User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #196
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Cool2 End of the road.

It turns out the Winnebago was not that great of a deal after all. 3 cylinders were misfiring under load (bad plug wires/boots) and one not a all, so we though that might be the cause of the knock, but it was not to be. When we changed the plugs, one wouldn't go back in. Upon closer inspection, found a hairline crack in the head. Blown exhaust manifold gasket heated the head unevenly, binding an exhaust valve and (I'm pretty sure) breaking a lifter. So Winnie is done for now.

A couple friends (God bless 'em) are on their way, driving 2400km to bring me my van and haul the motorhome back. It's just not worth putting the time and money into an engine that leaks out of every seal with exhaust manifolds that are stuck on (already had two broken bolts.) So I figure if I don't have to drive it over the continental divide, I should be able to limp it around home for years to come. Or sell it to someone who wants to do the same. Or maybe I will fix it. Who knows.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #197
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
I see you've had a lot of Pine Beetle kill in Northern B.C., too.

Sorry about your Winnie. I think of motorhomes as airplanes: too many complex systems.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #198
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,036
Bummer about the Winnie, hope it didn't totally ruin your trip. My parents have been RVers for decades and literally every time they went anywhere with their truck+fifth wheel, something broke and they were stranded dealing with it for a while, plus the unanticipated $$$$. I had a small 17' travel trailer that I used for a hunting camp for years and that was fine, but I never ever had any interest in dragging that thing across the country. If I take a vehicle, it's my extended cab 4X4 truck with topper and futon bed built up on a platform above the wheel wells, with gear underneath, and a nice big tent for the kids/guests, motorcycles/kayaks/etc. on a flatbed trailer.

Tow your Winnie up to your favorite hunting area and set it up on blocks, then drive in to visit it once in a while!

Welcome home, and kudos to your friends (they're keepers too!).

Doug
Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #199
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 138
I have been following your most excellent RR Ben. Great job as usual! On a sidenote, I have been thoroughly enjoying my WR250R as well. Don't miss the KLR at all. Always great to see the paddling sidebars, as you know that is my other passion. Take care. The offer still stands if you ever want to do a trip east to NB.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #200
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
I see you've had a lot of Pine Beetle kill in Northern B.C., too. Sorry about your Winnie. I think of motorhomes as airplanes: too many complex systems.
Over 18 million hectares affected so far... And agreed re: motorhomes, but it's not the complexity that let me down but the lack of use (being parked for 12 years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Bummer about the Winnie, hope it didn't totally ruin your trip. My parents have been RVers for decades and literally every time they went anywhere with their truck+fifth wheel, something broke and they were stranded dealing with it for a while, plus the unanticipated $$$$. I had a small 17' travel trailer that I used for a hunting camp for years and that was fine, but I never ever had any interest in dragging that thing across the country. If I take a vehicle, it's my extended cab 4X4 truck with topper and futon bed built up on a platform above the wheel wells, with gear underneath, and a nice big tent for the kids/guests, motorcycles/kayaks/etc. on a flatbed trailer.

Tow your Winnie up to your favorite hunting area and set it up on blocks, then drive in to visit it once in a while!

Breakdowns only add to the adventure, though with four kids it might not be the kind of adventure you'd prefer. Once the kids are older it'll likely be Landcruiser and tents. I already have the sleeping platform, stove, icebox, and roof rack with the Cruiser. And I just got a free $850 tent from the North Face (because of a botched warrantee on a $25 pole; now that's product support!)

My favorite hunting area (with my limited time right now) is my yard, so I don't need Winnie for that, but she should still have enough life to drive (albeit at very low RPM) to the river and lake with the family. Anywhere I would stay overnight to hunt won't be accessible by vehicle, never mind a motorhome .

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
I have been following your most excellent RR Ben. Great job as usual! On a sidenote, I have been thoroughly enjoying my WR250R as well. Don't miss the KLR at all. Always great to see the paddling sidebars, as you know that is my other passion. Take care. The offer still stands if you ever want to do a trip east to NB.
Thanks for the kind words and the update on your R2. Glad you like it. I just may take you up on that offer some time, as my canoeing buddy just moved to Quebec and I have a brother/sister in law we need to visit there sometime.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #201
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Ben , so very sorry to hear about the Winnie, but can you imagine the fun that family will have for years to come rehashing this awesome trip? Great stories, better record them for later collections.

I have helped several friends with similar problems and I was told you could replace the engine with a short block or long block quickly . Also I have replaced 2 360 ford 's with junk yard engines. HOpe you do not have too much grief over this.

Great Karma for those friends that you have coming to collect you and yours.

Ride on, best of luck

gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #202
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sacred Headwaters

New video with great scenery from the area.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #203
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,036
I've been an environmental geologist doing cleanups of our polluted groundwater for almost 30 years now and when I ponder what we humans have done in the name of "development" it makes me so sad. I don't really consider myself an "environmentalist" in the strictest sense of the word, I like to think I'm more a "conservationist" - I drive a 4X4 truck, ride a motorcycle just for fun, sometimes even use plastic garbage bags. But in all of that I try to keep in mind where all those resources came from, who and what was or will be affected by my use of them, and what happens to them when I'm done using them. In my small way I try to make a difference while still living as a human being in a modern age. In my career I've seen a lot of horribly contaminated, mined out, utterly "developed" areas but I'm happy to say I think enough of us get it now that we are making positive progress in many arenas.

That was an outstanding video... Thanks, Ben!

Doug
Old 09-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #204
Creekgeek
Kustom User Title

Oddometer: 390
Public discussion for public land use seems like a good idea, eh? Nice pics during the discussion. When did your kayak get wet Ben?
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #205
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,061
i'm not sure why this is in 'day trippin'. this certainly doesn't seem like a day trip to me! i'm lovin' it and your style of puttin' thought to paper. i'll be keepin' an eye towards more of your journey!

i've been lucky enough to see and experience about .00001% of canada and whole-EE-cow just that little bit was pretty. BC looks absolutely fantastic.

lookin' forward to more!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #206
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I like to think I'm more a "conservationist" - I drive a 4X4 truck, ride a motorcycle just for fun, sometimes even use plastic garbage bags. But in all of that I try to keep in mind where all those resources came from, who and what was or will be affected by my use of them, and what happens to them when I'm done using them.
Well said, Doug. I'm in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekgeek View Post
When did your kayak get wet Ben?
Kayak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
this certainly doesn't seem like a day trip to me!
Well, the rules are it has to be a week long for an RR. Some would take more than 3 days to do 3000km, but when you only have 3 days...
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #207
Creekgeek
Kustom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
Kayak?
Had to go back and see that your video clip was titled "Packraft" while I noted you were seated on the floor of the craft using a double bladed paddle similar to how I "kayak". Is "Packraft" different than an inflatable "kayak"? Perhaps I missed the part of this RR where you got to play in the water?

Sorry if I'm out to lunch here. I may be working too hard and reading your posts too late in the dayz. Thanks for all the time and effort you're putting into the story.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #208
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekgeek View Post
Had to go back and see that your video clip was titled "Packraft" while I noted you were seated on the floor of the craft using a double bladed paddle similar to how I "kayak". Is "Packraft" different than an inflatable "kayak"? Perhaps I missed the part of this RR where you got to play in the water?.
Sorry, I thought you were just ribbing me about my packraft (as some Kayakers who have not yet "seen the light" have been known to do . Also the threw me off.

But as far as your question, the packrafting is still yet to come. It's been a little crazy catching up from my "vacation", but I'll get back at it as soon as I can. Not even halfway done my RR yet.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #209
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,333
Looking forward to more....

....from you trip, Ben!!!

And not to muck up the thread too much, I watched this the other night and it was a pretty good watch. Hoping you can get in Canada....couldn't find another link for viewing.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #210
Creekgeek
Kustom User Title

Great. The poking the hornet's nest was my metaphor to poke you into talking about your inflatable girl-friend getting pumped and then wet. Seemed like that would be interesting to some folks, but having only a kayak, there is no pumping, it stays hard. honestly, just thought I was missing the VIP section of this thread that I had not yet made enough posts to access and view. Glad that is not the case... (right?)

Totally appreciate keeping the kids happy, banking points with Momma, while earning credits from your job.