Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #1066
KC9BIW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I know I may be late in responding to these thread, but for me, I just got done reading it. Amazing ride. For the last year I have been trying to upgrade my KLR, and after reading about the Tigers, it helped me make up my mind. I ended up picking on up yesterday for a matter of a fact. :) Can't wait to get out there and put some miles on it.

Again, amazing trip, looked like a blast!
KC9BIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #1067
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
Congrats! Great to hear going from a KLR to a TIger. I think you will enjoy the extra power! Thanks for commenting on the RR...even though it's been over a year we still look back on this trip with fond memories!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #1068
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
I just finished up with this ride report and thoroughly enjoyed it . You certainly have a gift for words. I love all the information you provided on the bikes. I wish more RR's would include that. For me, it made this the best report I have ever read. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #1069
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Thanks nice to hear...it was one hell of a trip...since then we have bought new 2013 BMW F800GS bikes and MANY have inquired as to why? While the Tigers are no doubt one of the most comfy ADV bike we have ever been on (Due to the Triumph Gel seats) we just did not feel it the day we bought new bikes. This in no way takes away from our review of this bike. It's a great bike.

When pricing out both bikes today, the BMW gives us more for our money. We have luggage that can transfer to the new BMW's. That in itself saved us $4000. BMW has a 3 year unlimited warranty up here plus roadside. BMW has those handle bar controls I love. So in the end...we did buy BMW's and wish BMW would have the same seat as the Triumph. If they ever learn from their competitor and vice versus both bikes would be fantastic. Thanks for stopping by and the kind comments!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #1070
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
BMW saddles seem to work very well for few but not at all for many. I suggest you guys at least look at custom saddle makers such as Rencazo taking a piece of the $4k saved and apply there.

I had a Rencazo on my KTM LC8. Made a HECK of a diff.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #1071
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We have Renazco from our 650's...I am going to look into getting that seat modified for both of us to make them lower. We just need to see if Renazco can do this or someone local. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #1072
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Thanks nice to hear...it was one hell of a trip...since then we have bought new 2013 BMW F800GS bikes and MANY have inquired as to why? While the Tigers are no doubt one of the most comfy ADV bike we have ever been on (Due to the Triumph Gel seats) we just did not feel it the day we bought new bikes. This in no way takes away from our review of this bike. It's a great bike.

When pricing out both bikes today, the BMW gives us more for our money. We have luggage that can transfer to the new BMW's. That in itself saved us $4000. BMW has a 3 year unlimited warranty up here plus roadside. BMW has those handle bar controls I love. So in the end...we did buy BMW's and wish BMW would have the same seat as the Triumph. If they ever learn from their competitor and vice versus both bikes would be fantastic. Thanks for stopping by and the kind comments!
Thanks for the update, I was just talking with a mate of mine who I had told about your trip last year and he had asked what bikes you are now riding. We spent the last two days in different bike shops looking at the latest models. I've pretty much made up my mind to get a Tiger 800XC as my next bike because in this part of the world the Tiger XC is about $6000 cheaper and the extras are also cheaper. Still, buying a bike is such a personal thing and I can understand why you stuck with the BMW's. Happy riding...
Old 09-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1073
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

You are right about buying a bike...I am struggling with the fact I am vertically challenged and meeting the needs for height on the 800GS. My partner has 1 inch on me in seam wise and with the low seat she looks perfect on the 800. For me I am switching back and forth in my head. Maybe a Tiger XC cause I fit the bike and I know I would have the power I feel we are lacking in our present bikes...or stick with the new 700GS and just admit perhaps that is my size bike height wise. Back and forth...going to talk to my sales rep...he is a great guy and give great advise to me.

Have to go back to the dealer and sit and think....Cheryl is happy with her new 800GS and I am sort of in limbo. I guess I could wish for worse things to be pondering eh?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #1074
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
After reading your ride report (loved it) and riding multiple bikes... I just purchased a 2012 Tiger 800xc!!!

Thanks for the great report and honest review of the bike!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #1075
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Congrats...you got a great bike! Glad you got a chance to read this report...was great while it lasted!

We both ended up with '13 BMW F800GS...for numerous reasons but still LOVE the Tiger....enjoy and be safe!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #1076
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 103
WOW awesome report - very informative and then I went over to your site and spent a few more hours picking up knowledge!!! Thanks for all your information.
I too have been trying to decide between the two 800s or a 990 and this and your website have really helped
Thanks again - Keep it up girls :)
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #1077
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Thumb

thanks for stopping by the RR and BLOG. Good luck in your search...all three bikes are nice but all three are different as well.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #1078
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
WOW awesome report - very informative and then I went over to your site and spent a few more hours picking up knowledge!!! Thanks for all your information.
I too have been trying to decide between the two 800s or a 990 and this and your website have really helped
Thanks again - Keep it up girls :)
What did you finally get? Just curious.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #1079
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy View Post
There's a Gort Nelson?

(I know it was a typo, but it's an amusing one)

Hope you're enjoying the ride as much as we're enjoying the report!
Believe it or not I just saw this post and I found it to be hysterical... Better late than never!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #1080
mjindy
oldfriend

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for a great RR

I see you are still checking in occasionally so I'm glad I get a chance to personally thank you. I'm new to this site so I'm reading a lot of RR's. I really enjoyed your trip, it was fun. It must take a lot of time to put it all together while on the road but it must be fulfilling to see that you have reached out to so many that have enjoyed it. Best wishes on your cause as well, Autism is so misunderstood and complex. I'm thankful for you two and for all that you do. You two make a great couple
mjindy is offline   Reply With Quote