Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
WilderRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Denver to Latin America for 3 months

This trip has been in the back of my mind and in planning stages for years. I have wanted to ride my motorcycle (any one will do, but I really like my DR650) from my house in Denver toward Latin America.

I say Latin America, because I am still not sure how far and all of the countries I will visit. Ideally, I will make it at least to Colombia and visit the areas where my father was born and raised. I had heard many stories from him and my grandparents and I have never seen that area. Because I do not want to rush it, though (and because of all of the headaches of the Darien, etc.), I may leave South America for another trip. I will just have to see when I get to Panama.

But, as I was saying, the window of opportunity finally opened up to take this trip this fall. The bike is now ready, after some new shoes.

The kids still at home (9 and 12) are reasonably situated with school, what I need to do from my job, I can do remotely, and my loving wife is more than capable of holding down the fort while I head off into the jungles of Central America.

My plan is to leave September 21 and start heading south. I want to be home before Christmas. Otherwise, it is a pretty flexible schedule.

I will keep updating this thread as much as I can while I go. Hopefully, I will get to spend some time practicing my Spanish and meeting some fellow travelers along the way.