my Oregon. Planning is in progress.

Sign me up for a book and maps.
kidcallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2385
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,739
I'm going to the hu rally in barrie this weekend just to see Ted do his presentation on the tcat. ;)

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote